Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2019/2020

1184185186187188190»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

16 years since the Invincibles? It’s amazing the difference a top class manager can make. Arsenal held on to Wenger too long but with a top manager building steadily a lot can happen in 2/3 years. Isn’t that what happened with Klopp?

But anyway, today’s our day. I can feel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

micar wrote: »
    It was around the 16 year mark after last winning the league that LFC won the champions league .....2005 doesn't feel like 15 years ago.

Even in 2005 the title win of 1990 seemed like an age for me.

Weirdly enough for me, the Invincibles feels longer than 16 years but Istanbul feels less than 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Maybe this can shed some light on why we didn't get him. £70k per week more than Salah, our highest paid player. Even talks of a new van Dijk contract only have him earning £220k.

Screenshot-20200625-140111.jpg

We paid about 30 million in agents fees this past year (44 million the previous year) despite signing no high profile players in that time so I'm not going to be tossing stones. I'm sure Minamino and Elliott's agents were looked after by us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be fair on the agents fees in the last year the club gave the manager and his coaching staff and the majority of the the squad new long term contracts so that would have involved a lot of agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Weirdly enough for me, the Invincibles feels longer than 16 years but Istanbul feels less than 15.

Interesting little tidbit; Scott Carson and Milan Baros are the only two players from either match day squad from Istanbul that are still playing, and the former is now Man City’s third choice keeper. So he’s got a Champions League medal with Liverpool, and fifteen years later he could be applauding them as they walk out onto the Etihad pitch as Premier League champions.

There’s something very wholesome about that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's great that the wait is almost over, this title needs to be celebrated and enjoyed, never know when it will happen again (hopefully next season).
    I remember the last time liverpool won the league, if anyone had said at the time it would be 30 years before we'd win it again I'd have said they were crazy.
    There were times in that 30 years it looked like we'd never win it again especially with Chelsea's and Man City's spending power. The most frustrating thing was most of the time we didn't even mount a serious title challenge, we only had 3 or 4 genuine title challenges in that time.

A few false dawns along the way too,the Houllier era, Benitez era, that exhilarating 2013/14 season under Rogers, all the while as United accumulated title after title and watching Leicester City win it from nowhere, even last season getting 97 points and still not winning it and then Covid-19 came along and almost ruined our season.

Klopp deserves all the credit that's coming his way, we're so lucky to have him, was delighted when he came first, but, at the time I couldn't see how we'd overtake the likes of Man City.
    He has managed to build an outstanding team of players while still balancing the books. He's brought us back to where we belong, genuinely challenging for and winning major honours year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I thought myself this was just going to be the case for one day, when we lost to Watford & the chance of being invincible went out the window. I thought meh, let them have it, it's the only thing they've had to celebrate bar a nice new set of kits this season.

but low & behold you're right, I've seen it myself, and yes, that must be the reason why, a very good point & acknowledgement.

from my own personal experience once the null & void option was put the bed I've not heard sight nor sound of any of my City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc... friends, colleagues, etc...

all their narratives have eliminated themselves, no more asterisk argument, no more mathematically not won argument, no more null & void, etc... all that's left now is acceptance.

that's why I was so surprised to see Blondie still has people chatting sh1te.

This particular former workmate is very bitter. He will not give Liverpool their dues. He’s still talking shyte so maybe I’d be better off not listening to him anymore. I posted it coz I assumed a lot of other utd fans would be the same. There is a current utd workmate who is more real. He accepts Liverpool are worthy winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's great that the wait is almost over, this title needs to be celebrated and enjoyed, never know when it will happen again (hopefully next season).
    I remember the last time liverpool won the league, if anyone had said at the time it would be 30 years before we'd win it again I'd have said they were crazy.
    There were times in that 30 years it looked like we'd never win it again especially with Chelsea's and Man City's spending power. The most frustrating thing was most of the time we didn't even mount a serious title challenge, we only had 3 or 4 genuine title challenges in that time.

A few false dawns along the way too,the Houllier era, Benitez era, that exhilarating 2013/14 season under Rogers, all the while as United accumulated title after title and watching Leicester City win it from nowhere, even last season getting 97 points and still not winning it and then Covid-19 came along and almost ruined our season.

Klopp deserves all the credit that's coming his way, we're so lucky to have him, was delighted when he came first, but, at the time I couldn't see how we'd overtake the likes of Man City.
    He has managed to build an outstanding team of players while still balancing the books. He's brought us back to where we belong, genuinely challenging for and winning major honours year after year.

Brilliant summary that, nail on head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

It occurred to me last night that today is only the 3rd day since 1990 that we could end the day being Champions. We could have won it on the last day of 13/14 if City had lost, we could have won it on the last day last year if City had drawn, and now we could win it tonight if City draw. Only 3 days in the last 30 years; we've been waiting so long. That's two thirds of my life. The good news of course is today isn't the last day of the season, and if City win tonight we have lots more chances to seal it.

A couple of months ago, I really wanted us to win it on the pitch (with the Palace game in mind so we could win it at home). Since I watched the players playing in empty stadiums, and have had to wait another 3 months (!) I'm now perfectly happy for us to win by City dropping points tonight (winning 'without kicking a ball' as the articles say - what happened to all the ball kicking in the last 31 matches!? :) ). Us winning it 'on the pitch' would mean a lot more to me if there were fans there to watch it and share the moment with the team. But as there isn't, it just doesn't matter to me how we win it, apart from the sooner the better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Football can change quickly though. Look at Liverpool. Many rival fans thought that 4th was Liverpools ceiling 5 years ago.

Brendan Rodgers sacked thread is interesting read..
    Someone like Klopp is rare though, we should know that more than anyone after 30years! Venger was a rarity as well. Arsenal are likely to go through a few more managers before they find the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

517742.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement