Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will the numbers be after next election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭samjames

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea look what they’ve done since the formation of the state.
    We live in one of the safest, healthiest countries in the world - shame on them.
    Among the highest educational levels in the world - shame on them.
    Excellent life expectancy - shame on them.

Ireland is a great country to live in, better if you work, and it wasn’t SF that made it this way.
    well the people are not happy and and thats the point here, its proven in the election that their needs are not being addressed, they want change and we need to give all parties a fair crack at it so if SF make it then lets see what they really do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

Well Danny is a shoe in for Minister for the Environment....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

cjpm wrote: »
    Well Danny is a shoe in for Minister for the Environment....

... or Foreign Affairs. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Robson99

samjames wrote: »
    well the people are not happy and and thats the point here, its proven in the election that their needs are not being addressed, they want change and we need to give all parties a fair crack at it so if SF make it then lets see what they really do

God help the honest worker if them shower get in...we would all be better off on the dole

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any idea for next agriculture minister?

Im sure we ll have plenty of grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

... or Foreign Affairs. :D

3owrtc.jpg

Heard a good one tonight ,seinn fein and the greens in government-guns and roses

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think deep down we all know they are all thinking that way. It’s their party roots after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

As Neil Richmond T.D said on Primetime..
    What was David Cullinane about 8yrs old during the hunger strikes ?

I'd say he remembers it well....
    Says it all really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

_Brian wrote: »
    I think deep down we all know they are all thinking that way. It’s their party roots after all.

That's why this has been such an important election , previously SF was a minority party , nothing to worry about , now it has the power it will want to create the state that it wants . Dismantling the free state has always been an objective and creating a united Ireland in their own image.
    These may be legitimate objectives but a lot of vested interests will have to suffer for this to take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Despite the polish on show on the TV, you don't need to cut deep to find the mindset when the TV lights switch off.
    we will throw Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael out

We're returning to the days when masked men will be surrounding your car at night when we don't show the correct level of deference to our new overlords.

It's not all that long ago since a relation of mine had an encounter with some of those 'hero's' who wanted to buy a field that my relation was in negotiation to buy. After getting out of his car after coming home from a pint at his local, 3 lads in balaclavas and shovels appeared and suggested it would be in his best interests not to be buying that plot of ground. A stook of hay was burned in one of his fields later that night to reinforce the point.

Lovely bunch of lads.

Despite the polish on show on the TV, you don't need to cut deep to find the mindset when the TV lights switch off.

We're returning to the days when masked men will be surrounding your car at night when we don't show the correct level of deference to our new overlords.

It's not all that long ago since a relation of mine had an encounter with some of those 'hero's' who wanted to buy a field that my relation was in negotiation to buy. After getting out of his car after coming home from a pint at his local, 3 lads in balaclavas and shovels appeared and suggested it would be in his best interests not to be buying that plot of ground. A stook of hay was burned in one of his fields later that night to reinforce the point.

Lovely bunch of lads.
    Yah they are still active down our way.as.well.anyone who say.s.they.are gone is living in dreamland or denial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

K.G. wrote: »
    Yah they are still active down our way.as.well.anyone who say.s.they.are gone is living in dreamland or denial

I could say more but I'm partial to my kneecaps the way they are currently.

My grand-uncle was the local leader of the IRA during the War Of Independence. My grandfather and my other grand-uncle were heavily involved too - all documented in the bureau of military history. When it came to the centenary commemorations, I was asked to come on the local committee to mark the different events that took place. For one of these, I suggested that we have a minutes silence for the RIC guys that were killed at one of the ambushes. The only silence I got was there and then. :D

I couldn't believe the reaction. Have we not moved on since. When the civil war was over, none of those men were ever in trouble again. They all settled down and lived peaceful lives. Michael McDowell grand-father was Eoin Mac Neill, for example. But the present Sinn Fein supporters, they are clueless when it comes to running a modern democratic economy. It won't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

My grand-uncle was the local leader of the IRA during the War Of Independence. My grandfather and my other grand-uncle were heavily involved too - all documented in the bureau of military history. When it came to the centenary commemorations, I was asked to come on the local committee to mark the different events that took place. For one of these, I suggested that we have a minutes silence for the RIC guys that were killed at one of the ambushes. The only silence I got was there and then. :D

I couldn't believe the reaction. Have we not moved on since. When the civil war was over, none of those men were ever in trouble again. They all settled down and lived peaceful lives. Michael McDowell grand-father was Eoin Mac Neill, for example. But the present Sinn Fein supporters, they are clueless when it comes to running a modern democratic economy. It won't end well.

Two different IRA'S Patsy

Jjameson wrote: »
    It doesn’t suit the black and white narrative. There was a girl on with tommy tiernan last week from the national archive office. She summed it up pretty well.

Ya, I saw that programme. I never knew that census from 1821, 1831, 1841 & 1851 were all destroyed in the Four Courts fire. Huge loss.

There were all manner of church of Ireland records lost stretching back 800 and earlier years(the coi inherited them from the changeover). All sent there for safekeeping. I often wonder was it purposely done for a greenwashing job in the new free state? And not in the environmental sense!
    Or was it just bare faced belligerent spite?

Local Catholic churches still have good records going back to early 1800's. Our local one does anyway. A lot available on-line now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Parish records are still being transcribed online all the time. Work being done mostly voluntarily, fair play to the people who have the skills and patience to do it.

Geohive is a great website for looking up old maps and comparing them. It's possible to look up the two original ordinance survey maps and compare them. One was done before the famine, the other done after. It's shocking the amount of houses gone from the map post famine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Lovely bunch of lads.
    Great story:rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement

Great story about how you stuck it to the man.:D

Lucky for you that your grandfather and Grand uncles are not still alive , they would have taken you out the back and given you a beating with the shovels from Buford T. Justice V's jackanory.

There were all manner of church of Ireland records lost stretching back 800 and earlier years(the coi inherited them from the changeover). All sent there for safekeeping. I often wonder was it purposely done for a greenwashing job in the new free state? And not in the environmental sense!
    Or was it just bare faced belligerent spite?

You will get that firing artillery at a building full of explosives and paper. I think the free staters didn't care about the national records once they destroyed those inside. They needed to putdown the rebellion quickly and didnt care about the consequences.

Ya, I saw that programme. I never knew that census from 1821, 1831, 1841 & 1851 were all destroyed in the Four Courts fire. Huge loss.

They are now trying to rebuild the archive digitally from a multitude of sources. Its a great project and is turning up some amazing records.

https://www.nationalarchives.ie/our-archives/collaborative-projects/beyond-2022-irelands-virtual-record-treasury/

It blew up just as the anti treaty boys were surrendering? But yes careless all round.

It sure was. According to wiki.

Tim Healy, a government supporter, later alleged that the explosion was the result of land mines laid before the surrender, which exploded after the surrender.[18] However, a study of the battle concluded that the explosion was caused by fires ignited by the shelling of the Four Courts, which eventually reached two truck loads of gelignite in the munitions factory. A towering mushroom cloud rose 200 feet over the Four Courts.[17] Calton Younger (1968) identified 3 explosions; ".. two beneath the Records Office at about 2.15 [pm] and another at the back of the building at about 5 o'clock.."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

endainoz wrote: »
    I'd say the greens are more or less guaranteed to be in government Dan, whoever they go with. Your climate action 'nonsense' policies are coming whether you like it or not.

Really, and I thought the carbon taxes were paying already came out of thin air, thanks for the heads up.

There’s no doubt the old ira weren’t always honourable but jackanory these stories are not. Where do you suppose the individuals involved in the terrorism of the management of the the Quinn group learned their methodology?

Who are the people you are talking about that were involved in the Quinn group actions?

As I’m sure you know there’s no convictions yet? Your point being?
    My point is I dont know who was involved but you think that you know the background of those involved despite there being no convictions.

Given the geography and the horrific methodology my opinion would concur with the media’s analogy.
    And I also believe Bufords “jackanory”.

Making a judgement like that purely on geographical location is not that reliable, the two brothers that have been named in the papers as being involved are from Dublin as are many of their supposed gang. There are some interesting jackanories on the web saying they are MI5 assets gone rogue.
    But like your belief its purely speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

We have had one election in 2020 it's inconcluvsive a surge to SF failed council candidates get near double quota's ?
    How do ? as happened in some constituencies unknown candidates top the poll.
    It certainly looks to me that we are going to have another election shortly...………...and I would doubt that we will be surprised a second time

Advertisement