Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Damaged at Work

Options
  • 03-02-2020 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

My car was damaged at work. Forklift driver dropped a bin and it hit the rear of my car breaking a light and also caused a dent. The lad came in and told me what happened and I and the manager took pictures. He said he'd sort it no problem. This was in October. I gave him two quotes in December, one for the new light and one for the cost of dent reapair and respray. Total came to €600 (the light is a copy and not an original part so was €100 compared to Ford's real one at €245), I thought I wouldn't lumber them with a massive bill, I'm sorry I didn't now!

Asked him three times about it and he dragged his feet. Anyway, I got onto him today to have the money for me by the end of the week as it's gone on too long now. He said he lost the quotes and to give me the name of the repairers and I did. He then said I'll ring them an pay it directly via credit card. I said no, you'll pay me the money. My property, my money. He never replied.

I'm thinking he's being a prick about this now as he knows I'll fix it myself or get it done cheaper, which I proably will to be honest.

Where do I stand on this? Does he have the right to not pay me and pay the repairer directly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lundstram wrote: »
    My car was damaged at work. Forklift driver dropped a bin and it hit the rear of my car breaking a light and also caused a dent. The lad came in and told me what happened and I and the manager took pictures. He said he'd sort it no problem. This was in October. I gave him two quotes in December, one for the new light and one for the cost of dent reapair and respray. Total came to €600 (the light is a copy and not an original part so was €100 compared to Ford's real one at €245), I thought I wouldn't lumber them with a massive bill, I'm sorry I didn't now!

Asked him three times about it and he dragged his feet. Anyway, I got onto him today to have the money for me by the end of the week as it's gone on too long now. He said he lost the quotes and to give me the name of the repairers and I did. He then said I'll ring them an pay it directly via credit card. I said no, you'll pay me the money. My property, my money. He never replied.

I'm thinking he's being a prick about this now as he knows I'll fix it myself or get it done cheaper, which I proably will to be honest.

Where do I stand on this? Does he have the right to not pay me and pay the repairer directly?

Should work not pay and not the forklift lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Get quotes from ford or Denning's who do work for insurance companies, let your boss pay directly. It's transparent and takes out the doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

anewme wrote: »
    Should work not pay and not the forklift lad?
    To be clear, it's the manager I'm dealing with not the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Car damaged by an employee in the line of their work then chase the employer for the repair.

You didn’t want to lumber them with a big bill but still you want to make a profit by actually getting it done cheaper - nice

_Brian wrote: »
    Car damaged by an employee in the line of their work then chase the employer for the repair.

You didn’t want to lumber them with a big bill but still you want to make a profit by actually getting it done cheaper - nice
    I am chasing the employer.

It's a company worth about €10 million, I won't lose sleep by profiting a few hundred euro from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

I'm thinking he's being a prick about this now as he knows I'll fix it myself or get it done cheaper, which I proably will to be honest

There's nothing wrong with him paying for it with a credit card. It's a business with accounts which need to balance. Your comment above would be a perfect example of why they may insist on it.
    They're obliged to pay for the repair not give you cash to the value of what the repair could cost so you can try profit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

he's entitled to want to pay the bill himself, directly, if he wants to.
    He's offering to pay the bill.
    that is the end of the story really.

unless a new one begins with him not paying.................

raxy wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with him paying for it with a credit card. It's a business with accounts which need to balance. Your comment above would be a perfect example of why they may insist on it.
    They're obliged to pay for the repair not give you cash to the value of what the repair could cost so you can try profit from it.
    Nothing wrong with it but it's not his call.

I'm not looking for cash specifically, I've no problem with bank transfer or any paper trail. It's compensation.

he's entitled to want to pay the bill himself, directly, if he wants to.
    He's offering to pay the bill.
    that is the end of the story really.

unless a new one begins with him not paying.................
    Where did you get this from? Is there some sort of law I've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

OP is entitled to be compensated for the damage done to the vehicle. Either the company pays the cash for the cost of doing the job to the op, or directly to the repairer.

If paid to the OP, the op is not under any onus to have repairs carried out. The OP has received cash equivalent to the damage done to the vehicle so is no better or worse off than if no damage was done. If the OP then decides to repair the vehicle with lesser quality materials then the difference between the cost and the amount received should be roughly equivalent to the loss in value on the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

He is obliged to repair the car and that's what you are entitled to.

I suspect there's multiple reasons he wants to pay the garage directly- record keeping, accuracy on price, vat reclaim etc.

I'm not sure what you should be compensated for - he has agreed to repair the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So work is willing to pay the quote to repair the damage by paying directly and getting a VAT receipt for their accounts, but you are not happy with this as you want to make money on the side?

Wise manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Nothing wrong with it but it's not his call.

I'm not looking for cash specifically, I've no problem with bank transfer or any paper trail. It's compensation.

Eugh Compo vulture

He is obliged to repair the car and that's what you are entitled to.

I suspect there's multiple reasons he wants to pay the garage directly- record keeping, accuracy on price, vat reclaim etc.

I'm not sure what you should be compensated for - he has agreed to repair the damage.
    I keep seeing this entitled word. Why is he entitld to do what he wants? I'm pretty sure it's the opposite?

Dav010 wrote: »
    So work is willing to pay the quote to repair the damage by paying directly and getting a VAT receipt for their accounts, but you are not happy with this as you want to make money on the side?
    Bingo!

I keep seeing this entitled word. Why is he entitld to do what he wants? I'm pretty sure it's the opposite?

But you gave him the quote you claim is necessary to repair the car, then after you get the cash you want to get a cheaper repair and pocket the difference, you don’t see the issue with doing that?

Dav010 wrote: »
    But you gave him the quote you claim is necessary to repair the car, then after you get the cash you want to get a cheaper repair and pocket the difference, you don’t see the issue with doing that?
    The way I see it is, my property was damaged to the value of the quote, (actually a lot lower because the light is not the same quality), pay me and it's done. None of his business what I do with the money.

The way I see it is, my property was damaged to the value of the quote, (actually a lot lower because the light is not the same quality), pay me and it's done. None of his business what I do with the money.

He should pay the garage the cost of fixing it. You weren’t injured in any way so aren’t due compensation.

Perhaps the manager knows not to trust you and wants to deal direct with the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You do know that a company must keep account of where their money goes?
    Their accountant needs an invoice and a receipt of payment as to where company money goes.
    The other option is going through insurance but that won't float your boat if you're looking to get a few bob in the back pocket.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I’m beginning to hope you leave the handbrake off the forklift tomorrow and it rolls into your car , at speed !!! Greedy clown

• Advertisement

You do know that a company must keep account of where their money goes?
    Their accountant needs an invoice and a receipt of payment as to where company money goes.
    The other option is going through insurance but that won't float your boat if you're looking to get a few bob in the back pocket.
    Yes it will. Insurance companies pay the person not the repairers.

That's incorrect.

That's incorrect.
    No it's not. I've had a cheque sent to me from an insurance company in 2014 after a van clipped my rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was hit by a car before and her insurance company paid the garage directly for my repairs.
    I didn't have the option to sex up the costs.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,808 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure just do what he wants. Don't get the spurious parts. Get the genuine ones and get an even higher bill sent to the employer. If they question the increase in price just explain that you had been trying to save them a few quid but that you thought they were being cunts so you didn't bother.

Personally, I think they are within their rights to ask to do it that way. Much easier for them to account for a bill to the garage than account for a few extra quid paid to an employee. Not to mention yourself and possible tax implications/headaches.

Sure just do what he wants. Don't get the spurious parts. Get the genuine ones and get an even higher bill sent to the employer. If they question the increase in price just explain that you had been trying to save them a few quid but that you thought they were being cunts so you didn't bother.

Personally, I think they are within their rights to ask to do it that way. Much easier for them to account for a bill to the garage than account for a few extra quid paid to an employee. Not to mention yourself and possible tax implications/headaches.
    This is the issue, no one seems to know for sure what must happen in this situation or what the legal standing of it is.

If they insist on paying directly, I'll be for sure getting a genuine Ford one and for them to fit it aswell which will bring the bill to near €1k.

No it's not. I've had a cheque sent to me from an insurance company in 2014 after a van clipped my rear.

Was the sum of the cheque based on an estimate given by a garage approved by the insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

€600 is a lot of petty cash to be accounted for, if he needs an invoice/receipt for the money then he needs an invoice/receipt, and I don't mean one knocked up on a beermat.

Was the sum of the cheque based on an estimate given by a garage approved by the insurance company?
    Myth.

Insurance company have no right to insist on where a car gets repaired. I sent them a quote and they returned it along with a cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Employee of the month candidate

Advertisement