Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 1TB Cap

Options
  • 03-02-2020 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all sorry if this question has been asked before,
    Vodafone Fair usage policy of 1TB PM. has anyone gone over this and if so what happen, where your speeds throttled,or was there a charged. I moved to them late last year.
    I'd say I'll go over the cap by 80 or 90 GB, any information on this I would really appreciate it.
    Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭apophis32

Hi JAMCAR,
    Recently i rang vodafone to see what deal's they had, as I'm out of contract with my isp soon..
    I was told if i went over the FUP there would be a charge per GB over the cap.
    A few day's later I had cause to phone them again, raised the FUP again... but this time i was told if i went over my speeds would be throttled..... i still don't know the real story, tbh i dont think they are sure themselves...

apophis32

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The online account usage tracker went a few months ago so I wonder do they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

I will soon find out I have 800GB used up.according to my Vodafone account page.
    It resets on the 15 February. Xbox live. Netflix and Amazon Video, 4k, is eating in to the 1TB.
    Thinking maybe I should have stayed with Eir, they have fully unlimited.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JAMCAR wrote: »
    I will soon find out I have 800GB used up.according to my Vodafone account page.
    It resets on the 15 February. Xbox live. Netflix and Amazon Video, 4k, is eating in to the 1TB.
    Thinking maybe I should have stayed with Eir, they have fully unlimited.

This is why I would never go with Vodafone or Digiweb, two providers with a 1tb limit in 2020. For FTTH connections this is becoming a very stingy limit as we move towards 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JAMCAR

I totally agree, unfortunately I thought unlimited ment unlimited. the only reason I left Eir was because they wouldn't give me a deal,to renew my contract,and Vodafone had a great deal, at the time. Maybe now not as good as I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JAMCAR wrote: »
    I totally agree, unfortunately I thought unlimited ment unlimited. the only reason I left Eir was because they wouldn't give me a deal,to renew my contract,and Vodafone had a great deal, at the time. Maybe now not as good as I thought.

when it comes to unlimited it can mean anything and they can get away with it. Eir mobile claim unlimited but it has an 80gig limit. Imagine claim unlimited and they have a 1tb cap. Digiweb, Vodafone and Pure also claim unlimited, they all have a 1tb limit.

Airwire, Eir and Virgin Media are all properly unlimited with no usage caps since 2018. Old Eir accounts prior to 2018 are still limited with 1tb cap.

Hi Gonzo,
    Ya... I have been strongly considering a move to Airwire, unless there are changes with VF or Digiweb or Other's...but even then Airwire look's good.
    Truly unlimited should be universal in 2020, epically as most if not All of these Company's are constantly preaching the benefit's of HD or UHD content and Entertainment.

apophis32

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

Vodafone were around recently trying to sell SIRO gigabit. I specifically asked is there a fair use policy and they said no. Then followed up by asking so if I download 6TB in a month that is not an issue, response no problem there are no limits.

I checked https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed.html and fair usage is defined but no limits mentioned.

Some one at vodafone's end is clearly wrong somewhere but who is telling the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I have Vodafone since 2012 and have broken 1TB every month since

Never heard anything from them

Hi All,
    I'm just off the phone after ringing Eir, Airwire and Vodafone...
    Eir and Airwire provide Truly unlimited (in my case) FTTC NO Fup, Vodafone however do NOT, and as this was my Third call to Vodafone i was on the call longer to get Their facts straight...
    Previously i was told i would be charged a fee for going over the FUP ( cap ), a few day's later on another call i was told "no fee" i would just have my speed's throttled, so on today's call after a lot of digging the latest from VF is "no charge, no throtteling" But if you go over the limited, "UNlimited" 1TB cap 3 time's they cut you off... Just what a Customer/ Consumer wants to hear... oh man!! Vodafone are a Nightmare to deal with.

apophis32

• Advertisement

apophis32 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    But if you go over the limited, "UNlimited" 1TB cap 3 time's they cut you off... Just what a Customer/ Consumer wants to hear... oh man!! Vodafone are a Nightmare to deal with.

apophis32

That is why I would only ever recommend Airwire or Eir to anyone. Until the fair usage policy is removed from all the hidden and small details, I find it difficult to recommend all the other providers as watching the clock becomes a time wasting reality to avoid the possibility of excess charges or termination of contract. The 1tb caps for FTTH came into affect in 2016 and here we are 4 years later with the same caps still in place with Vodafone, Digiweb and Pure Telecom as well as Sky for FTTH!

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Gonzo wrote: »
    That is why I would only ever recommend Airwire or Eir to anyone. Until the fair usage policy is removed from all the hidden and small details, I find it difficult to recommend all the other providers...

Just a gentle reminder that, although we don't cover the whole country, we have never imposed any usage limits on any of our customers (just ask the FTTH customer who downloaded 7.13TB over the last 28 days!!).

@Westnet: Paul,
    If you guys cover Sligo please let me know here...
    thank you.

apophis32.

@Westnet: Paul,
    If you guys cover Sligo please let me know here...
    thank you.

We cover a fair bit of Sligo. If you want to PM me an Eircode I'll let you know if we cover your area.

@Westnet:Paul,
    Will do,
    i checked on your site and it indicated supply of FTTC, but i will pm you my eircode to validate.
    Can i ask what model/ make of router you supply for fttc, as i hardwire as much of my machine's as i can...
    sending PM now...
    thank you

apophis32

Can i ask what model/ make of router you supply for fttc, as i hardwire as much of my machine's as i can...

I replied to your PM, but: we've standardised on the AVM FRITZ!Box 7530. Nice router.

Thanks for all the info Paul...

apophis32

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

From the Comreg website:

https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/internet/

“Unlimited” Broadband ‘ / Fair Use Policy

Information about Fair Usage – A number of telephone and broadband packages being offered are described as ‘unlimited’. In this context the word ‘unlimited’ would normally be taken to mean that a subscriber, having agreed to pay a set price, may make as many calls or spend as much time online as he or she wishes. However, some service contracts qualify the meaning of ‘unlimited’ by stating that it is subject to an ‘acceptable’ or ‘fair’ level of use by the subscriber. This is referred to as a “fair usage policy” in some advertising.

ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’.

Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

ComReg expects each service provider to implement a clear, transparent and policy for dealing with customer usage above any set thresholds. The policy should set out the rules for contract termination, including penalties, the charges that shall apply for any use above the threshold/limit, and the policy regarding the migration of the customer to other packages, if applicable.

ComReg advises consumers to carefully read the terms and conditions of their contracts and to be aware of the particular limits or thresholds that apply before purchasing.“

@dub45,
    Many thanks for that interesting, and informative post...

apophis32

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Just a gentle reminder that, although we don't cover the whole country, we have never imposed any usage limits on any of our customers (just ask the FTTH customer who downloaded 7.13TB over the last 28 days!!).

wasnt me i swear :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Do you cover west Galway? Can i PM you my details?

Altreab2 wrote: »

Do you cover west Galway? Can i PM you my details?

Parts of it, yes - feel free.

Hi Paul,
    Where (as in my case) vdsl is already in a house, what is the downtime for changing over...
    thanks.

apophis32

Parts of it, yes - feel free.

Thanks PM sent

Where (as in my case) vdsl is already in a house, what is the downtime for changing over...

Should be effectively zero downtime. We need the UAN from your existing service, which we use to place a switch order (technically a "PNO"). This is an electronic process, so when your old router goes offline you plug in ours and carry on.

Thanks Paul, a "PNO"...?...
    Also i noticed on the westnet.ie vdsl web page a reference to 'vdsl @ 200Mb/s'... is this still a thing in 2020, or is it a dead technology..
    again thank you.

apophis32

Thanks Paul, a "PNO"...?...
    That's the order type we use on open eir's system to switch from another provider - "Provide NGA from Other" as opposed to PNN, "Provide NGA from New", which generally requires an engineer appointment.
    Also i noticed on the westnet.ie vdsl web page a reference to 'vdsl @ 200Mb/s'... is this still a thing in 2020, or is it a dead technology..

Ah yes, the ill-fated supervectoring.

There's a VDSL profile called 35b that can achieve up to 300Mb/s download speeds, and the 7530 is capable of using it. There was a project within open eir to introduce 35b on their VDSL network but it got abruptly abandoned.

Thanks for the heads-up; I'll get the website updated.

Hi Paul,
    Many thanks for that info,
    So just to confirm, if i switch to Westnet when my current isp contract runs out,
    Westnet have No cap's, No Fup's and on the plan i have available to me as of now ( fttc/ vdsl ) is TOTALLY UNlimited.
    many thanks,

apophis32

So just to confirm, if i switch to Westnet when my current isp contract runs out,
    Westnet have No cap's, No Fup's and on the plan i have available to me as of now ( fttc/ vdsl ) is TOTALLY UNlimited.

Correct.

(What am I letting myself in for...?!) :pac:

• Advertisement

Correct.

(What am I letting myself in for...?!) :pac:

Multiple attempts on the 7.2 Terrabyte monthly download record? First through the 10 TB barrier? (How the hell can you download that much of anything?) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement