Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How about get a degree where there are jobs instead of crying about it.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Do you see the irony of your post at all? Everyone who disagrees with you is a 'dry ****e' They say if you meet an asshole in the morning and an asshole in the evening there's a good chance that it's you whose the .......

What irony?

Why do you and others care so much about what someone who you will never meet is doing with their lives in another country?

I wouldn't use The Times to cover the floor of the box for newborn kittens and there was a particular dose who had a whinge about having to move to Belfast from NY a while back (which I suspect you have read previous before you got banned in another life and now you're trying to curry favour with the outrage brigade here on Boards with a new iteration, dunno could be wrong) but this lad needed a job, ****ed off and got said job in London and in the meantime is doing something relevant to his degree which, lets face it, he would not be able to do here.

So what really is the problem then?

KiKi III wrote: »
    Then don’t read that section of the Irish Times?

i dont

corollary ofc- dont read peoples posts that annoy you in response to irish times articles that annoy them

see?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    All sound like dreadfully boring sectors to work in, no thanks

they can all be great fields to work in

as far as can be discerned, you dont really believe that any field is good to work in, is that not a reasonably fair comment!

i dont think a playwright working in a cafe in london for ten years has been a playwright for ten years

hes been working in a cafe for ten years

anyways good luck to the lad I hope he gets huge material from this thread

in general, to the point of "artistes" vs "proles"

i know a few writers, their ideas of what 9-5 life, suburbia, all that is or can be tends to be desperately clichéd stuff.

their ideas on society, politics etc really does tend to be pretty one-dimensional "i look in as an outcast" stuff that tbh i had heard a hundred times by christmas in first year at college at house parties.

yer average worker has never in the field of human history had access to art, creativity, analyses of same, the time and leisure to partake as much or as little as they like.

this supposed gap of culture is hugely overstated, im ok with not having the celtic tiger and post celtic tiger periods searingly excoriated by prionsais and his trinity masters, ive two thousand years worth of literature on my kindle to get through thanks

What irony?

Why do you and others care so much about what someone who you will never meet is doing with their lives in another country?

I wouldn't use The Times to cover the floor of the box for newborn kittens and there was a particular dose who had a whinge about having to move to Belfast from NY a while back (which I suspect you have read previous before you got banned in another life and now you're trying to curry favour with the outrage brigade here on Boards with a new iteration, dunno could be wrong) but this lad needed a job, ****ed off and got said job in London and in the meantime is doing something relevant to his degree which, lets face it, he would not be able to do here.

why do you care so much what people post about him?

see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

He should set up his own theatre company and produce his own plays.

why do you care so much what people post about him?

see?

I don't?

It's not going to take my sleep away tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

What irony?

You really should calm down before you burst a blood vessel. I'm a random stranger on the internet who has a different view point to yours, if you can't comment in a civil manner on a subject then perhaps you should step back and go post on something like rainbows and lollipops. Your post reads like a child having a tantrum. Feel free to take your ball home.

i dont think a playwright working in a cafe in london for ten years has been a playwright for ten years

hes been working in a cafe for ten years

anyways good luck to the lad I hope he gets huge material from this thread

in general, to the point of "artistes" vs "proles"

i know a few writers, their ideas of what 9-5 life, suburbia, all that is or can be tends to be desperately clichéd stuff.

their ideas on society, politics etc really does tend to be pretty one-dimensional "i look in as an outcast" stuff that tbh i had heard a hundred times by christmas in first year at college at house parties.

yer average worker has never in the field of human history had access to art, creativity, analyses of same, the time and leisure to partake as much or as little as they like.

this supposed gap of culture is hugely overstated, im ok with not having the celtic tiger and post celtic tiger periods searingly excoriated by prionsais and his trinity masters, ive two thousand years worth of literature on my kindle to get through thanks
    I'm an average worker who hasn't got a degree yet I love to visit Italy and explore the wonderful art and sculpture. I enjoy opera, classical music and literature.

mariaalice wrote: »
    That is an interesting article, how people did the boring stuff and worked as a civil servants while pursuing the arts and some became very well known.
    He wouldn't pass the entrance exam for the CS.

• Advertisement

You really should calm down before you burst a blood vessel. I'm a random stranger on the internet who has a different view point to yours, if you can't comment in a civil manner on a subject then perhaps you should step back and go post on something like rainbows and lollipops. Your post reads like a child having a tantrum. Feel free to take your ball home.

I have commented in a civil manner.

It's really not my problem if you can't handle a basic enough debate. Of course you are entitled to your viewpoint but at least give your reasons for same.

I merely asked why you would or should be approaching conniption territory over something as trivial as a guy leaving the country to try better himself whilst staying true to his degree and you basically can't.

Be thankful you have so little to worry about. Enjoy the high ground you're trying to take, you can have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's lazy journalism filling columns. My generation who were at school in the 80's couldn't give a great whoop whoop about this guy or any other emigrant/immigrant, we just had to get on with things, nobody gave a good God damn how we 'felt' about things. It was taken as a given that you'd escape small town rural Ireland as soon as you could. You are exactly the type of person they aim this nonsense at.

Grown man gets paid to whinge about having to emigrate so he can write stuff that will probably never see the light of day and you're annoyed on his behalf because people don't feel sorry for him. If you're going to rally behind something at least find a decent cause. I hear the environment is very popular at the moment, seems my generation destroyed the ozone layer with our hairspray.

Lol. Nobody gave a “god damn” about your generation or how you “felt” (no idea why that needed inverted commas) therefore nobody should care about anyone else either and they should ridicule this bloke because he is being asked how about his experience.

The bitterness some people carry around with them is genuinely fascinating to see.

I have commented in a civil manner.

It's really not my problem if you can't handle a basic enough debate. Of course you are entitled to your viewpoint but at least give your reasons for same.

I merely asked why you would or should be approaching conniption territory over something as trivial as a guy leaving the country to try better himself whilst staying true to his degree and you basically can't.

Be thankful you have so little to worry about. Enjoy the high ground you're trying to take, you can have it.
    You aren't debating, you are attacking. The guy is no more or less important than anyone else. I don't care about him anymore than I care about you or you care about me. You are trying to backtrack now but you have been very aggressive, the online equivalent of shouting over someone in a conversation. We'll agree to disagree, as for high ground, that's something that exists in your head.

What these knobs don't realise is that some of the best creatives had proper jobs starting out: poet Wallace Stevens was a lawyer, composer Charles Ives sold insurance, artist Damien Hirst worked in construction, writer JK Rowling taught English, dramatist Arthur Miller worked in a shipyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

vriesmays wrote: »
    What these knobs don't realise is that some of the best creatives had proper jobs starting out: poet Wallace Stevens was a lawyer, composer Charles Ives sold insurance, artist Damien Hirst worked in construction, writer JK Rowling taught English, dramatist Arthur Miller worked in a shipyard.

Wallace Stevens was the son of a prestigious lawyer and was pressured into studying it, like his brothers before him did. Him and his parents eventually estranged because they didn't agree with his chosen path and marriage, the father was a man of good reputation.
    Charles Ives studied music and composed while still in college, Damien Hirst wasn't great academically but studied art anyway with construction funding his path.
    Miller graduated in an English degree, Rowling in Classics.

All of them had artistic ambitions academically and worked in these professions to keep themselves afloat or find their art education.

The bitterness some people carry around with them is genuinely fascinating to see.

Haha.. yeah.. they'll be complaining about his diet next..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Dude sounds like he's living the dream in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

My own experience
    I did an arts degree as I wanted to pursue teaching (English and History)

However I had a change of heart and completed one of the new Master programs combining I.T and Accounting
    I am now working in I.T with 6 years.

Most of my Arts classmates went to teaching / writing / further education/ start ups

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You aren't debating, you are attacking. The guy is no more or less important than anyone else. I don't care about him anymore than I care about you or you care about me. You are trying to backtrack now but you have been very aggressive, the online equivalent of shouting over someone in a conversation. We'll agree to disagree, as for high ground, that's something that exists in your head.

Easily threatened you lot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

high five on the sneering about the sneering

oh by the way everyone else is paying for you to be above working, but its ok im sure they all just decided that work was "for them"

Working night shifts ****s with your health long term. Also kebab shops sound terrible. Some people can’t afford to move away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Working night shifts ****s with your health long term. Also kebab shops sound terrible. Some people can’t afford to move away.

Some people can’t afford to move away?

Oh FFS. It doesn’t cost that much to get setup even in Dublin in a house share.

1000 for rent. 500 room, 500 deposit.
    500 to live off for the month.

Not exactly that much money to be honest.

God, that's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I don't know anyone who pays as little as €500pm in rent, and I don't think very many people could pay their electricity/gas bills, get groceries, internet, phone credit, etc on a little over €100/week - let alone have any kind of social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Fair play to this lad for getting a masters degree at 24 he probably started out at 18 or 19 in collage and at that age who is going to be worrying if your going to find a job with that degree

I hope he goes far in everything he does

KiKi III wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who pays as little as €500pm in rent, and I don't think very many people could pay their electricity/gas bills, get groceries, internet, phone credit, etc on a little over €100/week - let alone have any kind of social life.

Sorry then we will up it to 700 a month for rent and 700 deposit and 600 to live off for the first month.

That’s to get you setup until your first pay check comes through. Survive on noodles if you have to.

People will always find excuses not too move and stay on the Dole.

Sorry then we will up it to 700 a month for rent and 700 deposit and 600 to live off for the first month.

That’s to get you setup until your first pay check comes through. Survive on noodles if you have to.

People will always find excuses not too move and stay on the Dole.

Have you lived in Dublin or around commuter towns near Dublin yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Ipso wrote: »
    What kind of jobs do people with Arts degrees normally get?

There's much confusion on this thread about what an Arts degree actually is. It's short for liberal arts, which generally encompass subjects ranging from the physical and social sciences to philosophy, literature, history, languages, psychology, and maths. Many, however, seem to conflate it with the fine arts, which focus on the visual, creative, or performing arts, even though the two aren't remotely the same thing.

Here are the subjects on offer at NUI Galway, for example. There, one can earn an Arts degree involving such "useless" subjects as Information Technology, Mathematics, Economics, Law, French, or German.

Admittedly, degrees in literature don't have much value anymore, but that's because most academics focus less on actual literature (long dismissed as the terrain of dead white males and their oppressive social hegemony) than on numerous variants of Marxist theory. I don't know that it's possible to get a decent literary education in Ireland anymore — but there are many other subjects within Arts degrees that are less tainted by faddish politics.

Have you lived in Dublin or around commuter towns near Dublin yourself?

Okay please enlighten me how much you would need? Will we add on another 500 to the 600?

And yes I have lived in Dublin for about three years.

It’s a complete and utter cop out saying it’s too expensive to move.

Okay please enlighten me how much you would need? Will we add on another 500 to the 600?

And yes I have lived in Dublin for about three years.

It’s a complete and utter cop out saying it’s too expensive to move.

I wouldn't really know, I only lived in Celbridge and that was about 500 a month.

How much are you paying? do you have your own room?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Oh FFS yourself. He mentioned in his post he couldn't move for family reasons but you won't hear it and you're out to get him. I'm sure this continued bitterness isn't a reflection of your own life.

Advertisement