Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Can SF run the country ,? Yes of course they can. Although we would end up like Venezuela with the exception of instead of blaming USA for the major mess they would make it would all be the Brits fault.

Just leaving this here because I can see SF topping quite a few polls but the poll toppers may not elected due to SF poor transfer record. I can't wait for meltdown on social media after the elections.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/proportional_representation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Sinn Fein only know how to spend the money that the Brits gave them.
    Like a teenager before their first job.

They've no idea how to earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The previous Fine Gael government.
    Yeah in 2014 when we had little extra money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Nal wrote: »
    Basic stuff.
    That's fairly mean-spirited stuff from the Indo if we're being honest. Focussed on a very narrow piece of an overall manifesto. It's a bit of a mud-slinging piece.

It does show though that Mary-Lou will have to bring out her A game for tonight. The other pair will take this opportunity to tear SF down as much as possible, and if she's not on the ball she's going to wish that she hadn't been invited along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's really not FF/FG/Lab or SF who are to blame fro arrears although they are to blame by the almost annual LPT reduction. It's the poor income collection by most councils. Some of the Dublin ones are aggressive on commercial rates but like the majority next to useless on rent collection. What's the government solution to that?

Answering the suggestion that everyone but FG is responsible. Agreed, it's not a new problem.

Bring in legislation to take it from source.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein only know how to spend the money that the Brits gave them.
    Like a teenager before their first job.

They've no idea how to earn it.

I'd imagine getting shot and/or interned was some work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

That is not relevant at all to the linked article. Do you read before responding?

FINANCE Minister Michael Noonan wants house prices to rise further and claims fears of another property bubble in Dublin are exaggerated.

Speaking at the 'Sunday Independent Business Evening ' last night, Mr Noonan also said the Government will use the state property agency NAMA to tackle the housing shortage. "We need to get property prices up another bit," he told the Dublin event.

While dismissing talk of another boom, the minister conceded he was "worried" about Dublin's shortage of housing .

Mr Noonan revealed NAMA would join forces with developers to build more than 22,000 homes over the next five years.

"I'm worried about the lack of availability of family homes in the greater Dublin area in particular," Mr Noonan said.

"I'm going to use NAMA as a development agency to drive that." Despite rising house prices in Dublin, Mr Noonan said prices were still down 47pc from their peak.

"Claims that you've seen since Christmas that we're at the start of another boom, they're widely exaggerated," he said.

"Property in Dublin fell by over 50pc. They're still down 47pc from peak to trough. We can relax for a little while anyway," he said.

The minister was speaking in the wake of mounting concern about the shortage of family homes in the capital.

With huge demand for three and four-bedroom homes in established areas, major estate agents DNG have said Dublin house prices are rising by €5,000 a month.

However, at the same time, thousands are continuing to struggle to pay their mortgages.

In January, the six main banks put in place close to 14,500 permanent repayment plans for residential mortgage accounts that were in arrears.

Mortgage accounts at the six banks that are three months or more in arrears now stand at 79,427.

And in a further blow for those who are struggling with repayments, Ulster Bank yesterday admitted that as many as 1,500 of its customers face a realistic threat of losing their homes. The stark figures compare with fewer than 700 homes repossessed through the courts across all of the banks between 2010 and 2013.

Ulster Bank chief executive Jim Brown said his bank was exceeding its targets – aimed at bringing down the 14,231 of Ulster Bank home loans and 2,675 of buy-to-let mortgages that are 90 days or more overdue.

Ulster Bank said it had launched legal proceedings against more than 3,300 home loan customers in long-term arrears.

Another 2,000 actions could be on the way because those people had also not engaged with the bank, Mr Brown told an Oireachtas committee.

If 25pc to 30pc of those customers don't come to the table, even after the legal action, they will face repossession, bank bosses told the committee.

Ulster Bank's own estimates suggest that it could add up to between 1,000 and 1,500 home seizures, bank executive Stephen Bell said.

The numbers exclude so called 'buy-to-let' investment mortgages.

The figures emerged when executives from the bank appeared in front of the Oireachtas Finance Committee yesterday.

Fianna Fail finance spokes- man Michael McGrath said counting legal threats towards mortgage resolution targets was against the spirit of the initiative.

"It will send shivers down peoples' spines' that 30pc of Ulster Bank customers in arrears of 90 days or more are in the legal and repossession area," he said.

Labour Party TD Ciaran Lynch, the chairman of the committee, said the level of legal action was worrying.

He was also critical of the bank's refusal to engage in mortgage debt writedown, unless the house is sold first.

"They are very, very opposed to any debt removal that is based on people remaining in their home," he said.

Independent TD Stephen Donnelly said it was difficult to see how the bank's claims of such large numbers of mortgage-holders not engaging stacked up.

"They are certainly going for it. They are taking a no prisoner approach with the non-engagement," he said.

The number of Ulster Bank customers three months or more behind on their home-loan fell in each of the 12 months to the end of March, the best performance at any bank, Mr Brown said.

But the bank's bosses agreed with TDs that in some cases people were being hit with the threat of legal actions now because the pressure to meet Central Bank quotas for action.

The main intention of the bank's huge number of legal actions is to encourage customers who have not being paying towards their mortgage, and not been contactable, to come forward, he said.

He added: "Any customer can take themselves out of the legal process at any stage by meaningfully re-engaging."

The heads of all four main banks are due at the committee this week to update both TDs and senators on their progress meeting central bank targets aimed at forcing lenders to address the mortgage arrears crisis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

For a blueshirt to get to page 65 he'd have to learn to read first.

This sort of nonsense talk annoys me.

Why are you bringing class or background into it or can you not just argue your points succinctly without reducing the discussion to insults?

Had enough for a Siteserv deal still under investigation, a quango, jobs for our own and consultants.
    There's always money when FG want it for FG.

Had enough for a Siteserv deal still under investigation, a quango, jobs for our own and consultants.
    Not to mention Project Eagle.

• Advertisement

That is not relevant at all to the linked article. Do you read before responding?
    I skimmed it and it's all about NAMA and big houses and whole load of stuff about banks but I fail to see the relevance of it in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Most of the discussion in this thread has focused on SF’s economic policies and for good reason, their sums just don’t add up.

But there are other aspects of running a country that their experience and modus operandi don’t lend themselves to, particularly around international affairs. And there are some roles that should give voters serious pause for thought - a SF Minister for Justice? A SF Minister for Defence?

We all have something that pushes our buttons! Benchmarking Part I and II for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

FG inherited a catastrophic mess from FF, enormous crippling national debt.
    Running a government is like running a household where you're up to your eyes in debt, there's limitations on what you can do. Sometimes just putting your head down and working through the debt and managing the budget as best you can is all you can do.

I would agree,
    however.... where were the limitations and budgeting when someone spent your money on a ridiculous printer that no one can use, your money on the NCH?
    which is a farce at this stage in more ways than just fiscally. The millions and millions of your money being spent on all sorts of rubbish?

I can see very easily why people are turning to anyone else to run the household.
    it just so happens to be SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,781 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think we should give them a chance

Not to mention Project Eagle.

I imagine we'll hear stories about Noonan and his inappropriate behaviour in years to come.
    I skimmed it and it's all about NAMA and big houses and whole load of stuff about banks but I fail to see the relevance of it in 2020.

The idea was floated that FG were not responsible for the housing crisis. While FF sold stock, FG refuse to replenish it in any meaningful way not to forget them making it worse year on year.

xper wrote: »
    Most of the discussion in this thread has focused on SF’s economic policies and for good reason, their sums just don’t add up.

But there are other aspects of running a country that their experience and modus operandi don’t lend themselves to, particularly around international affairs. And there are some roles that should give voters serious pause for thought - a SF Minister for Justice? A SF Minister for Defence?
    An SF minister for Justice might investigate O'Brien and political corruption in general in a way that's a little more in depth than FFFG have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

xper wrote: »

The only question mark was people making the claim that SF will build houses @ 65k per unit. Which is complete bunk - it's a total and wilful misreading of document.

I don't understand your 'thought process'

I imagine we'll hear stories about Noonan and his inappropriate behaviour in years to come.

The idea was floated that FG were not responsible for the housing crisis. While FF sold stock, FG refuse to replenish it in any meaningful way not to forget them making it worse year on year.
    And between 2011-2014 we didn't have two red cents to do anything. Cash in the budget for housing started from 2015 but even then councils did sweet FA until about 2017.

• Advertisement

And between 2011-2014 we didn't have two red cents to do anything. Cash in the budget for housing started from 2015.
    But Noonan is clear in that article that there is no risk of a housing bubble. He was incompetent.

I don't understand your 'thought process'
    It was at a time when we could barely spend anything.

But Noonan is clear in that article that there is no risk of a housing bubble. He was incompetent.
    So when did this bubble happen? Housing issues since 2014 have been on the supply side.

And between 2011-2014 we didn't have two red cents to do anything. Cash in the budget for housing started from 2015.

2014: Michael Noonan wants to see house prices further rise at a time when prices in the capital were ballooning 5k per month. Sold vast property portfolios to institutional investors who paid little to no tax.

2020: Severe housing unaffordability problem

Do you ever think the two might be linked? And that FG policy may have something to do with it?

Yurt! wrote: »
    2014: Michael Noonan wants to see house prices further rise at a time when prices in the capital were ballooning 5k per month. Sold vast property portfolios to institutional investors who paid little to no tax.

2020: Severe housing unaffordability problem

Do you ever think the two might be linked? And that FG policy may have something to do with it?
    That's not a bubble and you know very well there's a whole lot more at work. CB rules, industry inflation, land cost etc. NAMA sold the portfolios as per their remit. Big fan of NAMA BTW but a FF invention! I'm not excusing them nor their slow response to social builds but it's pretty absurd to claim one man had such power over housing and that a single policy in 2014 caused all our woes.

An SF minister for Justice might investigate O'Brien and political corruption in general in a way that's a little more in depth than FFFG have.

Might also decide to get rid of the special criminal court.

That's not a bubble and you know very well there's a whole lot more at work. CB rules, industry inflation, land cost etc. NAMA sold the portfolios as per their remit. Big fan of NAMA BTW but a FF invention! I'm not excusing them nor their slow response to social builds but it's pretty absurd to claim one man has such power over housing.

I never made a claim it's a bubble, I said FG are responsible for property unaffordability. Which they are.

Land use, land taxation, social and affordable housing provision, planning all come under government responsibility and all could have stymied rapid price inflation.

But we didn't have a price agnostic minister for finance. We had one that *wanted* higher prices, he said it himself! And that's what we got, and here we are.

FG need to own the housing situation, they really really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Yurt! wrote: »
    A. I am not a Sinn Fein member or voter

B. An affordable house does not incur a financial burden to the taxpayer. It is bought at build cost via mortgage just like a house on the open market.

SF themselves have said the cost per unit estimate is 230k
    Ok then,
    70k units that arent affordable housing units for sale @€;230k each.... €16,100,000,000

16.1billion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-f%C3%A9in-reveals-true-self-again-with-venezuela-infatuation-1.3768126

Thats only a year ago,2 senior Sinn Fein people attending the inauguration of Maduro in that bastion of Democracy,with an excellent health service,a living wage and a Vienna model housing system with plenty food on the table

Yeah they're fine examples of fighting corruption alright ...

To answer the OP's question

Big fat NO

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    Ok then,
    70k units that arent affordable housing units for sale @€;230k each.... €16,100,000,000

16.1billion

You missed the part where it said *additional* 6.5bn outlay on top of current budget commitments. Keep up.

Advertisement