Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Voting Sinn Fein - Should I?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Shinnerbot with standard issue shimmer response: the issues I posted about are far from a different time. That’s like saying I’ll give ff a vote cause when they made a mess of things it was a different time. Read my post before writing such a ridiculous reply

yes joe. its a shinnerbot I am. you though joe swanson - you are a cartoon character in Family Guy so I just cant take you seriously.

Though you are basically saying 'don't vote for these sinn fein candidates because 20/30/40 etc years ago this thing happened and those people you are voting for bear no relation to the time or indeed the people of those20/30/40 etc years ago'.

Way to go Joe. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Idbatterim, I agree with you on 99% of threads I see you comment on.

However, I have to say I'm strongly considering voting SF for the first time ever this time.

FG played a blinder with Brexit and the negotiations, but I still think they have lost touch. Eoin O'Broin called for a rent freeze which would benefit me, but it got poo-pooed by ffg. Nothing else in the land is inflating by 4% yearly, so why is rent allowed increase by that much year on year?

Past Taoisigh have been doctors and school teachers, not like any were economics experts or anything.

I don't know, but maybe, i think I'd give SF a go. FG brought us out of recession, but I like many people don't really feel it.

I'm undecided.

glad to hear it ;) the thing is, they way they went on about brexit, you'd swear it was ireland about to leave the eu :rolleyes: I think that even if FG and FF retain power, they need to be rattled to the bloody core this election, to get them to change things! You wont change their learned behaviour the easy way, i.e. making a balls of things for decades and them being able to get away with it!

I want change in this country, I couldnt care less who bloody delivers it. But FFG have been in power for so long at this stage, two booms and when I see these incapable liars, talking at me through the tv, I honestly feel I am being taken the piss out of. Fool me once... But fool us how many times?

Now you will get many saying stick with FG etc, I can see some merit in it!!! HOWEVER! are these people paying two thousand a month for a one bed apartment in dublin? you see, its easy to say "dont rock the boat" when you picked up property for nothing, inherited it, maybe got a boom time mortgage that you would not get now if on same income etc, many havent paid their mortgages in years and are still in their property. Of course some worked bloody hard and paid a lot for it. They throw out luxury housing in dundrum, for a pittance to social tenants and the icing on the cake? its a rip off deal for the taxpayer! They sold off property for a pittance during the recession, you didnt need to be mystic meg to figure out they should have held onto the dublin based stuff , in fact, selling it off was the height of idiocy! but their mates cant make unbelievable bread, if the taxpayer holds onto it!

When you back people into a corner and put them in **** positions, dont be surprised when they get desperate and do what many are now doing, questioning the insanity of it all. This country is fine for many, the "dont rock the boat" crowd, they'd be singing a different tune if they were on the other side of the fence, and often its only luck or timing that divides the groups.

This property "get rich quick scheme" they can all FCUK off and make money on something that doesnt involve being able to extort people on a most basic human need!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭con747

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland. I doubt I will be voting for anyone other than Sinn Féin.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

anewme wrote: »
    This is from their website NOW ..today

Introduce a third rate of income tax on individual earnings over €100,000

So someones telling porkies or they are moving goalposts....again

In 2016 they wanted to abolish USC for those earning under 70k.

40k widening band in 4 years? That's some inflation.

Sorry but this is simply not true, and a sad attempt at trying to rewrite history.

SF, were the party telling FG that the state couldn't afford to cut USC in 2016.

Retaining USC ‘right thing to do’ says Sinn Fein

Sinn Féin finance spokesman Pearse Doherty has conceded his party’s policy on the USC is not a vote-getter but insisted retaining the tax is the right thing to do.

Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fáil have made winding down the USC a central plank of their manifestos ahead of the general election on Friday.

“It may not get you as many votes as abolishing the USC, the type of reckless policies the others are promising, it may not be as headline grabbing, but it is the right thing to do,” Mr Doherty said.

If people want to vote for the shinners then so be it . I shall be deeply saddened if the current polls are right. I honestly thought the people in this country had more integrity and conscience than to vote for these lowlifes . We shall see

What a tragedy, that others might not follow your glib assessment. Such is democracy, you'll have to come to terms with it somehow.

• Advertisement

the absolute hypocrisy! decades of vote buying and lying to the electorate from FFG to keep power at all costs! and they critique everything sf says and does? I dont even care if SF are embellishing a bit! Sure dont you just say whatever you need to say, to get into power as your man from Labour said?

If prudence is economic collapse, two hundred billion euro plus debt, a ridiculously narrow tax base, the worlds most expensive hospital, a white elephant rural broadband scheme. throw whatever else you want onto the list. and I should be worried about SF? when they would have to go in a COALITION (compromise, as we all are sick of hearing at this stage) and the EU have to approve our budgets?

FFG say it could be worse? meh, Ill take the chance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

SF have promised to lower the pension age back to 65(lets forget they raised it in NI for a second )

They are also scrapping the USC charge for earnings under 30k

They are building thousands of houses

Increasing childcare subsidies

Thats to name a few

Can someone tell me where they are getting the extra few billion from?

Magic money I guess. Please god save us from Sinn Féin being in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

People can say what they like about " the shinners " . But one thing for sure , you won't see / hear them suggesting a commemoration for the Black and Fcuking Tans !! Lol !!

Also , if people have such a problem with voting for so called " shinner scum " , what does it say about the other mainstream political parties , that people would have to resort to vote for such ??????

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    People can say what they like about " the shinners " . But one thing for sure , you won't see / hear them suggesting a commemoration for the Black and Fcuking Tans !! Lol !!

Also , if people have such a problem with voting for so called " shinner scum " , what does it say about the other mainstream political parties , that people would have to resort to vote for such ??????

I have said this often before. What the hell does it make the soldiers of failure, if SF are getting a huge surge?!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    glad to hear it ;) the thing is, they way they went on about brexit, you'd swear it was ireland about to leave the eu :rolleyes: I think that even if FG and FF retain power, they need to be rattled to the bloody core this election, to get them to change things! You wont change their learned behaviour the easy way, i.e. making a balls of things for decades and them being able to get away with it!

I want change in this country, I couldnt care less who bloody delivers it. But FFG have been in power for so long at this stage, two booms and when I see these incapable liars, talking at me through the tv, I honestly feel I am being taken the piss out of. Fool me once... But fool us how many times?

Now you will get many saying stick with FG etc, I can see some merit in it!!! HOWEVER! are these people paying two thousand a month for a one bed apartment in dublin? you see, its easy to say "dont rock the boat" when you picked up property for nothing, inherited it, maybe got a boom time mortgage that you would not get now if on same income etc, many havent paid their mortgages in years and are still in their property. Of course some worked bloody hard and paid a lot for it. They throw out luxury housing in dundrum, for a pittance to social tenants and the icing on the cake? its a rip off deal for the taxpayer! They sold off property for a pittance during the recession, you didnt need to be mystic meg to figure out they should have held onto the dublin based stuff , in fact, selling it off was the height of idiocy! but their mates cant make unbelievable bread, if the taxpayer holds onto it!

When you back people into a corner and put them in **** positions, dont be surprised when they get desperate and do what many are now doing, questioning the insanity of it all. This country is fine for many, the "dont rock the boat" crowd, they'd be singing a different tune if they were on the other side of the fence, and often its only luck or timing that divides the groups.

This property "get rich quick scheme" they can all FCUK off and make money on something that doesnt involve being able to extort people on a most basic human need!

Seriously, do you have a newsletter? Because I'd toss my telly out the window now and happily pay 170 a year for that over RTE.

My rent is going up by 4% next month. Sure, its only 4% but since the rent cap came in my rent has gone up, legally, by 17%.

The only party promising a freeze is SF.

We all know, all the parties are lying with their promises. Its no longer a case of who is lying least, or who will deliver least.

Its who we trust to help us the most.

Who do we trust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love how people say they are going to vote for SF because they are promising this or that.

Do you know what happens most 'promises' on most manifesto's?

And yet you think SF will be different and do everything they promise?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I love how people say they are going to vote for SF because they are promising this or that.

no niman, thats exactly it though! there isnt much to worry about , no party can deliver their manifesto fully as they will be in coalition, europe vet out budgets also! Also its not like we have no national debt, borrowing isnt really an option...

All I know is this, if all those pigs at the trough care about is power , the fear or reality of losing it, may change their behaviour!

there are several people now I know in the last few days, toying with idea of FG one final time, going to SF. They just, like myself, cannot stand by and do nothing. FFG need a serious wake up call and reality check!

If SF win a lot of seats and / or dislodge FFG. It honest to got, could be the kick up the hole that this country needs and nobody come have seen this coming a few weeks ago. Ill say it again, I cant stand the same faces of failure, just spouting out the same ****. Its insulting at this stage...

no niman, thats exactly it though! there isnt much to worry about , no party can deliver their manifesto fully as they will be in coalition, europe vet out budgets also! Also its not like we have no national debt, borrowing isnt really an option...

All I know is this, if all those pigs at the trough care about is power , the fear or reality of losing it, may change their behaviour!

there are several people now I know in the last few days, toying with idea of FG one final time, going to SF. They just, like myself, cannot stand by and do nothing. FFG need a serious wake up call and reality check!

If SF win a lot of seats and / or dislodge FFG. It honest to got, could be the kick up the hole that this country needs and nobody come have seen this coming a few weeks ago. Ill say it again, I cant stand the same faces of failure, just spouting out the same ****. Its insulting at this stage...

... and it may come to pass. Interesting times ahead.

Leo and Micheál will go down in history if they are in charge of FG/FF at a time when SF become the biggest party in the country.

Obviously Ireland doesn't have the physical or financial resources of China, but China built a new hospital in 9 days.

They didn't spend 9 months waiting for consultants reports and another 6 months for the Architects design.

The entire nation is waiting for someone to step up and f#£king accomplish something.

... and it may come to pass. Interesting times ahead.

Leo and Micheál will go down in history if they are in charge of FG/FF at a time when SF become the biggest party in the country.

I’ll tell you what’s the mind blowing bit is. It’s not like economically ffg have sank the place again, the economy is booming. They have sank it socially ! Truly unbelievable!

You could give the axis of failure all of king midas silver and they wouldn’t solve the issues here ! You could give them another hundred years on top of riches and it still wouldn’t make a difference! I’ll tell you what , this fg seat loss will stop several fg td’s, thieving a living !

Obviously Ireland doesn't have the physical or financial resources of China, but China built a new hospital in 9 days.

They didn't spend 9 months waiting for consultants reports and another 6 months for the Architects design.

The entire nation is waiting for someone to step up and f#£king accomplish something.

So lets get this straight, you think we should be more like China?

And you do know that plenty of other western countries wait on consultants reports and designs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I’ll tell you what’s the mind blowing bit is. It’s not like economically ffg have sank the place again, the economy is booming. They have sank it socially ! Truly unbelievable!

You could give the axis of failure all of king midas silver and they wouldn’t solve the issues here ! You could give them another hundred years on top of riches and it still wouldn’t make a difference! I’ll tell you what , this fg seat loss will stop several fg td’s, thieving a living !

You'll do you're best to make sure FG dont loose seats. Drop the act ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

That just reminds me of that famous Gilmore speech in 2011 maybe Mary Lou will give us more of this comedy show tonight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I wouldn't get too excited. They're prefabs..Personally I'd rather something more solid for my sick children..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,353 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And if they did the country will be on its knees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Why aren't more people voting for Social Democrats? I've only briefly looked at manifestos and I think theirs strikes a nice balance between progressive and achievable - in that I like what they are committing to, and it doesn't seem like it would cripple the country financially.

Is it just the lack of confidence in their leadership? I haven't been at all impressed with Shortall or Murphy from what I've seen of them. I'm not a fan of Stephen Donnelly but at least he spoke well (some would argue you'd have to ignore what he's saying though! :) )

What's the consensus on them as an alternative? Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

Sinn Fein's policies make Jeremy Corbyn's old policies look like sound economic sense. A cult like obsession with the super rich who they are going to follow around the globe, corner them, and make them pay more tax, really? The tax will come from the squeezed middle like me. The demographic that holds down a job and has to pay a mortgage. I already pay tax, over 50% which is more than enough. Sinn Fein is pandering to the unrealistic, one for everyone in the audience approach as are all political parties. The only difference is that my family would pay significantly more tax, and the individuals that have an expectation to get a subsidised house in the capital city will also be disappointed in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

People shouldn't be getting so upset. It's not that S.F. are going to win 80 seats. There are several constituencies where they are running candidates
    who just are up against three or four strong T.Ds.
    We are heading for a minority government or else Confidence and Supply and then three more weeks of this ****e next year once the U.K. E.U. trade deal is sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Do they not want to increase CAT?.

This tax will not impact people's homes that they paid for out of their own After Tax Income.

Anyone know what their intentions are with the current thresholds?

This tax will not impact people's homes that they paid for out of their own After Tax Income.

Hello.

I think you may have missed this post.n

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112438881&postcount=335

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

List of proposed tax cuts in SF manifesto:

https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2020/SF_GE2020_Manifesto.pdf

GIVING WORKERS AND FAMILIES A BREAK – Tax Spend €2.4 BILLION
    - Abolish USC on the first €30,000 earned €1,219 million
    - Abolish Local Property Tax €485 million
    - Increase Earned Income Credit to €1,650 €35 million
    - 1 month rent relief €301 million
    - Retain Mortgage interest relief €35 million
    - Restore tax credit for trade union membership €40 million
    - End Motor tax surcharge for quarterly and 6-month payments €43 million
    - Abolish 3% stamp duty on non-life insurance policies €160 million
    - Abolish 2% levy on non-life insurance policies €69 million

List of tax increases:

FUNDING REAL CHANGE AND A BETTER FUTURE – Tax Revenue €3.8 BILLION
    - End the corporation tax break for the banks €175 million
    - Increase income from the annual bank levy €50 million
    - Tax intangible assets onshored by multinationals €722 million
    - Introduce a 5% high income levy on individual incomes above €140,000 €452 million
    - Taper out tax credits on individual incomes over €100,000 to €140,000 €260 million
    - Introduce a wealth tax for the wealthiest 1% in the State at a rate of 1% on the
    portion of net wealth held over €1 million with a number of exemptions including farms €89 million
    Abolish the Special Assignee Relief Programme €23 million
    - Increase Capital Acquisition Tax by 3% to rate of 36% €45 million
    - Reduce subsidies to gold-plated pensions by reducing the earnings
    limit and reducing the Standard Fund Threshold to €1.2 million €494 million
    - Introduce a 15.75% rate of employer’s PRSI on portion of salaries
    over €100,000 €532 million
    - Increase excise duty on a packet of cigarettes over 5 years €175 million
    - Increase Stamp Duty on commercial property to 12.5% €440 million
    - Increase the Dividend Withholding Tax on REITs and IREFs to 33% €20 million
    - Increase the Vacant Site Levy to 15% to prevent land hoarding €107 million
    - Introduce a 2nd home charge at a rate of €400 €104 million
    - Replace Help-to-Buy scheme with pubic and affordable homes €102 million

Note that the increase in CT is not actually an increase - it is a timing change, CT will be paid earlier, and less CT paid in the future.

SF are describing this as a tax increase.

Also note the 12.5% stamp duty on comm property sales - this is a very high rate.

These two tax changes raise over 1bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, propose to increase the rate from 33% to 36%, and raise 45m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, propose to increase the rate from 33% to 36%, and raise 45m.

That's not a tax on the wealthy, that's a tax on workers owning their own home that they paid for out of their after tax income and might want to pass on.

I'd be more interested in what their proposed thresholds are though. That might address the balance.

That's not a tax on the wealthy, that's a tax on workers owning their own home that they paid for out of their after tax income and might want to pass on.

I'd be more interested in what their proposed thresholds are though. That might address the balance.

You're not going to go back and correct your error about USC in 2016?

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I hadn't seen the stamp duty increase from SF. Holy ****, everyone will have to jump on the housing list.
    My mortgage from the bank wouldn't allow me borrow for stamp duty. If we can't get deposits of 10% together how the **** do we get a stamp duty of 12.5% together?

A 300K house may seem affordable but addiing on the - 37.5k needed for stamp duty that's needed upfront certainly makes it difficult!

Advertisement