Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil prices in the city

Options
  • 03-02-2020 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Just an observation really...has it struck anyone else why the kerosene oil prices in Galway are much much higher than other parts of the country?

I just checked online and the average prices seem to be around the €650-660 mark for 1000 litres. In Galway, the cheapest I could find was 710 for 100 litres with many companies quoting €730. In Athlone, the price was €635. Its a significant difference and with oil prices taking a dive recently why hasn't this been reflected in the prices we get in Galway?

There shouldn't be that big a difference, does anyone know why this is the case?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

portcrap wrote: »
    Just an observation really...has it struck anyone else why the kerosene oil prices in Galway are much much higher than other parts of the country?

I just checked online and the average prices seem to be around the €650-660 mark for 1000 litres. In Galway, the cheapest I could find was 710 for 100 litres with many companies quoting €730. In Athlone, the price was €635. Its a significant difference and with oil prices taking a dive recently why hasn't this been reflected in the prices we get in Galway?

There shouldn't be that big a difference, does anyone know why this is the case?

Same with the petrol pumps, there’s a whiff of a cough cartel cough thats just ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is odd considering oil is/was landed in the port here, yet it's cheaper in Leitrim
    There would never be a cartel or anything of course
    https://www.ccpc.ie/business/enforcement/criminal-enforcement/criminal-court-cases/home-heating-oil-cartel/
    https://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.org/eu/20-papers-today/energy/8519-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
      It is odd considering oil is/was landed in the port here, yet it's cheaper in Leitrim
      There would never be a cartel or anything of course
      https://www.ccpc.ie/business/enforcement/criminal-enforcement/criminal-court-cases/home-heating-oil-cartel/
      https://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.org/eu/20-papers-today/energy/8519-

Pretty sure its Bitumen that's landed in Galway Port rather than Kerosene?
      Galway always pricer alright though. Need to get me a heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

So, what have the people of Galway been paying for theirs recently? Prices in the UK have been dropping the past few weeks (Birmingham) to around 40-41p per litre plus 5%vat which equates to around €.50 per litre.
      Wanted to order 1000 litres and was told to hold off till Monday if possible, as prices would likely be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

portcrap wrote: »

Use this website www.cheapestoil.ie I find where I live "Meath" and in Westmeath have some of the best prices around compared to the other counties for some unknown reason. Also the price of Brent crude oil is down to $55.02 at the minute but prices don't fall as quick as they rise.....

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
    Advertisement