Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Voting Sinn Fein - Should I?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

jimgoose wrote: »
    Let's see the condition of ye after twelve months of Snowball and her Equal Pigs' governance, if she gets in. To Hell with ye! :pac:
    I was thinking that today. Just another set of pigs in the Animal Farm of Irish politics. But if my nephew gets a bedroom in a council house I don't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

And reinforced FF's "pale, male & stale" image among that crowd. You could just hear them whooping "You go girl" when she dropped that in...

They're really not helping themselves with the male top heavy senior figures in both parties.
    When McGuiness and Adams stepped down either side of the border, female leaders took over and this is unquestionably adding to SFs current popularity. I have no doubt it was a calculated move by them.

FFs policy of wheeling out Lisa Chambers as their resident lovely girl from the west for political programmes on RTE isn't really cutting it. Her ability to push voting buttons by proxy has tarnished her holier than though act.

FG haven't even thought that far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

i hear mary lou dropped a "mansplain" in a serious political debate

that should see them drop to 0%, the cringe

And the ironic part of the quip was that she's a dab-hand at condescension and the patronising attitude herself.
    In fact I think she relishes that style of debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

I'm seeing all over my fb people saying they're voting SF as they're sick of the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Why is the whole IRA connection being swept under the carpet. Im not even talking about the cruel way Paul Quinn was murdered, which pales in comparison to what the military wing of this SF in capable of.

Strapping bombs to men and telling them to drive into army check points while threatening to shoot his family if he did not. That one stood out to me anyway.

SF position was that civilian deaths were regrettable but justified..

Im guessing there are groups of voters here that are too young to know how much butchery went on, and the other older folk are far removed about how bad it was in the north because they live a 100 miles down the road.

I lived in one of those towns, and seen first hand what the "oh so compassionate" Mary Lous party is really about.
    I have no doubt , and neither should you, that she reports and answers to a senior IRA council .

And its like voting the Kinahan gang into government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The fear of SF is actually enjoyable to watch on here. The FFG supporters really are scared. Gas.

I'm not even a SF supporter but watching FFG get triggered because another party is muscling in on their territory is fun to watch for sure.

They're afraid their meal ticket is going to get taken from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

scrumqueen wrote: »
    It has been costed by the Dept. of Finance and the DOF don't offer up opinions of which manifesto is good or bad.

This thing about costing is rubbish. If a tax brings in x and you will double it, Finance will say you will now get 2x. However they will offer no view on the consequences of doubling the tax such as, for example, business closing or employers cutting back on numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'm not even a SF supporter but watching FFG get triggered because another party is muscling in on their territory is fun to watch for sure.

Ah, they were obviously Triggered into Mansplaining, much to the disapproval of the beardy gin crowd. :pac:

There's a few in SF that'd do some "triggering" alright, if they thought they'd get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm seeing all over my fb people saying they're voting SF as they're sick of the other two.

That's happening but its a very poor reflection on the maturity of voters. We have problems but by and large this country is doing well. Employment is higher than ever and that is bringing problems. Would people prefer massive borrowing to fund SF spending plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

rob316 wrote: »
    Our income tax rate combined with USC is already high I'm not in favour of raising it regardless of earnings. There is plenty of other things to tax than targeting already scarce well qualified professionals.

Taxing income at a marginal rate of fifty percent is idiocy. In my place of work , people turn down extra hours if they are at the marginal rate. Who wins in that scenario. Fcuking idiocy. There obviously needs to be a site value tax, but the other main tax I would introduce and get those contributing nothing into the system , to start doing so and relieving burden on upper and middle earners , would be a council tax like in uk , charged to all adults ! No bloody exceptions etc. there is a few billion there!

Finish off diesel soon too , all new petrol and diesel sales , new motor tax rate of minimum e400 petrol and e600 diesel , absolute minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Why is the whole IRA connection being swept under the carpet. Im not even talking about the cruel way Paul Quinn was murdered, which pales in comparison to what the military wing of this SF in capable of.

Strapping bombs to men and telling them to drive into army check points while threatening to shoot his family if he did not. That one stood out to me anyway.

SF position was that civilian deaths were regrettable but justified..

Im guessing there are groups of voters here that are too young to know how much butchery went on, and the other older folk are far removed about how bad it was in the north because they live a 100 miles down the road.

I lived in one of those towns, and seen first hand what the "oh so compassionate" Mary Lous party is really about.
    I have no doubt , and neither should you, that she reports and answers to a senior IRA council .

And its like voting the Kinahan gang into government.

waffle - absolute waffle. The PIRA are long gone and the SF of the 80s and 90s in the north are very different to the SF of today in the south. Catch a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Yurt! wrote: »

its quite hilarious

People talk about sf and their past , as is the case with trump etc. when he establishment don’t listen to a size able amount of the population and that side start getting exasperated, what the hell do they expect. It’s actually the establishment driving the change!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

crossman47 wrote: »
    That's happening but its a very poor reflection on the maturity of voters. We have problems but by and large this country is doing well. Employment is higher than ever and that is bringing problems. Would people prefer massive borrowing to fund SF spending plans?

Yeah but life is not so good for anyone who is stuck renting. Ireland does not have the systems in place to make renting a viable, attractive alternative to home ownership. And what is so frustrating is that it wouldn't take much effort to do so. But it appears that FF and FG are more interested in keeping big business happy while at the same time syphoning off a stream to the social welfare brigade.
    The rising SF vote is a protest vote by the squeezed middle and an aspirational vote by those 'scraping to make ends meet (excuse me while I book my third foreign holiday to Torremolinos)"

I am included in that employment figure. I have a good job and where am I? Paying crazy rents in mouldy accomodation unable to get a mortgage, having to share and i'm nearly 30.

Rural Ireland is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Why is the whole IRA connection being swept under the carpet.
    It's in the Irish Independent 40 times a day and it was a focus on RTE last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I thought Sinn Fein turning up last minute at the psni recruitment event yesterday was sly.
    They had not responded to invites and never attend such events.
    Michelle O Neill turns up without notice - surely all part of painting the picture of the new caring sharing Sinn Fein. All bullcrap.

I am included in that employment figure. I have a good job and where am I? Paying crazy rents in mouldy accomodation unable to get a mortgage, having to share and i'm nearly 30.

Rural Ireland is dead.

My good man, if you think Snowball and Her Equal Pigs give a wet, scuttery fuck about the emboldened you are labouring under an enormous misapprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

FF and FG should not be voted back in ever, they have done nothing but destroy the country to fill their own pockets

BUT and thats a big BUT, Sinn Fein have absolutely no chance in delivering on really anything they have promised, anyone with basic maths skills can see how far off the real figures Sinn Fein are, 100,0000 houses? How? Seriously How? We would bankrupt the entire country if that was a real obtainable figure

There is no real stand out choice, but I guess Sinn Fein have not had their chance yet so why not

mickdw wrote: »
    I thought Sinn Fein turning up last minute at the psni recruitment event yesterday was sly.
    They had not responded to invites and never attend such events.
    Michelle O Neill turns up without notice - surely all part of painting the picture of the new caring sharing Sinn Fein. All bullcrap.

The event was aimed at recruiting young people. The fact that SF were there was an important step in making the RUC an attractive proposition for a catholic. Whether it was sly move or not will, hopefully, be lost on the younger demographic. Integration is hugely important in NI for a peaceful future. Even Arlene Foster welcomed it.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah. It’s doing well for the wasters with free housing etc. doing well for those that own property, many that got it for a pittance etc. is it doing well for those with **** commutes, marginal tax rate of fifty percent , rip off child care , rip off insurance, and a big mortgage ? Is it doing well for those in Dublin renting , that if they wanted to live alone would pay e600 minimum for a one bed apartment that wasn’t a kip ?

gibgodsman wrote: »
    FF and FG should not be voted back in ever, they have done nothing but destroy the country to fill their own pockets

BUT and thats a big BUT, Sinn Fein have absolutely no chance in delivering on really anything they have promised, anyone with basic maths skills can see how far off the real figures Sinn Fein are, 100,0000 houses? How? Seriously How? We would bankrupt the entire country if that was a real obtainable figure

There is no real stand out choice, but I guess Sinn Fein have not had their chance yet so why not

Yesh im voting sf. As the the final kick up the hole warning shot to ffg to start getting things done ! One more election with a farce like this and sf running more candidates, I think many of those who wouldn’t dreamt of a sf vote before will change their tune

My good man, if you think Snowball and Her Equal Pigs give a wet, scuttery fuck about the emboldened you are labouring under an enormous misapprehension.

Does Leo Varadker? Honest question.

Does Leo Varadker? Honest question.

Not personally no, but politically he'll ruddy-well have to! FG are supposed to be the party of getting up off your arse and getting on in the world. :pac:

But SF would actively consider that poster to be doing just fine.

Not personally no, but politically he'll ruddy-well have to! FG are supposed to be the party of getting up off your arse and getting on in the world. :pac:

Supposed to be, yes. But they haven't delivered. And I give them every credit for improving things economically. But it is a very skewed economy. Hugely reliant on outside influences and leaving a broad section of low to middle income earners behind.

May I ask who you suggest we vote for?

She mightn't but I've seen actions from the Chuckle Brothers that proves they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Sinn Fein aren't to the Left, they're populist.

Populism is not just a right wing thing, it is whatever is "politics or parties popular with the masses sometimes with a nationalist slant" that then ties into politics, Canada has a left wing populist government IMO.

How can rte be I unbiased when that entire cesspit earning scandalous wages , thieving a living , would be hit with higher rates of income tax ?

Supposed to be, yes. But they haven't delivered. And I give them every credit for improving things economically. But it is a very skewed economy. Hugely reliant on outside influences and leaving a broad section of low to middle income earners behind.

May I ask who you suggest we vote for?

I can't suggest anything, except tell you that I personally will probably be voting for a mix of FG, FF, Labour and maybe a Greenie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

maccored wrote: »
    waffle - absolute waffle. The PIRA are long gone and the SF of the 80s and 90s in the north are very different to the SF of today in the south. Catch a grip.

If you believe the provos are not part of the SF behind the curtain, you are very naive..
    If you followed this party's progressions through the years and followed the many interviews and books about Gerry and Martin, it would be blatantly obvious that there are still very shady characters pulling the strings in the back ground..

You do realize that senior members of SF like Mary Lou answer to the Coiste Seasta . A none elected committee.

You need to read up on who you intend to vote for . Open eyes.

Advertisement