Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi to garage conversion for airbnb

Options
  • 03-02-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, trying to transfer wifi from house to garage conversion. Our house has been extended and the router (eir fibre) is placed in the old part of the house on one circuit. The extension runs off a new circuit. We have two fuseboards.

The garage conversion is at the rear of the property. Router is placed in the front of the house on the old circuit. How do I get wifi out to the garage conversion? Can't lay cables, too late for that. Will wifi extenders work off two different circuits? any help is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

poppi25 wrote: »
    Hi, trying to transfer wifi from house to garage conversion. Our house has been extended and the router (eir fibre) is placed in the old part of the house on one circuit. The extension runs off a new circuit. We have two fuseboards.

The garage conversion is at the rear of the property. Router is placed in the front of the house on the old circuit. How do I get wifi out to the garage conversion? Can't lay cables, too late for that. Will wifi extenders work off two different circuits? any help is appreciated. Thanks
    WiFi AP not necessary have to be in that very room, it might be sufficient to have it in adjacent room or even in the attic above garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 poppi25

WiFi AP not necessary have to be in that very room, it might be sufficient to have it in adjacent room or even in the attic above garage.

Thanks for reply ........I'm wondering what you mean by "wifi AP"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

poppi25 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply ........I'm wondering what you mean by "wifi AP"?

AP = access point.
    Ordinary domestic router can be configured to act like one, but along with Ethernet cable you would need power, what might not be available in the attic.
    Proper AP usually support PoE - no power point needed at deployment location as it is delivered over same Ethernet cable.
    This still require you to run Ethernet cable from your router/switch to the attic.

Advertisement