Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can older people get work?

Options
  • 04-02-2020 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I am in this catagory.

Would like to have a job; something to get up in the ( early!) morning for.

I was told that virtually impossiple for one of my age to get a job.

I wonder if anyone has sussestions or experience of my situation?

Thanks, in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tesco seem happy to bring in older workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I know a chap in his early 60's that picked up a part time job during the summer giving tour guides, sounds like he loved it, and was delighted with the few quid, so it is possible. You could also get involved in some groups that get going early in the morning, or maybe some volunteer work

• Can we assume you are not yet retiring age? Regardless of that, could you advertise yourself as some sort of odd job/services jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

How about volunteer work? I heard people getting paid work out of it.
    I don’t know you’re situation but Community employment schemes are another option

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

ge_ch wrote: »
    How about volunteer work? I heard people getting paid work out of it.
    I don’t know you’re situation but Community employment schemes are another option
    Yes, certainly an option, but as usual in Ireland it is not that simple. You have to go to the Department, fill out a declaration saying you not taking someones employment blah blah. Not a straight forward thing. Personally, i tried it to do a simple job, the organisation involved (GAA) requested me to do it, just to make sure of no problems insurance wise etc. In the end, nobody wanted to sign off, so we left it. I did the job anyway, but the form-filling is OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedzer01

B&Q seem to take on older workers a lot like Tesco’s. Many I have met have been very helpful and re: diy round the house seem to have a lot of experience and generally more chatty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Have you got the means to go self-employed? Maybe open a cafe or deli or healthy food shop? Rent the premises and then if it doesnt work out you wont be down that much plus its something you might enjoy.
    Have you many friends and relatives in the area? If so they'd surely pop in and you'd have a a head start plus people will follow people if they see bums on seats.
    If that doesnt sound like something you'd like then what about running a taxi service or a mini-bus for kids sports etc...? Delivery service/courier?
    I know if I was struggling to find work I would look into doing something self employed.

Advertisement