Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GP surgery not taking on new patients

• 03-02-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Mods - Not sure if this is the correct topic to put this under, I’ve searched through the topics and cannot see anything relevant to my question, so please move if needed.
    I want to change doctors to nearer my home as it is much more convenient to my workplace too. I have phoned nearly every GP practice in the town and each one of them have said they are not taking on any new patients.
    Is this allowed, are doctors allowed to refuse you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Mods - Not sure if this is the correct topic to put this under, I’ve searched through the topics and cannot see anything relevant to my question, so please move if needed.
    I want to change doctors to nearer my home as it is much more convenient to my workplace too. I have phoned nearly every GP practice in the town and each one of them have said they are not taking on any new patients.

Would you be considered a problem patient?

Can you do a walk in? Anytime I've moved I just do a walk in to different docs when I've to go until I find one I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Can you ask to be put on a wait list for when space does open up?

It's not uncommon for this to happen in areas that have recently undergone significant growth, it can take a while for everything to catch up. Schools can experience similar, they need to turn people away once they are full.

It would be irresponsible for a clinic to take on more patients than they can adequately care for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 castlegrange19

Can you do a walk in? Anytime I've moved I just do a walk in to different docs when I've to go until I find one I like.

Considered a problem patient by who :eek: :confused::confused::confused:

I am looking for a new GP in the area as i'm just new to the area. I have rang a few of them and they just say sorry we are not taking on new patients. They don't know me, don't know anything about me, they don't even ask my name, just sorry we aren't taken on new patients.

Can you ask to be put on a wait list for when space does open up?
    I never thought of asking about a waiting list. Thanks ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You could chance asking if they know of local surgeries that are taking on new patients too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unfortunately its entirely normal for GP's surgeries to be full and for them to refuse to take new patients.
    I live in West Dublin- and have no surgeries within any reasonable distance of work or home that are taking new patients- any time I've needed GP services or prescriptions lately- I've had to go to the VHI Swiftcare clinic- I haven't had any other option.

Not sure about 'waiting lists' though I guess it would make sense.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Finchie1276

Hi
    You will find it is the case all around the country. In my area there are 300 people on the waiting list for the biggest surgery in my city. Thats what we got from our Government. You can't get onto a list but you can change the Government! This Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Our GP is retiring and we spent two full days going from GP to GP looking for one who would take us . We most definitely are not “ problem patients “ ? Why would you even ask that question !

OP . We asked to go on waiting lists and also rang my own GP to see if he had any idea who might take us . Thankfully he gave us a name to try and he took us on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

you must be a medical card patient so?

within their rights to refuse - just move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We have no medical card and found it extremely difficult to find a new GP .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Same boat OP, have to drive over 50km to the far side of Dublin to my GP after I moved, on a waiting list for a local GP... for the last 2 years.

Still, the waiting list is your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

2 mods just replied! Did they just miss 'the problem bit ' yes i no report the post as ive never seen this mod in this forum before.
    Op can you give the area you are in?

That’s a ridiculous response.

The 2 unhelpful mods have me baffled ill get a ban for reporting

Christ on a bike.You must be medical card 🀔 lucky everyone knows your financial details

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

triona1 wrote: »
    2 mods just replied! Did they just miss 'the problem bit ' yes i no report the post as ive never seen this mod in this forum before.

I'm not a medical card patient, I'm private- I can't get a GP- the issue is not just related to medical card patients, surgeries are full- and it doesn't matter whether you're paying privately or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi
    You will find it is the case all around the country. In my area there are 300 people on the waiting list for the biggest surgery in my city. Thats what we got from our Government. You can't get onto a list but you can change the Government! This Saturday!

And you expect something to change then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They are mods of different forums, they gave constructive responses and they are allowed post on anything just like you or I. Please put down the chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Same thing happened to me, all surgeries full and i dont live in a city.
    Most do ‘open hours’ where you can turn up but get seen first come first serve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You need to get in touch with the “business manager” of primary care in that area. S/He will contact local GP’ in the area and make representation of your behalf. You can call the HSE 1850-24-1850 and they’ll direct you to the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Of course they are, as long as they're not discriminating. There's only so many working hours in a week.

• Advertisement

@The conductor doesn't matter 2 mods now I think 3 im using my phone so excuse that I can't quote,the op asked for advice has not gave a area for anyone to guide them with but all over sudden mods are popping in with no idea of the persons financial situ until the person replied 'thought man assumed he'd a medical card' your a fair man i know this as i said ill take a ban,ive never seen so many new* mods in this part of boards vultures shame on you all.

Medical card? where did I say i'm a medical card patient :confused: that's a bit of an ignorant assumption.
    I'm in full-time employment and have never had the 'opportunity' of owning a medical card.

Im using my so can't quote justatought assumed you could have a medical card so you were struck out,all mods gone now,can you say you're area or county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Im using my so can't quote justatought assumed you could have a medical card so you were struck out,all mods gone now,can you say you're area or county?

I dont know the op, but I'd say there might be a clue to his location in his name

Should have asked me instead of assuming.

I just asked if they are allowed to refuse new patients, My question has been answered.

Thank you all for your answers.

MODS this thread can be closed now as there appears to be some trolls on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's been a problem for a long time. This is from 2008.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gps-refuse-new-patients-1.918243

Should have asked me instead of assuming.

I just asked if they are allowed to refuse new patients, My question has been answered.

Thank you all for your answers.

MODS this thread can be closed now as there appears to be some trolls on here.

Op, as a Health Clinic owner with GPs working there, hopefully I can provide definitive answers and reasons to your predicament.

Yes GPs can refuse to accept new patients, the extension of free treatment to U6’s has greatly increased workload for all participating GPs, this coupled with an increase of nearly 1m medical cards mean a consequential increase in people attending GP Clinics. Allied to this is the fact that nearly 700 GPs are within 5 years of retirement age, and GP training schemes have no chance of training enough Doctors to replace them, and that the Government intends to extend free care to U16s, and rural GPs are moving to urban Clinics where colleagues can provide cover, means that patient migration to other Clinics is going to be a huge problem in the years to come.

Op, the phone rings all day, every day with people looking to join GP lists, they simply cannot cope. When workloads reach a point where it becomes unmanageable, GPs close lists and are unlikely to open them.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Considered a problem patient by who :eek: :confused::confused::confused:

I am looking for a new GP in the area as i'm just new to the area. I have rang a few of them and they just say sorry we are not taking on new patients. They don't know me, don't know anything about me, they don't even ask my name, just sorry we aren't taken on new patients.

I had the same issue when I moved to a new area. I'm not a medical card holder, problem patient or hypochondriac :D.

Literally every doctor's office had a full patient list and weren't accepting new patients. I went on the waiting list for a few of them. When I had an issue I rang my MIL's doctor (who had a full waiting list) and name-dropped her in order to get a once off appointment. But now I'm on their system so if they ask if I'm a patient of theirs next time I can honestly answer yes. ;)

It's incredibly frustrating but there's a nationwide shortage of doctors. It's absolutely nothing personal.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod

Triona, You joined boards in 2006, so you should be well aware of how things work in the different fora.
    Outside of their own fora, mods are ordinary posters. The two mods you attacked for not moderating the thread were NOT Personal Issues mods. As well as that, Mods can post on threads in their own fora if they like.
    Furthermore, their posts were more in line with the rules of the charter than yours were. You broke multiple rules while accusing others of breaking rules you invented. This is not acceptable.

Please read the forum charter before posting in Personal Issues again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement