Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reg for Vat & existing stock?

Options
  • 03-02-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

What's the story if you have 10k of stock and so as un-registered vat soul trader vat was charged on that stock when you purchased it.
    And now I want to register for vat but if I've to charge vat ontop of stock I've already paid vat on I'd be making a loss on it.
    Is there a solution to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

How will you make a loss if you charge vat on top of your sell price?

You can ask your suppliers to reissue invoices with the new date on, then you can claim vat back.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roots2branches

Because I've already paid vat on the stock so if I add 23% ontop of my sale price I shall be way over priced and uncompetative and the stock won't sell. If I keep prices the same with my margin at 20% I shall have to give 23% back to revenue making me a 3% loss.
    Suppliers won't reissue invoices with an adjusted date, surely that's illigal. Plus this stock has taken a few years to build up, it's neche specalist items.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are you selling business to business or business to consumer?

If business to business charging vat doesn't matter. Just increase the price. If selling business to customer then you have to take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

See section 2.20 here.

https://www.localenterprise.ie/Westmeath/Publications-Resources/Business-Downloads/Taxation-/vatguide_2008-1-.pdf

It is a bit old but relevant.

You really need to talk to the tax office. But I do not see that you will have an issue with claiming back the two odd grand of VAT on your first return. , provided you bought this stuff in Ireland, you have all the VAT invoices for these purchases ready to present, you can show possession of the stock, it is clearly stock of the business and it is not absolutely ancient.

Advertisement