Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 year old motorbike license

Options
  • 03-02-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I’m just wondering I passed my learners theory test for a bike if I do the ibt could I buy a 600cc bike on the learner at my age and who’s be the best to get a quote off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Boylan141 wrote: »
    I’m just wondering I passed my learners theory test for a bike if I do the ibt could I buy a 600cc bike on the learner at my age and who’s be the best to get a quote off?

Short answer is no as you have to be 24 to ride a category A bike (> 600cc/35Kw) unless you have held an A2 full licence for 2 years then you can access the bigger bikes by doing a progression module of IBT at age 20.

However a 600cc bike can be restricted to meet the A2 criteria in which case you would be able to ride it after your IBT but you'd need proof of the restriction like a dealer/manufacturer cert.

The RSA (rsa.ie) website has futher info and specifically take a look at the chart at
    https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/bikes_chart_3rd_directive_V2.pdf

There aren't many insurers in Ireland, Principal, Carole Nash & Liberty are the only ones that come to mind and they don't do online quotes (except Liberty but it doesn't work properly). I'd strongly recommend ringing insurers to get quotes on bikes BEFORE buying as you might find it hard to get quotes, given you age, on anything above a 125/250 cc even if it's restricted.

Good luck and even if it seems like a lot of effort and hoops to jump through you will be glad you did! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Also should mention, your IBT instructor should be able to give you some good advice on bikes that will suit you during/after your IBT as well so I'd hold off buying any bike until you've that done at least.

Advertisement