Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which way will the election go?

Options
  • 04-02-2020 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Originally I favoured FF

Now I don't know which way it will go?

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Xwebstar wrote: »
    Originally I favoured FF

Now I don't know which way it will go?

Opinions?

I can’t see FG making the cut.

FF/Ind with confidence deal with FG

SF/Lab/Green/SD/Left rainbow coalition

FF/SF

Doubt a coalition with FG appeals to many as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In the latest poll SF are the biggest party.

I appreciate that this might change on polling day, but it would be hard to totally ignore them.

Saturday is going to be interesting.
    A big day in the history of the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont see a point in a FF vote, more of the same bull****? I see merit in either sticking with FG or SF or vote for both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

alastair wrote: »
    I can’t see FG making the cut.

FF/Ind with confidence deal with FG

SF/Lab/Green/SD/Left rainbow coalition

FF/SF

Doubt a coalition with FG appeals to many as things stand.

This one would be quite a turn-up for the books.

Would be interesting.

They'd have the country fixed in no time, so they have been telling us for years.

• Advertisement

The Opposition parties will win the election.

Then the government parties, FF, FG, Labour, will form a government for them to oppose.

I've a feeling, personally, that FG will maintain their position and Leo will stay as Taoiseach. I don't know if I necessarily agree with it, but they have been slowly but surely trying to piece things together since the collapse when they took over.

My hope is that they actually do have a long term plan and that 'you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette' is the case here. Fingers are crossed that the country being a joke in terms of almost all public service will start to get addressed now that they've gotten out of recession and put the plans in place for the 'big issue' stuff like broadband and the children's hospital.

Personally, I'll be voting Sinn Fein as my priority. They're a nonsense party, and make their numbers up using magic-money-tree calculations. However, they're a protest vote that doing nothing isn't acceptable and people are getting tired of soundbite-leadership. However, that said, FG will get all my secondary votes.

There are many things that need reform in this country, most notably the judicial system, yet there hasn't been much talk about it from FG, which is a big concern. It worries me to know someone could pour acid on my face and back and ruin my life, and not face any punishment for it. People are rightly angry, country-wide, over things like this. 7 years before a Garda Murderer (Adrian Donohue) is in court? Scrambler bikes a common sight in housing estates. Gangland crime getting to depraved levels of chopping teenagers up. Gardai being followed and intimidated.

'The Law and Order Party' are flopping hard. But my hope is that now that they've got a few potential euro to spend, they may actually have a plan in place that involves crime and punishment that isn't limited to just fining speeding drivers more money.

It worries me to know someone could pour acid on my face and back and ruin my life, and not face any punishment for it. People are rightly angry, country-wide, over things like this. 7 years before a Garda Murderer (Adrian Donohue) is in court? Scrambler bikes a common sight in housing estates. Gangland crime getting to depraved levels of chopping teenagers up. Gardai being followed and intimidated.

'The Law and Order Party' are flopping hard. But my hope is that now that they've got a few potential euro to spend, they may actually have a plan in place that involves crime and punishment that isn't limited to just fining speeding drivers more money.

You do know the history of SF in the North, don't you?

NIMAN wrote: »
    You do know the history of SF in the North, don't you?

Have you read my post at all, by any chance?

Have you read my post at all, by any chance?

I did, yes. Why?

• Advertisement

I did, yes. Why?

The part where I said:

They're a nonsense party, and make their numbers up using magic-money-tree calculations.

No matter how many votes they get they can't run the country. They're a protest vote. It'll still be FG/FF that are in power. No one with any cop on would ever let SF run the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It will be interesting. The traditional FF and FG voters might make sure to go and vote just to keep SF out.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Am I alone with my lack of understanding of anything , in

principle, between

FG and. FF?

Are they the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

adrian92 wrote: »

principle, between

FG and. FF?

Are they the same?

Don't beat yourself up, you're not alone. Someone lad got shot beside a ditch in Cork about a century ago. That, apparently, is why they're so very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

It will be interesting. The traditional FF and FG voters might make sure to go and vote just to keep SF out.

I am a traditional FG voter. I will be voting SF specifically to keep Leo, Simon, Regina, eeoghan and co, out. What a load of air heads, media whores I’d what FG now are.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Between fg and Ff they’ll get over 80 seats

To me it just means how’ll it shape up after that.

Sf to have any chance need a lot more candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Between fg and Ff they’ll get over 80 seats

To me it just means how’ll it shape up after that.

Sf to have any chance need a lot more candidates

Between the Green surge, SF, and Labour / SocDems picking up another few here and there, I'd put money on FFG not hitting 80 between them.

FG in particular are in for a shocker of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It would be like attempting to herd cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yurt! wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up, you're not alone. Someone lad got shot beside a ditch in Cork about a century ago. That, apparently, is why they're so very different.

That legend would be turning in his grave, if he saw the state of Irish politics now. He gave his life for the Irish people. Many I do feel particularly in fg, are in there for the $$$ only , not their fellow citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

adrian92 wrote: »

principle, between

FG and. FF?

Are they the same?

Yes .. equally useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Idbatterim wrote: »
    That legend would be turning in his grave, if he saw the state of Irish politics now. He gave his life for the Irish people. Many I do feel particularly in fg, are in there for the $$$ only , not their fellow citizens.

I think lots of them are there for the €€ there's one person who is meant to be a nightmare in the Dail and certainly is only there for the €€ but they act all compassionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Is it foolish to write off fg?
    Or can they turn the tide

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

And a massive turb down for the economy and FDI

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

FF+ Gr/Lab/SDs and Indos most likely option.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think we might get a lot of what we have traditionally seen in the UK political scene – shy voters. People who say that they’ll vote one way before the day but when they get the pencil in hand, go for the same old.

FF with the biggest number of TDs, FG in a ‘surprise’ second and SF making gains but still fewer than 30 TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

No matter how many votes they get they can't run the country. They're a protest vote. It'll still be FG/FF that are in power. No one with any cop on would ever let SF run the place.

Pretest votes are dangerous. If a person had voted for Brexit or Trump purely as a protest vote, they'd probably be regretting it now.

Vote for whoever you think will do the best job. Or even the person who'll do the least bad job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In the latest poll SF are the biggest party.

I appreciate that this might change on polling day, but it would be hard to totally ignore them.

Given that they are only running 42 candidates, it would take a truly freakish set of circumstances, including big gains for the other left parties, for them to finish up with more TDs than both FF and FG.

tjhook wrote: »
    Pretest votes are dangerous. If a person had voted for Brexit or Trump purely as a protest vote, they'd probably be regretting it now.

Vote for whoever you think will do the best job. Or even the person who'll do the least bad job.

It's okay, I've changed my mind about protest-voting SF after last nights debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's okay, I've changed my mind about protest-voting SF after last nights debate.

Pretty much the same, I'm just going Independent. 3 main parties are hopeless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement