Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loki - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I really enjoyed the episode 3.

Falcon was a bit piddly and not a whole lot of note happened. There was a lack of real characters other than Zemo. Wandavision promised much but ultimately ended with people flying through the air shooting lasers at each other, and the quirk was just for its own sake rather than really contributing to the story.

This feels tighter, the cast is better, Tom Hiddleston would have chemistry with a houseplant, but he bounces well off everyone, and the most recent one was good solid entertainment.

I was waiting for the other foot to drop the whole episode, and I felt genuine tension, which I haven't in most of this Marvel stuff (including the films). I presume there's going to be some kind of switcheroo but I think it'll feel earned.

Hopefully this is them starting to get into their stride. Although I was optimistic before and ultimately felt a bit blue balled by the previous two shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ep1 I enjoyed, Ep2 terrific, Ep3 was a dip for me...it felt like a really big budget Dr who episode...I will stick with it, it's a damn site more interesting than falcon and the winter soldier at least.
    I did enjoy the little details....like Loki not wanting to travel backwards on the train.
    Definitely agree there is some type of switcheroo/projection thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think I've figured out why this show isn't working for me. Not every remotely interesting character deserves their own franchise.
    Loki is known for his banter and cheeky nature but that works in small doses. When the entire runtime is just made up of talky scenes about stuff we already know or can deduce it drags. Probably would like it more if I binge it.

Surely if you binge it, you're getting even larger doses of Loki banter and cheeky nature :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

I think they’ve made a right mess of lokis’ character as the show has gone on. I can accept that he’s a fish out of water and a little unsure initially…but where is the cunning, the nigh on invulnerability (hulk beating) and his unwavering superior confidence\intelect?
    And when some of you said it was like a Dr Who episode, the nail couldn’t have been hit cleaner by a hammer. I mean the Sylvia character was taken straight from the bbc, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

twinex wrote: »
    I think they’ve made a right mess of lokis’ character as the show has gone on. I can accept that he’s a fish out of water and a little unsure initially…but where is the cunning, the nigh on invulnerability (hulk beating) and his unwavering superior confidence\intelect?
    And when some of you said it was like a Dr Who episode, the nail couldn’t have been hit cleaner by a hammer. I mean the Sylvia character was taken straight from the bbc, right?

The greatest trick the devil played is making you believe he isn't there.

Or something like that. I'm expecting a big "here's how I played you all, all this time reveal" towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

Bacchus wrote: »
    The greatest trick the devil played is making you believe he isn't there.

Or something like that. I'm expecting a big "here's how I played you all, all this time reveal" towards the end.

Me too, but as it stands it will only reinforce my dissatisfaction with the show. I expect it but it should be handled more deftly by a many thousand year old "God" of mischief, by which of course I mean the scriptwriters. They’re messing this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

twinex wrote:
    I think they’ve made a right mess of lokis’ character as the show has gone on. I can accept that he’s a fish out of water and a little unsure initially…but where is the cunning, the nigh on invulnerability (hulk beating) and his unwavering superior confidence\intelect? And when some of you said it was like a Dr Who episode, the nail couldn’t have been hit cleaner by a hammer. I mean the Sylvia character was taken straight from the bbc, right?

Exactly. And don't forget, this Loki is literally only after nearly beating the Avengers in New York.

That Loki was a lot more cunning and cut throat than the one we're seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I don't like waiting episode to episode because the individuals episodes themselves are not winning me over.

This is the problem with following the network TV ethos - generally every show was episodic and the odd cliffhanger, it's only recently where a whole season of a show was like one massive movie which Loki could be - the show doesn't jump around, it's following one narrative
    When it's a single story I prefer to digest those shows in one or two sittings, other shows where there maybe an over arching premise I don't mind taking my time
    Weekly episodes was a big problem with Wandavision, Falcon bored me the whole way thru pretty much, but would love to binge Loki
    But Disney has to make sure you don't cancel after your free trial...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It's more about the fact that the weekly schedule means I'm getting that without any payoff for the plot. I like how long it took to reveal the grand plan in WandaVision because I found the individual episodes enjoyable in themselves due to how well they riffed on classic sitcoms. With Loki, however, I am less interested in the small moments and all the talky, talky and just want to get to the point already. I don't like waiting episode to episode because the individuals episodes themselves are not winning me over.

I don’t recommend you watching Lost. That was about 8 seasons of talky talky and they never reached a satisfying point at the end of it.

Spolier Alert.

fritzelly wrote: »
    This is the problem with following the network TV ethos - generally every show was episodic and the odd cliffhanger, it's only recently where a whole season of a show was like one massive movie which Loki could be - the show doesn't jump around, it's following one narrative
    When it's a single story I prefer to digest those shows in one or two sittings, other shows where there maybe an over arching premise I don't mind taking my time
    Weekly episodes was a big problem with Wandavision, Falcon bored me the whole way thru pretty much, but would love to binge Loki
    But Disney has to make sure you don't cancel after your free trial...

I gotta say I’m ok with weekly releases. Gives me something to look forward to each week, and the buzz after every episode is great. You don’t get that if it’s all dumped at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Latest episode was pure muck. Wtf happened? First 2 episodes were great. I know they have to play a bit with their characters to ensure they are “up against it” but they have pretty much destroyed the Loki character in 1 episode by making him a bumbling idiot. Loki is an Asgardian, highly intelligent with magical abilities who went toe-to-toe with some of the most powerful characters. His limitations in the 1st episodes was well done and well explained but all of a sudden he meets a female version of him who it seems is also a bit of an idiot and he is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Thor 3 hinted at this with Loki when on the planet run the grandmaster but this was funny and grandmasters power and unpredictability was evident with Loki obviously playing a long game.

The variant Loki is a terribly written character and the actress is even worse. The chemistry between the 2 is also pretty bad. I don’t even get why or how she is a variant. She seems to have very little in common with him with the exception of the same name and fondness for wearing horns. We are told she is a variant but nothing really shows she is.

The episode really suffered from the lack of Owen Wilson and as somebody said was like a poor episode of dr. Who.

I though Falcon and winter soldier despite having 1.5 good episodes was a blip. Not I’m not so sure. Maybe they can pull it back and this episode was just filler.

Latest episode was pure muck. Wtf happened? First 2 episodes were great. I know they have to play a bit with their characters to ensure they are “up against it” but they have pretty much destroyed the Loki character in 1 episode by making him a bumbling idiot. Loki is an Asgardian, highly intelligent with magical abilities who went toe-to-toe with some of the most powerful characters. His limitations in the 1st episodes was well done and well explained but all of a sudden he meets a female version of him who it seems is also a bit of an idiot and he is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Thor 3 hinted at this with Loki when on the planet run the grandmaster but this was funny and grandmasters power and unpredictability was evident with Loki obviously playing a long game.

The variant Loki is a terribly written character and the actress is even worse. The chemistry between the 2 is also pretty bad. I don’t even get why or how she is a variant. She seems to have very little in common with him with the exception of the same name and fondness for wearing horns. We are told she is a variant but nothing really shows she is.

The episode really suffered from the lack of Owen Wilson and as somebody said was like a poor episode of dr. Who.

I though Falcon and winter soldier despite having 1.5 good episodes was a blip. Not I’m not so sure. Maybe they can pull it back and this episode was just filler.

How was it just filler….. it was an episode designed to introduce us to Sylvie. Seems pretty important in the context of the show to know a lead character that was a mystery up to this episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Was t just me or was the green screen very noticeable in this episode ?

GSPfan wrote: »
    How was it just filler….. it was an episode designed to introduce us to Sylvie. Seems pretty important in the context of the show to know a lead character that was a mystery up to this episode.

Which would be well worth an episode if this was a 22 episode 1st season. But, this is six episodes of a well established Loki, which is probably a one and done effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Thought episode three was pretty poor, enjoyed the first two episodes. I know we are only three episodes into loki but the three marvel series we've gotten so far have been fairly poor overall I think

Exactly. And don't forget, this Loki is literally only after nearly beating the Avengers in New York.

That Loki was a lot more cunning and cut throat than the one we're seeing.

He didn't have much to do with it. He, a god, organised opening a portal on a low-tech world, having been given an Infinity Stone. He then proceeded to get blown up by a guy with a bow and arrow, and then mercilessly thrashed by the Hulk.

Loki has always been a failure, so I don't see what's objectionable about him not being all-conquering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I get that this is Loki from Avengers so he is definitely meant to be still slightly evil and power hungry but let's not forget "Puny god". Even in that movie Marvel weren't afraid to undermine him and make him look slightly bafoonish. Loki has always been someone who is both too clever for his own good but at the same time not as clever as he thinks he is.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that we aren't seeing the full picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I'm not up to speed with episode 3 but Loki has always been played as a Dunning Kruger character, someone who vastly overestimated his own intelligence and sway over people. Mostly as a way of getting around a lingering inferiority complex. I wouldn't buy into any plans within plans mind you, no way we should let ourselves get burned again by the MCU TV series.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not up to speed with episode 3 but Loki has always been played as a Dunning Kruger character, someone who vastly overestimated his own intelligence and sway over people. Mostly as a way of getting around a lingering inferiority complex. I wouldn't buy into any plans within plans mind you, no way we should let ourselves get burned again by the MCU TV series.

I think the difference from what we've seen so far is that Loki doesn't appear to need it, unlike Wandavision. It has much better fundamentals as a show.

It's a "it'd be great if..." situation, vs, "I assume it's going to be... because if it's not, what's the point of this show?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

twinex wrote: »
    Me too, but as it stands it will only reinforce my dissatisfaction with the show. I expect it but it should be handled more deftly by a many thousand year old "God" of mischief, by which of course I mean the scriptwriters. They’re messing this up.

Exactly, in a way you can't win.I'll be annoyed if they have turned him into some kind of bumbling idiot but equally if there is some kind of "oceans 11" reveal at the end showing how he played everyone I'll be annoyed it was so obvious there was a plan because he was being a bumbling idiot.

I like the show so I can't complain too much its just not the angle I maybe would have picked. Eoin Wilson is a delight but unless the really pull something out of the bag it's a watchable missed opportunity for me.

Much like the other two Marvel Series before it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The third episode felt a lot like a video game level. Characters always moving location or fighting, dialogue a bit dodgy. For those saying Loki was a bit of a buffoon this episode and this is out of character, have they not seen Thor Ragnarok- he is an absolute idiot throughout. Female Loki was ok , sure not a strong character but at least has a purpose- and this show definitely needs a character like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't buy into the idea this was a Dr who episode with the serial number filed off, but Episode 3 definitely had a bit of the feel of the interstitial about it; the character moments were nice but nothing to hang an episode over either - and the episode just ending fell flat, like the script had no idea how to wrap it up. For all the money on screen there has often been a lack of polish in these MCU TV shows' scripts; a bit of rambling in the structure and very stop-start. Didn't mind so much at the start, as Owen Wilson made for a great foil to Loki, but without him in this 3rd episode it only highlighted that almost haphazard structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Quite a hectic episode 4.... Good though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mid credit scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And I thought rooting for Danyres and Jon Snow was weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember thinking last week that those batons are a bit extreme. Like their first instinct is to activate them leading to multiple purges that could've been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Really good... So was the TVA in episode 4 the real TVA or just an illusion within an alternative reality to play tricks on lady Loki with the real Loki casting an illusion or what?

Advertisement