Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to have a housemate/tenant removed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I did in my previous post tell the OP that they should advise the man to engage with the mental health services and to seek alternative accommodation, if necessary by contacting emergency accomodation support services. And that is as a good will gesture. They are not obliged to do so at all.

At the end of the day, these people have their own lives and responsibilities to get on with. They are not his minder.

He doesn't have to move out or listen to their advice. As you said they aren't his minders and they also can't tell him to move out or what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That is true, he is not obliged to leave. That is why it is up to the other housemates to do their damn best at persuading him to agree to vacate.

If they are genuiniely fear for their safety, then they could go down the route of safety/barring/protection order. Barring order would require him to leave the house and he would face very stiff penalties for breaching that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If he has lost his job, then likely his Visa is no longer valid.

Contact garda-immigration.

(The suggestion to contact his family, while sweet, is pointless: they cannot do anything, and are likely relieved that he's not living in their house any more.)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don't know why a quick chat to the landlord if you all get along and are good tenants couldn't solve this.

"Yeah. Sorry housemate. We're all moving out, so none of us live here any more. G'luck". Once he's all packed up and gone, everybody bar one move back in the following day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

endacl wrote: »
    Don't know why a quick chat to the landlord if you all get along and are good tenants couldn't solve this.

"Yeah. Sorry housemate. We're all moving out, so none of us live here any more. G'luck". Once he's all packed up and gone, everybody bar one move back in the following day.

If only things were that simple. This guy has just lost his job so will not leave the house unless physically forced out or by the courts.

This person well knows it could be a year or more before he is forced to leave and will then just go back to India.

My best bet OP is to contact the Landlord, explain the situation and he will need to get legal advice on what is the best way of getting him out of there and what make financial sense for him.

Keep a weapon in your room and lock it at night.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    So a ?mentally? ill man is left homeless? When a few phone calls could ensure he has some support.

Simple humanity.
    They don't feel safe living with him and no longer wish to share a living space with him. Simple humanity? Perhaps they should direct him to a cottage on an offshore island, and see how your 'simple humanity' fares out. A phone call could indeed ensure he has some support. PM the OP your number there.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Graces7 wrote: »
    So a ?mentally? ill man is left homeless? When a few phone calls could ensure he has some support.

Simple humanity.

Honestly, the last thing we would want is for anyone to be homeless, particularly a person who is suffering with their mental health.

That is why we would rather he have fair warning to move out, i.e. the standard 4 weeks to give him time to find alternative accommodation. Our accommodation is not obscenely expensive but if you are not in full-time employment, you would not be able to afford it, therefore, he may inevitably have to move along to somewhere cheaper.

If only things were that simple. This guy has just lost his job so will not leave the house unless physically forced out or by the courts.

This person well knows it could be a year or more before he is forced to leave and will then just go back to India.

My best bet OP is to contact the Landlord, explain the situation and he will need to get legal advice on what is the best way of getting him out of there and what make financial sense for him.

Keep a weapon in your room and lock it at night.

Yeah this is what we are going to do as a collective. We're all also going to request keys from the landlord to lock our bedroom doors.

Unfortunately, some of his friends here appear to enable the behaviour rather than address it.

Which would be an illegal eviction leaving the landlord liable. The tenant laws are quite clear. This is not the landlords responsibility.

I had a similar case with tenants complaining about another tenant. Sought legal advice and the advice was clear that you can't do anything without a lot of evidence. Evidence other than he said he said.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Which would be an illegal eviction leaving the landlord liable. The tenant laws are quite clear. This is not the landlords responsibility.

I had a similar case with tenants complaining about another tenant. Sought legal advice and the advice was clear that you can't do anything without a lot of evidence. Evidence other than he said he said.

It does seem like we will reach a dead-end in any event.

Therefore, I have started to look at other properties in the area to move. Unfortunate, I know, but the only viable option that won't implicate the landlord or jeopardise the safety of myself and this particular housemate.

• Advertisement

As someone said previous, a trump card here might be that him losing his job could be after invalidating his visa. I would say investigate this option and if it works, get on to Garda immigration and your local garda station and hopefully he they might be able to extricate him from the residence and deport him back to india and let the authorities there deal with him and his illness.

I'll also second the advice that contacting his family is a waste of time. Firstly, they are in india - how are you going the find out who/where they are and contact them? Secondly, what do you expect them to do from 10,000 km away? A said, they are probably happy enough that he is away in Ireland and not causing the drama and hassle in their own homes.

Call gardai, express your fears for your safety. Push for deportation or a barring order.

As someone said previous, a trump card here might be that him losing his job could be after invalidating his visa. I would say investigate this option and if it works, get on to Garda immigration and your local garda station and hopefully he they might be able to extricate him from the residence and deport him back to india and let the authorities there deal with him and his illness.

I'll also second the advice that contacting his family is a waste of time. Firstly, they are in india - how are you going the find out who/where they are and contact them? Secondly, what do you expect them to do from 10,000 km away? A said, they are probably happy enough that he is away in Ireland and not causing the drama and hassle in their own homes.

Call gardai, express your fears for your safety. Push for deportation or a barring order.

Is family may very well come over and take him home or convince him to come home.

The Gardai will not really listen to you as it is one person view over another. All hearsay.

Maybe. But they might just as well want to ignore it on the basis of out of sight out of mind, or they may not have the ability or means to come and take him away.

Well if his visa is no longer valid, the Garda Immigration Bureau will be VERY interested in listening.

You could take a synergistic approach and use a combination of all three methods mentioned in here to convince him that leaving is the more attractive option rather than staying.

Notify the garda immigration bureau that he may have an expired visa and that ye are in fear of him.

Then after a house meeting, explain to him that his behaviour has ye all gravely concerned and that ye now request him to vacate voluntarily within a week and find somewhere else and direct him to mental health support services.

Then next day brief the landlord on the whole situation and ask that he contact the fella and say that he is satisfied that the current arrangement is not working and that he is requesting him to vacate voluntarily for the good and peace of all concerned, a full reimbursment of the deposit, and again, recommend that he engage with mental health support services.

(note, that there is no eviction here - merely a requesting and strong persuasion to convince him to agree to leave voluntarily)

Then the next day again, tell him that you have heard that the Garda Immigration Bureau are aware that his visa is expired and that they are potentially liable to roll up at any time to question him on his visa and work arrangements.

It would be a very stubborn and individual who would dig-in and stay in a house when faced with that level of unwantedness. For him, just leaving might be a more attractive option than trying to fend off the persuation of the housemates. the landlord and the now omnipresent threat of that Garda Immigration Bureau officers could knock on the door at any hour of the day or night.

The suggestion of making a mentally ill person to be paranoid really has to be one of the most horrible things I have ever heard.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The suggestion of making a mentally ill person to be paranoid really has to be one of the most horrible things I have ever heard.

It’s not paranoia if they are actually talking about him and do want him gone.

It’s not paranoia if they are actually talking about him and do want him gone.

You are suggestion making him believe immigration could arrive at any time to take him away. To do that to a person in a fragile state is disgusting.
    Would you put a bottle of alcohol in a recovering alcoholics bedroom too??

It is also totally unrealistic and people do have time to get other employment in their Visa.

Look, the other housemates are not this fellas minder or his mammy and daddy.
    They want him gone. And for good reason.
    He is an adult and what he does after leaving the property is his own business, not theirs.

Look, the other housemates are not this fellas minder or his mammy and daddy.
    They want him gone. And for good reason.
    He is an adult and what he does after leaving the property is his own business, not theirs.

And the legally can't get him out so what are you saying they should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

OP, I don't mean to be harsh but it does seem an overreaction on your part tbh.

If you're going to share accommodation you're going to come across odd people all the time.

So far all he's done is call an ambulance and told lies as far as you've told us.

He may settle down, get another job and get help or he may move on or go home of his own accord.

I wouldn't try move in the current rental climate unless things get a lot worse.

You could be going from the frying pan into the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you tried bribery? Everyone who wants him gone tosses in €100 into the pot, and tell him that the pot is his when he moves out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

the_syco wrote: »
    Have you tried bribery? Everyone who wants him gone tosses in €100 into the pot, and tell him that the pot is his when he moves out.

You would want to be adding another 0 on that.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    OP, I don't mean to be harsh but it does seem an overreaction on your part tbh.

If you're going to share accommodation you're going to come across odd people all the time.

So far all he's done is call an ambulance and told lies as far as you've told us.

He may settle down, get another job and get help or he may move on or go home of his own accord.

I wouldn't try move in the current rental climate unless things get a lot worse.

You could be going from the frying pan into the fire.

While I understand what you are saying, I don't necessarily think it is fair for you to call in at an overreaction, I have not entertained the idea of getting the guards involved whatsoever, that to me would be an overreaction.

I have lived with dozens and dozens of different people all my life (I once shared a house with 23 people) so I have come across all types of odd, but due to my own personal experiences of family members demonstrating such behaviours in the lead up to quite catastrophic events (as I explained above), I suppose I am just slightly on edge when it comes to issues like this.

I have decided to grin and bear it for the next while and keep an eye out for any other unusual behaviours, that's all I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the landlord and his roommate are your best bets -roommate complains to landlird about fears for his own personal safety & raises issues you mentioned .You all corroborate& ask for himto be removed.

Trump card can be his job - the terms under which he got the house have changed ( he’s not employed) and you dont want him hanging around all day using up lx/gas/broadband and running up communal bills.

there are plenty of short term host family options he can move onto for a few weeks while he sorts himself out & his work visa/situation.

if he is that unhappy and unwell here he might be as well to go home.

As the landlord is possibly unaware of all this the first thing to do is approach them & put it clearly - you are living in fear of thus man who is becoming more emotionally unstable and volatile and they need to do something about it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

dobby896 wrote: »
    While I understand what you are saying, I don't necessarily think it is fair for you to call in at an overreaction, I have not entertained the idea of getting the guards involved whatsoever, that to me would be an overreaction.

I have lived with dozens and dozens of different people all my life (I once shared a house with 23 people) so I have come across all types of odd, but due to my own personal experiences of family members demonstrating such behaviours in the lead up to quite catastrophic events (as I explained above), I suppose I am just slightly on edge when it comes to issues like this.

I have decided to grin and bear it for the next while and keep an eye out for any other unusual behaviours, that's all I can do.

Yeah, fair enough. As I said I'm not trying to be harsh but the reality out there at the moment, especially if you're in Dublin is that things could get worse if you move.

I understand being on edge around that behaviour, drunk people freak me out for the same reason so I get it but if you're in a position where you have to share a house you do have to hope for the best sometimes.

Hopefully he will sort himself out or move on. If he's lost his job and stops paying his share of the rent the LL might get rid of him anyway hopefully.

Advertisement