Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loki - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There were mid and end credits scenes? I watched and didn't see or hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

CastorTroy wrote: »
    There were mid and end credits scenes? I watched and didn't see or hear anything

There was a "Thanks for visiting the TVA..." announcement near the end but that was it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Fairly average... marvel product is very tired... too much superhero stuff everywhere

Maybe my expectations were too high, second episode is meant to be amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

fritzelly wrote: »
    OK my brain is melting

The scene where Loki takes the Tesseract was in Endgame the movie, it just happened in the past.

My take is that the TVA sits outside of time, which allows them to view all of it.

Enjoyed that first episode, I can see how it hit better for some that disliked the slow development in Wandavision. To me that pacing caused it to feel rushed and I didn't get the emotional connection from them speeding Avengers Loki up to Endgame Loki so quickly - that scene of realisation would have much more impactful if they'd taken their time in getting him there. I can see that it would be a rethread of the previous movies but even spacing it out over another episode would have helped.

They have set things up nicely though. Obviously very interested in what they're doing with the multiverse. Are the TVA lying about there currently just being a single one or will something cause a break and create more that impact the future movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

My take away of how the TVA works is that they're exactly like the Temps Aeternalis in Umbrella Academy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,503 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fairly average... marvel product is very tired... too much superhero stuff everywhere

I honestly think I watched a totally different first episode. That wasn't a standard opening episode of a TV show or a marvel show imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd be very surprised if Loki has actually gone through that development in a matter of seconds. No doubt it resonated but I suspect the series is going to be about him battling with himself figuratively and literally by the looks of it. This is the god of mischief, we've seen him do these fake turnabouts before.

gmisk wrote: »
    I honestly think I watched a totally different first episode. That wasn't a standard opening episode of a TV show or a marvel show imo.

What was totally different about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

No way they're hunting Loki. That's a red herring IMO. To bring back the eternal theory, could it be Mephisto?

Really enjoyed that first episode. The soundtrack is class, love the mood of it. Same goes for the styling. The TVA really feels like a place outside of time. They handled Loki's character progression very well IMO. It landed well and gets him at least a step away from the villain he was in Thor/Avengers. I think the additional realization that "he" caused his mothers death (I don't think that connection was made with prime Loki) helped him quickly see that path he was on was the wrong one. He won't (and shouldn't) be Ragnorak/Endgame Loki but at least we've moved past him being just a villain.

The Infinity Stones moment was quite something.

The whole multiverse thing too should be very interesting to see unravel. I assume this will end with the prime timeline being branched beyond control and it leads in to the Spiderman and Doctor Strange movies. It'll probably ultimately be what introduces the F4 and X-Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm really interested to find out where Loki is at the end of this. Loki had essentially redeemed himself by Ragnarok, and utimately in Infinity War.

The Loki we are dealing with in this show is still the Loki that would hide Odin and steal the throne.

This Loki hasn't been on any of this journey, and it would be silly to think his arc will bring him to the same spot - so where he ends up, and where that sits with Thor, for example, is going to be very interesting.

As others have said, it surely isn't actually Loki that they are chasing - cause it will be a head melter if it is, cause it would have to be THIS Loki (in the future) that they are chasing, and how that would come to be is confusing.

Of course if the 'Sacred Timeline' piece is a bit of BSery it could be Loki from an alternate universe that the Time Keepers don't have any control over. And that Loki could be one that did take over Midgar, and Asgard, and the 9 realms, and Space.... and is now going after Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Marvel confirmed years ago that the scepter had a influence on him in Avengers.

https://www.marvel.com/characters/loki/on-screen

"Offering the God of Mischief dominion over his brother’s favorite realm Earth, Thanos requested the Tesseract in return. Gifted with a Scepter that acted as a mind control device, Loki would be able to influence others. Unbeknownst to him, the Scepter was also influencing him, fueling his hatred over his brother Thor and the inhabitants of Earth."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It wasnt bad I thought.
    Hiddlestones charm elevated it above the normal dumbed down Marvel fare.
    There was too much mumbo jumbo about the timeline though and the powers of the TVA make the other Marvel films seem quite insignificant.

It wasnt bad I thought.
    Hiddlestones charm elevated it above the normal dumbed down Marvel fare.
    There was too much mumbo jumbo about the timeline though and the powers of the TVA make the other Marvel films seem quite insignificant.

I think the agency could have had more of a sadistic edge about it or the whole thing could been a bit darker... maybe I just need to watch Brazil again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think the agency could have had more of a sadistic edge about it or the whole thing could been a bit darker... maybe I just need to watch Brazil again.

Agreed, but you won't get dark with Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Using Captain America's shield as a human pizza slicer wouldn't be something I'd expect my young kids to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I dunno I mean the 2nd thor film is literally called the dark world.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And Agnes killed Sparky, which is pretty dark

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

gmisk wrote: »

Variant !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I wasn't too impressed. It has potential but the overall concept is too close to the Temps Commission in Umbrella Academy, right down to the 60s styling. The quirkiness they are aiming for also reminded me of a weaker version of the audio-visual style of Legion. Worst of all Tom Hiddleston, who I think is normally brilliant, was just 'ok' here. There were quite a few scenes that seemed poorly paced and directed, e.g. during the court scene he's being held back while trying to act really angry and he keeps looking down and then up in a really formulaic cadence that I think was meant to mimic if he was struggling to get free...it was just off. There were many scenes that had the same issue to me, timing not right, expression off etc. It seemed really rushed from a performance PoV.
    Still it's a pilot so I'll give it a chance to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Throw in Loki can astral project and this gets major complicated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,642 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not much to say about this. Got bored watching the first episode. It's really dire and not helped by the production values. I'll give it one more episode but I think I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I wasn't too impressed. It has potential but the overall concept is too close to the Temps Commission in Umbrella Academy, right down to the 60s styling. The quirkiness they are aiming for also reminded me of a weaker version of the audio-visual style of Legion. Worst of all Tom Hiddleston, who I think is normally brilliant, was just 'ok' here. There were quite a few scenes that seemed poorly paced and directed, e.g. during the court scene he's being held back while trying to act really angry and he keeps looking down and then up in a really formulaic cadence that I think was meant to mimic if he was struggling to get free...it was just off. There were many scenes that had the same issue to me, timing not right, expression off etc. It seemed really rushed from a performance PoV.
    Still it's a pilot so I'll give it a chance to grow.

Just a minor correction on this comment. It’s not a pilot. A pilot episode is a standalone episode that is shopped around to networks in the hopes one of them pick it up for a series. So the reason pilot episodes are normally wild is because they are trying to sell a whole series of storylines in one episode. If that series is picked up they sometimes use the pilot as the first episode or even reshoot the pilot with improvements.

This is just the first episode of a season.

I actually liked it a lot. The things you pointed out didn’t even register with me. But now that you pointed them out……… no still fine with me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote: »
    Guessing
    a crux of it will be where the other Loki came from and possibly who he's working for.

ooooooohhhhhh after looking at the scene again I think I see it.. right yeah probably advisable for people to avoid spoilers for the next episode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the first episode and that's more like it. I wass always predisposed to prefer a show starring a character I already liked - but that all came together quite well; especially as it functioned as a catch-up for anyone in the audience who'd forgotten how Loki got here in the first place. Not everyone has encyclopaedic recall of the MCU. The pace dropped out a little during the This Is Your Life sequence but honestly Loki wrestling with his true nature has never not entertained.

That this
    other Loki
    causing havoc was shrouded in darkness made it suspicious enough it won't be exactly what we have been told.

Also, given the setup, presumably this series ends with the TVA in ruins - allowing for the well publicised mutliverse films to take place

That kid after a second watch the one in the French cathedral he looked like one of Wandas boys definitely more to him I'm betting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That kid after a second watch the one in the French cathedral he looked like one of Wandas boys definitely more to him I'm betting.

Oh god not this again. Guys, have we learned nothing from Wandavision? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Ah.... No... let's not jump feet first down any rabbit holes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So, is that kid Mephisto!?!

:P

Kirby wrote: »
    So, is that kid Mephisto!?!

:P

I'm betting he's iron man come again, this thread is gonna be some serious ball breaking isn't it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement