Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home CCTV for Back Garden (Hardwired)

Options
  • 03-02-2020 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We had an Arlo 2 system out the back of our house looking into the garden. At 4am on Friday morning the back garden and shed were broken into and an expensive bike taken. The Arlo took about 16 seconds of footage which was absolutely useless according to Gardaí. Could anyone recommend a hardwired system for the back with light sensor. We will replace the patio light with a wired camera.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Consider please getting a few quotations from a few professional installers in your area.

Anyone can buy the gear, it is training and experience which serves best.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi,

We had an Arlo 2 system out the back of our house looking into the garden. At 4am on Friday morning the back garden and shed were broken into and an expensive bike taken. The Arlo took about 16 seconds of footage which was absolutely useless according to Gardaí. Could anyone recommend a hardwired system for the back with light sensor. We will replace the patio light with a wired camera.

Many thanks,

For hardwired Hikvision cameras are what many professionals use.

If you change your mind and decide to go with a wireless solution I would suggest Nest. These can be installed quickly and back up to the cloud. As such they need strong wifi signal and descent broadband. In terms of image quality you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Blaser1982

what’s the law on gdpr if using cctv in an estate as highly thinking of getting it installed

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mikek1

You could try Satworld.ie in Bluebell D12 if you want a DIY solution. Last time I was in there they had good kits that were inexpensive and easy to install. They also give solid advice. he people who work there know their stuff and are approachable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One thing to keep in mind, even if you get better cameras and a pro install, there is still no guarantees.

Cameras can certainly help dissuade casual thieves, however unfortunately there are some who don't care and will just cover their face and go for it anyway. Such footage even from a good quality camera might not make much difference anyway.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a camera, I think they are well worth it, but also you need to be realistic on what they can do.

It might also be worth looking into if you can get an alarm system for the shed or your home alarm system extended to it. Another option might be outdoor PIR's in the backgarden. An alarm going off, combined with cameras might pose more of a deterrent.

Having said that, when it comes to expensive bikes, if you can, I'd keep it in the house. I learned that lesson myself. Don't keep anything truly valuable in the shed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement