Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Alarm & Nest Mesh WiFi

• 03-02-2020 5:38pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of installing a mesh wifi in my house and figure Google ticks a lot of boxes but there's the Nest version released last year but it isn't available through the Google Ireland Store, I can go an use Parcel Motel to get it but now that I'm looking into it I think I might get the Nest Alarm as well but that isn't available on the UK site either, does anyone know where I could pick these up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Did you end up getting it? I just order nest WiFi via Parcel Motel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got it alright, it's a great job, complete house coverage and most of the garden, the guest wifi is very handy as well, I have a Max Hub in the kitchen and it has the QR code for people to connect to, small thing really. Having each spot as a speaker/google is a very nice touch as well, I thought the lack of physical network point would annoy me but it doesn't at all. I would highly recommend it, the only downside was how easy it was to setup, I remember when setting up a mesh network like that would take weeks of a CCNA qualified engineers time, took about half half an hour to setup all the points.

Oh yeah, being able to ringfence a set of devices is particularily handy for the kids stuff

Sounds exactly what I need, thanks. Simple to set up is a bonus for me. I've ordered the router and one point as I'm trying to reach my attic and the Eir router doesn't stretch that far. Sounds more reliable than an extender for that.

Like the idea of the ones for the parental controls. Read that you can disconnect certain devices and not others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It uses the Google Safe Search which is decent enough but I still keep an eye on the kids stuff, you can pause access to devices or set timers and stuff, oh yeah you can do it all remotely as well.

I've mine setup all around the house but I just checked there and I've full access in the furthest point of my attic through the point I've added upstairs (I'm that bored)

Do you use it with your modem or does it replace the modem?

• Advertisement

Sesame wrote: »
    Do you use it with your modem or does it replace the modem?

Use it with the modem, I've the WiFi in that and just used it for wired stuff now lile powerlines, hue hub and the alarm

Thats diffferent to setup I imagined, hmmm. Thats, I may need to do more homework on how to set it all up. Networking not my strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The recommendation is to have your modem in bridge mode and use the nest wifi router as your router.

This would avoid double NAT.

Ush1 wrote: »
    The recommendation is to have your modem in bridge mode and use the nest wifi router as your router.

This would avoid double NAT.

Thanks for that. Installation will keep me busy over the weekend working that out. Will that be the standard way if I follow the instructions?
    Are you saying, I plug the Google router into the wall, then Eir one into that using the dsl lead? This is way over my head. Do I change some setting in the Eir one to make it a bridge?
    I'm trying to make best use of my speed and keep it consistent.
    My main two priorities are reaching the attic and keeping line consistent for video calls. Then having similar strength WiFi across the house is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thanks for that. Installation will keep me busy over the weekend working that out. Will that be the standard way if I follow the instructions?
    Are you saying, I plug the Google router into the wall, then Eir one into that using the dsl lead? This is way over my head. Do I change some setting in the Eir one to make it a bridge?
    My main two priorities are reaching the attic and keeping line consistent for video calls. Then having similar strength WiFi across the house is a bonus.

Yes you would have your DSL still plugged into the Eir box, then an ethernet cable from the Eir box to the Nest.

Then just Google the name of the Eir router model and bridge mode and find instructions. All ISP routers will be slightly different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I went with Linksys triband. THe performance is better to google and it has Linksys aware. I got the 3 units for just over 200 pound from Amazon

Linksys aware will send a notification to your phone if it find movement in the house. You can set it so it wont go off if the hoover is going. Might be worth a look

I alos have tried in last 3 month
    Linksys Dual Band
    BT Whole Home system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Vingil

@sesame Did you manage by buy the nest wifi? I am unable to find.

Yes, I bought it on Google UK site and sent via Parcel Motel. Was very fast. I have it setup and its working well except for one thing.

I have it set up this way: The dsl connecting eir modem to wall socket. Then the ethernet connecting Eir modem to Google router.
    I can see both my Eir1234.... and Googlewifi when I search for WiFi networks.

Is this the double NAT issue mentioned earlier?Ive tried to forget the Eir WiFi on every device and connect each one to the new Googlewifi. This is working, but I am having an issue with my printer connecting which seems to be confused over how to change to new WiFi. To get rid of the Eir WiFi from being visible to any devices, I found the settings to try changing the Eir modem to bridge mode. I did this via the Eir Admin settings. But this cuts off Internet access for both eir WiFi and Google WiFi. I rebooted both modem and router but still no Internet access on either.
    The only thing that fixes it is a factory reset on the Eir modem which sets the bridge mode back to Off. But this sets me back to the original problem where I have two WiFi networks both connecting to Internet.
    Is there somewhere I've gone wrong?

Mines the newer version to the above amazon link. Its called Google Nest WiFi. And I got one router and one point. It was £239. Does seem more expensive than repeaters, etc, but I like the control over kids networks, the point that works as as Google home, and the mesh network which is supposed to keep the signal strength over the full range.

Mines the newer version to the above amazon link. Its called Google Nest WiFi. And I got one router and one point. It was £239. Does seem more expensive than repeaters, etc, but I like the control over kids networks, the point that works as as Google home, and the mesh network which is supposed to keep the signal strength over the full range.

I dont mean repeaters. I paid 200 quid for the Linksys Tri-Band: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WHW0303-UK-Tri-Band-Extender-Whole-Home/dp/B01N5M9NNB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=linksys+triband&qid=1586102304&sr=8-3

It was in Amazon warehouse but was one of those sent back with no damage. Just need to keep an eye on it.

Works the same as the Google solution except it has a seperate 5Ghz wifi channel which is used to communicate between the nodes, so you don't have congestion blocking the performance for you connecting to the nodes. Google is only dual band so you could potential have issues if you need high performance because as well as your communication to the node, you also have communication between the nodes on the same connections you are using.

I have tried numerous over the last few months, all dual band and struggled. I was replacing multiple to-link adapters with wifi. Moving to the tri-band seems to hae resolved those issues, the Linksys aware is good as well, so it sends alerts to phone if people move around in house, I need to set it up properly but could be handy in future

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

I have it set up this way: The dsl connecting eir modem to wall socket. Then the ethernet connecting Eir modem to Google router.
    I can see both my Eir1234.... and Googlewifi when I search for WiFi networks.
    Is there an option on your Eir router to turn off wifi completely? This would at least avoid the problem of seeing two wifi networks.

lemeister wrote: »
    Is there an option on your Eir router to turn off wifi completely? This would at least avoid the problem of seeing two wifi networks.

I found Enable Wireless and turned it to off. On both 2.4 and 5 something.
    That might do it thanks!

Advertisement