Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Voting Sinn Fein - Should I?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Did ye go to the PSNi or Gardai with this info that you have?

Vote away but at least be honest with yourself that you are giving power to thugs who don't give a flying **** about the rule of law.

pjohnson wrote: »
    So is conspiracy of past events the best FG have?

Suppose they cant really use much from their time in charge :pac:

Who says I'm FG?:confused: I just don't like scumbags who act like this and people should be aware of who they are voting for

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Who says I'm FG?:confused: I just don't like scumbags who act like this and people should be aware of who they are voting for

Do you have information that a candidate killed him?

Because if not its a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Vote away but at least be honest with yourself that you are giving power to thugs who don't give a flying **** about the rule of law.

Alan Farrell, FG TD, doesn't give a flying **** about the rule of law. But they allow him to stand. I know it's on a completely different level but it's not like Sinn Fein are putting forward these same scumbags for election. There is, I will admit, a very ugly hangover of the troubles tied to SF but I think that they have to be given credit for trying to move away from that.

I'm not a FG supporter and they need to be out of government as they've gone stale after 9 years in power but if Sinn Fein's policies were introduced we'd end up a basket case . It would be like 1970s UK under Labour on steroids.

Probably the best thing for them would be to be the main opposition because if they went into coalition with say FF they would realise that there isn't a endless money tree and what they could do would be very limited.

People want a change and sadly there is not much choice but Sinn Fein are certainly not the answer like Trump wasn't the answer in America. I grew up with the troubles and seeing their scummy actions daily. Young people aren't aware of what they are like unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm not a FG supporter and they need to be out of government as they've gone stale after 9 years in power but if Sinn Fein's policies were introduced we'd end up a basket case . It would be like 1970s UK under Labour on steroids.

Probably the best thing for them would be to be the main opposition because if they went into coalition with say FF they would realise that there isn't a endless money tree and what they could do would be very limited.

People want a change and sadly there is not much choice but Sinn Fein are certainly not the answer like Trump wasn't the answer in America. I grew up with the troubles and seeing their scummy actions daily. Young people aren't aware of what they are like unfortunately.

Trump not the answer ? Sure isn't the US economy not booming and unemployment at a near all time low ?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What if you haven't quarter enough skilled builders to do that and they dont want to come back,,which is the case

How much grace do you give SF to fix that problem (whilst they're creating others) ,5 years? 10?

It's not right wing you know to mention the herds of elephants in the room when it comes to notions of snap your fingers,Sing hallelujah and so many things will change under Sinn Féin, they can't and they wont
    It would be less boring I suppose until the bill arrives

If we don't have enough Irish builders, well get them from Romania, Bulgaria and Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

machaseh wrote: »
    If we don't have enough Irish builders, well get them from Romania, Bulgaria and Poland.

And where are they going to live?

ricero wrote: »
    Trump not the answer ? Sure isn't the US economy not booming and unemployment at a near all time low ?

Ah here, nothing to do with Trump, he got elected just when the economic cycle was heading in an upwards trajectory.

He's a clown and an embarrassment, created division in American society and is the third president to get impeached and luckily won't get convicted because of political gamesmanship. I won't even mention the pussy grabbing etc. and taking his advice from Fox news.

We also have full employment here in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

So anyone you disagree with is stupid? Nice.

Others have politely urged people against voting for them because they are connected to organised crime, to pick one example. That is such an obvious reason for not going near them that it's really not that different from saying anyone who votes for them is an idiot or lacking a proper sense of morality. But nobody wants to be offensive and shove people further into the arms of Sinn Féin.

And no I didn't say anyone who disagrees with me is stupid. Saying you would have to be stupid to do a particular thing is not the same as saying anyone who disagrees with me is stupid. I'm not FF/FG or whoever else. I simply said that more than any other party, Sinn Féin's propaganda is aimed at people who have not got a clue. It's not a controversial position. I just put it bluntly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

And where are they going to live?

In new socialized housing , affordable rental housing and affordable buying scheme purchased housing. Exactly why I would vote for SF (but alas, no voting rights here ).

Or : in farther away suburbs where you can go with improved public transportation which are only really Accessible by car right now.

Or : in flats closer to Dublin city.

Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

older people who might have an issue with their past, arent aware of how FCUKED the housing situation in Dublin is, we are dealing with the here and now!

ricero wrote: »

trumps talks the talk, but at least he walks the walk! Varadkar talks the talk and does nothing, like the rest of them here. our lot attacking trump etc, what have those political failures ever done for this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote: »
    trumps talks the talk, but at least he walks the walk! Varadkar talks the talk and does nothing, like the rest of them here. our lot attacking trump etc, what have those political failures ever done for this country?

but his talk is pure bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And for the love of God I hope they will legalize , tax and regulate cannabis
    The sheer amount of tax money one could earn from that would be astounding. But I don't know Sinn feins stance on that.

Here ya go.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Action_Against_Drugs

jos28 wrote: »
    I think that voting for SF is futile. They are fielding around 40 candidates, even if every one of those are deemed elected they still need another 40 to form a government. Either FG or FF will be the largest party after the election, they won't play with SF so it's pointless.
    SF TDs will be opposition TDs with no power - simple

good post, its why I will give them a vote. FFG need a match lit under their ass, and one more term of failure, which is all they ever deliver, along with SF fielding more candidates and it could get very interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I don’t see anything fair or progressive about their €400 second home tax.

Whether it’s a one bedroom apartment in Ballybunion or a 10 bedroom mansion in Ballsbridge the charge is the same.

It’s regressive band unfair.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Idbatterim wrote: »
    FFG need a match lit under their ass

Voting for SF is not the way to light the match. The increase in SF is saying we want stupid policies like the pension age reduced, etc. It is just going to lead to more populism, rather than any sort of coherent policies being introduced.

I would have loved a PD type party to have emerged from the crash, instead we got another BS party in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

christy c wrote: »
    Voting for SF is not the way to light the match. The increase in SF is saying we want stupid policies like the pension age reduced, etc. It is just going to lead to more populism, rather than any sort of coherent policies being introduced.

I would have loved a PD type party to have emerged from the crash, instead we got another BS party in SF.

unfortunately it didnt happen, we did waste the last crash in many ways, its understandable why parties such as sf are gaining in popularity, but i cant see them going into government anytime soon, ff and fg will make sure to see to that

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

christy c wrote: »
    I would have loved a PD type party to have emerged from the crash, instead we another BS party in SF.

I agree. But a pendulum swing back and forth between FF an FG for the foreseeable future is not attractive. Hence why I am voting SF. If there was a viable alternative I'd consider it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don't know the context behind that crime. Supporting a murderer is not a good thing, no, but then again nobody is perfect.

Is it not a bit more than "nobody is perfect". It's endorsing murder.

Sinn Fein met the murderers of Det. McCabe upon their release in 2009 having canvassed for their release for years. One of these thugs later stabbed his wife.

When you ask a SF supporter, they claim it was political and of its time. That's not true It was criminal.

But its really only 10 years ago, so not that long.

In support of the family of Det. McCabe who have maintained a quiet integrity, I will not vote SF.

I'm surprised people have such short memories.

I don't believe there is any party we can vote for who has fully demonstrated integrity. That's the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

I agree. But a pendulum swing back and forth between FF an FG for the foreseeable future is not attractive. Hence why I am voting SF. If there was a viable alternative I'd consider it.

I don't agree but I can see your point.

Can't remember where I saw it before but it was something like you vote FF and FG in the hope they will do what they say, and vote SF in the hope they will not do as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

What do we care about what happens in Belfast? I for one don't give one single sh*te. I'm in Dublin, not in Belfast.
    I fully support Irish reunification

???
    I'll look into those articles later when I have the time. But to be quite honest with you, this strange obsession with the past is something I never understood about the Irish.

I prefer to look at the future. And I see Sinn Féin as by far the best way forward.

In the Netherlands discussions about politics are about their plans and the here and now, and not about whatever they might have done in world war two
    Nobody cares honestly. We are progressive and not stuck in the past like the Irish are.

I honestly don't give a sh*te about which revealing of a statue of some historical figure Mary Lou attended . I care about her policies for Ireland which will make my life here better. Maybe even to the extent that I could stay and perhaps get a passport once my country finally sinks into the sea (as no, we are not oblivious to climate change ). As the country is run right now I can't see myself staying for much more than two years

So your answer is that you would have no problem with a current Dutch politician loking so far into the past and paying homage to Dutch WWII fascists?

Now more than ever in Central Europe is it becoming obvious that t"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Or as Milan Kundera is quoted in the article I previously linked to: "the struggle of man against power is still the struggle of memory against forgetting"
    As the country is run right now I can't see myself staying for much more than two years

I don't mean to be inhospitable, and I'm conscious that you started a whole thread about your difficulties making connections in Ireland (another exercise in trolling?) but perhaps I should make you aware of an old Irish saying: "Here's your coat, what's your hurry?"

People in this country want to blame the govt on everything. In many cases, it’s the people that are the real problem.

Housing crisis is brought up again and again. Yet people are constantly protesting against new builds for all kinds of reasons. I’ve seen some of these protests myself. And they’ve severely delayed getting the houses built.

Public transport is brought up, again people protesting left, right and centre for all kinds of reasons.

Large multinationals withdrew plans from certain counties due to protesting by residents. Companies that would have boosted employment in those counties.

And then obviously all the people that can’t financially support themselves having kids and whinging that it’s not fair.

Hell, the hospitals are over run due to people running to A+E every time they don’t feel good.

No government is easily going to solve these problems. Fine Gael made a decent attempt imo. They could’ve easily thrown money at everyone in the last budget with the election forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The way Brian Dobson treated Mary Lou in that interview has made my mind up. What a bully he is, his whole demeanour in the interview was aggressive compared to Leo and martins interview. RTE are shameless really, no attempt whatsoever to remain impartial.

I won’t be voting SF but the rise in popularity of any far left or far right minority party signals that all is not well in a country - hopefully both FG and FF take heed and adapt their policies to address the issues that are being highlighted by the electorate- whoever gets back in govt needs to sort out the mess or we really could be seeing SF as a viable govt party in future elections.

I won’t be voting SF but the rise in popularity of any far left or far right minority party signals that all is not well in a country - hopefully both FG and FF take heed and adapt their policies to address the issues that are being highlighted by the electorate- whoever gets back in govt needs to sort out the mess or we really could be seeing SF as a viable govt party in future elections.

Totally agree here.

There is no one to vote for and people are totally disillusioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

yes, like who in their right mind wants a society that cares about its people rather than industry. Oh the thoughts of it.

maccored wrote: »
    yes, like who in their right mind wants a society that cares about its people rather than industry. Oh the thoughts of it.

They really cared about the McCabe family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

SF is a vote for green diesel, kneecappings, organised crime, and massive taxation for the working Joe.

I've met and spoken with Mary Lou and Gerry , and they are really really nice people.
    I had great craic with them, but no way would I vote for them.

Advertisement