Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Voting Sinn Fein - Should I?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If the leases have been taken out already, then they have to be paid. If you stop taking them out, and you have nowhere to put people, then those people will have to live sleeping out on the streets. I didn't realise this was SF policy until you pointed it out.

these morons have signed off on outrageously expensive way on housing people and when I emailed my local councillor. "oh we have to house people" these useless b**stards have land in their area and its been sitting idle for years! So your solution is dont develop your own housing, sort it at insane rip off rates and reduce whats available on the private market?

provide housing at extortionate rates and thus reduce the amount of social and affordable housing they can provide!!!!

This country, is totally incapable of running itself. If they **** hits the fan here again, I hope we can pass a referendum, to keep the IMF installed permanently! give them the keys to the department of finance, the rest of the morons can debate over which colour to paint our street furniture etc, thats about their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

christy c wrote: »
    This nonsense still being thrown around. For this to be true, Ireland would have to be the worst off nation on earth, or at least the worst off developed nation. I doubt even idiots like Pearse Doherty believe that.

So pearse Doherty is an idiot. Unbelievable, great input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

scrumqueen wrote: »
    What do you mean here?

[/LIST]

I'm pretty certain that Varadkars 'welfare cheats' initiative didn't bring in the massive returns hoped for.

What I mean by that is, from having listened to LV over the years, he struck me as essentially a libertarian type. I think the 'welfare cheats' thing you mention backs that. He was usually cast as a straight-talker.
    What we seem to have got when he assumed the role of leader of FG was a watered down, Trudeau-wannabe who was more concerned with image and spin than substantive government / welfare (etc) reform.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Some of the tax stuff (deals for the MNC, fighting the Apple 13bn) I can understand on a pragmatic level. What gets me about the FG strategy - as it appears to my layman eyes - is that they don't seem to be able to shore up, or create a positive environment for domestic start-ups (in and out of tech).
    We're left with a situation where the local coffee shop pays their share in tax, rates etc but Starbucks pays a pitttence. That just seems unjustifiable to me, even with their volume of employees here.
    yeah true and what do you think about FFG having a situation where even the working poor are hit with a marginal rate of FIFTY percent of income?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can someone tell me where they are getting the extra few billion from?

They plan to raise 700m+ from a change in capital allowances allowed to be claimed by firms.

Now, this is a change in the timing of CT paid, not more CT.

By restricting how much capital allowance can be claimed each year, more CT is paid sooner, but less later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

I believe he is, or else a cynical populist based on the idiotic proposals he is endorsing such as lowering the pension age.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pearse Doherty is no idiot. But he isn't anything remotely like as clever as he thinks he is, which is probably even more dangerous than an actual idiot.

This nonsense still being thrown around. For this to be true, Ireland would have to be the worst off nation on earth, or at least the worst off developed nation. I doubt even idiots like Pearse Doherty believe that.

thrid world transport system, boil notices, sewage flowing out into dublin bay. appalling environmental record. Sounds pretty backwards to me! but hey, tens of billions were thrown at welfare during the boom at full employment, as an example. What a great use of funds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Diceicle wrote: »
    What I mean by that is, from having listened to LV over the years, he struck me as essentially a libertarian type. I think the 'welfare cheats' thing you mention backs that. He was usually cast as a straight-talker.
    What we seem to have got when he assumed the role of leader of FG was a watered down, Trudeau-wannabe who was more concerned with image and spin than substantive government / welfare (etc) reform.
    That was just expensive PR to make the FG mouth breather membership tolerate the fact that he's a mixed race homosexual.
    The country blueshirts will tolerate a mixed race homosexual if they believe that he is making life harder for the poorest and most vulnerable people in the country. FG are motivated by spite.

(though they wouldn't call him a mixed race homosexual indeed they'd mind their 'Ps' and 'Qs' if you know what I mean)

• Advertisement

FUNDING REAL CHANGE AND A BETTER FUTURE – Tax Revenue €3.8 BILLION

- End the corporation tax break for the banks €175 million
    - Increase income from the annual bank levy €50 million
    - Tax intangible assets onshored by multinationals €722 million
    - Introduce a 5% high income levy on individual incomes above €140,000 €452 million
    - Taper out tax credits on individual incomes over €100,000 to €140,000 €260 million
    - Introduce a wealth tax for the wealthiest 1% in the State at a rate of 1% on the
    portion of net wealth held over €1 million with a number of exemptions including farms €89 million
    Abolish the Special Assignee Relief Programme €23 million
    - Increase Capital Acquisition Tax by 3% to rate of 36% €45 million
    - Reduce subsidies to gold-plated pensions by reducing the earnings
    limit and reducing the Standard Fund Threshold to €1.2 million €494 million
    - Introduce a 15.75% rate of employer’s PRSI on portion of salaries
    over €100,000 €532 million
    - Increase excise duty on a packet of cigarettes over 5 years €175 million
    - Increase Stamp Duty on commercial property to 12.5% €440 million
    - Increase the Dividend Withholding Tax on REITs and IREFs to 33% €20 million
    - Increase the Vacant Site Levy to 15% to prevent land hoarding €107 million
    - Introduce a 2nd home charge at a rate of €400 €104 million
    - Replace Help-to-Buy scheme with pubic and affordable homes €102 million

jimgoose wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is no idiot. But he isn't anything remotely like as clever as he thinks he is, which is probably even more dangerous than an actual idiot.

What a worthless post.

How is this any way verifiable?

A 12.5% SD on comm property - that is very high

I believe he is, or else a cynical populist based on the idiotic proposals he is endorsing such as lowering the pension age.

If Pearce is an idiot, good luck trying to find someone to vote for then.
    Pearce is far from an idiot, also alot of people who would not vote sf would be persuaded too by the work and input Pearce has.
    Might be the donegal part you don't like.

That was just expensive PR to make the FG mouth breather membership tolerate the fact that he's a mixed race homosexual.
    The country blueshirts will tolerate a mixed race homosexual if they believe that he is making life harder for the poorest and most vulnerable people in the country. FG are motivated by spite...

Yeeeeessss.... here's one of us using our Spite:

giphy.gif

:pac:

These 3.8 bn of extra taxes are used to finance 2.4 bn of tax cuts:

GIVING WORKERS AND FAMILIES A BREAK – Tax Spend €2.4 BILLION

- Abolish USC on the first €30,000 earned €1,219 million
    - Abolish Local Property Tax €485 million
    - Increase Earned Income Credit to €1,650 €35 million
    - 1 month rent relief €301 million
    - Retain Mortgage interest relief €35 million
    - Restore tax credit for trade union membership €40 million
    - End Motor tax surcharge for quarterly and 6-month payments €43 million
    - Abolish 3% stamp duty on non-life insurance policies €160 million
    - Abolish 2% levy on non-life insurance policies €69 million

That leaves 1.4 bn in extra taxes.

But their manifesto lists over 20bn in extra spending during 2021-2025.

Am I missing something?

jimgoose wrote: »

Only a couple of idiots I'm seeing here.

What a worthless post.

How is this any way verifiable?

If you want to shill SF that is your privilege, but do not insult my intelligence with second-year Debating Society bollocks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah true and what do you think about FFG having a situation where even the working poor are hit with a marginal rate of FIFTY percent of income?!

To be fair and objective with FG, I would and do support their goal of setting the higher rate of tax to €50k - far too low at the moment. What is it in the UK agin? £60k, i think?
    I think much of my ire comes from the high cost of everything here - from pints, to childcare to the mortgage rates we pay. Though admittedly, they have improved from where they were. However, I understand that in Germany, you can get a 25 year fixed mortgage @ ~2%. That's a different market so besides the point somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

If Pearce is an idiot, good luck trying to find someone to vote for then.
    Pearce is far from an idiot, also alot of people who would not vote sf would be persuaded too by the work and input Pearce has.
    Might be the donegal part you don't like.

If he's not an idiot why is he endorsing lowering the pension age when the demographics suggest a huge problem down the tracks?

Where did you get the waffle from that I might not like the Donegal part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

machaseh wrote: »
    I am 100% in favour of Sinn Féin. Tiocfaidh ár lá !

If I understand correctly, you are from the Netherlands, and are only a recent arrival in Ireland; as such, you probably weren't around to remember a member of the PIRA murdering a Garda in the course of robbing a post office van.

A letter written in prison by one of the scumbags responsible for this outrage was read out loud at the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis, and received rapturous cheers and applause.

And this wasn't 30 years ago - it was in 2003. And the person who read out the letter is still in SF, and indeed is running in this election, and may well get a seat.

Which is a roundabout way of replying to the OP - I wouldn't vote for them, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Geuze wrote: »
    Am I missing something?

the lists are just the proposals around tax

The 20bn is what they say they will spend over current committed amounts (I believe over a 5 year term) so presumably are based on some level of growth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

mada999 wrote: »
    Do you think FG were populist in 2007 ?

I don't know.

What SF seem to be doing is trying to out populist the other populists!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the main advantage to SF getting into government is that they'll instantly have to move to the centre when the reality of being in charge of the country hits them. a lot of the rhetoric will be exposed when theyre forced to put on the big boy pants and have real responsibility for the economy.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, you are from the Netherlands, and are only a recent arrival in Ireland; as such, you probably weren't around to remember a member of the PIRA murdering a Garda in the course of robbing a post office van.

A letter written in prison by one of the scumbags responsible for this outrage was read out loud at the Sinn Féin Ard Fheis, and received rapturous cheers and applause.

And this wasn't 30 years ago - it was in 2003. And the person who read out the letter is still in SF, and indeed is running in this election, and may well get a seat.

Which is a roundabout way of replying to the OP - I wouldn't vote for them, personally.

meh, FFG are responsible for deaths on a daily basis, in hospitals, law and order. Oh and how many committed suicide during the last recession and are still doing it now, because of their appalling mismanagement!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't know.

What SF seem to be doing is trying to out populist the other populists!

FF 2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

A Sinn Fein canvasser got very flustered with me on the doorstep yesterday when I said I couldn't in good conscience vote for his candidate as Sinn Fein's economic policies did not add up.

He started almost shouting me down then, so then just to piss him off (he called while I was having dinner) I mentioned Paddy Holohan's recent comments - his reply was "Paddy Holohan is not our candidate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Idbatterim wrote: »
    thrid world transport system, boil notices, sewage flowing out into dublin bay. appalling environmental record. Sounds pretty backwards to me! but hey, tens of billions were thrown at welfare during the boom at full employment, as an example. What a great use of funds :rolleyes:

We've full employment now and SF want to top up the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ratracer wrote: »
    I think it would be the equivalent of the US voting for Donald and the UK voting for Boris and Brexit!
    It might seem great in the short term, but I think it will be a disaster in the long term.
    But, no matter who is in power, they will be unable to get everything right to suit everybody and so will be the bogey men/ women/ people come the next election.

Apart from their politics being polar opposites and Trump/Johnson having more in common with FG than SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Where I came from, if you had a problem with anti social behavior from a resident in your community , you went to Sinn Fein.

They sorted it out all right.

Usually resulted in someone getting brutally beaten with bats or shot in the knee. Not to mention the murdering of innocent people they firmly connected with. They are very good at that.

How anyone could consider them to lead this country is beyond me.

Advertisement