Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    And between 2011-2014 we didn't have two red cents to do anything. Cash in the budget for housing started from 2015 but even then councils did sweet FA until about 2017.

The you miss the whole Irish Water reference, board appointments, consultants, Siteserv deal, Reilly's clinics etc.? FG found money for all that.
    Yes the LA's played a role.

is_that_so wrote: »
    So when did this bubble happen? Housing issues since 2014 have been on the supply side.

Pricing too. FG are paying tax money for 25 year leases to house working people who can't afford rent on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think we should give them a chance

This isn't a Sunday morning football team, where the fat kid on the side lines should be given a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yurt! wrote: »
    You missed the part where it said *additional* 6.5bn outlay on top of current budget commitments. Keep up.

The additional €6.5bn were for an additional 100,000 houses.

SF can't even perform basic arithmetic and their supporters are little better, their experience of Government involves doling out the €12bn the UK sends them every year.

God help anyone with a job if they ever get near power.

SF can't even perform basic arithmetic and their supporters are little better, their experience of Government involves doling out the €12bn the UK sends them every year.

No. They will be changing housing policy. They will not continue as is with 25 year leases and the like and then build how ever many houses.
    I don't believe ML etc. are from the occupied area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Nope the additional outlay on top of current commitments is framed as a means to reach total provision of 100k

This isn't a Sunday morning football team, where the fat kid on the side lines should be given a go.

Well said.

Where did this 'give them a chance' sh;t come from?

Some of the decisions they could make would wreck the place for generations - losing FDI investments could condemn us to decades of hardship for example.

You don't get a 'do-over' if they completely cock the place up.

Such a cavalier attitude absolutely stinks. It's very worrying if it's endemic throughout the electorate.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Nope the additional outlay on top of current commitments is framed as a means to reach total provision of 100k

It isn't - but please continue with your misreading of their fiction.

It's amusing if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

"Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?"

So do people really think politicians actually run the country?

LOL...nice one. Politicians are basically glorified rubber stampers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It isn't - but please continue with your misreading of their fiction.

It's amusing if nothing else.

Yes it is...

https://mobile.twitter.com/eobroin/status/1222805340712067075

How amusing this is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Such a cavalier attitude absolutely stinks. It's very worrying if it's endemic throughout the electorate.

So you can't take a chance on someone, lest they fúck the place up - cautious but sensible.

In that case, where do you stand on going back to the ones who have already actually fúcked the place up?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Lackey wrote: »
    I would agree,
    however.... where were the limitations and budgeting when someone spent your money on a ridiculous printer that no one can use,

I can imagine how that happened.
    I'm sure the politicians have fairly hefty printing requirements, printing hundreds/thousands of copies of their own literature on a large scale.
    So some civil servant researched the best machine for the needs, but nobody looked at the size/where it would be housed.

These are civil servants, independent of the politicians doing this.
    Lackey wrote: »
    The millions and millions of your money being spent on all sorts of rubbish?

That's always going to happen no matter what government.
    The NCH isn't rubbish, as far as I know the scope of the project changed after initial estimates. Ministers typically should be given at least a one-year course in their department before taking leadership of it.
    The civil servants underneath should be well versed in leading or overseeing large infrastructure projects.

Sinn Fein seems more experienced in demolition than construction.

Well said.

Some of the decisions they could make would wreck the place for generations - losing FDI investments could condemn us to decades of hardship for example.

It's like the team is ****e, so give the new lad/lady a go.

Like FF/FG have done? Generational debt and working couples some who can't afford a house and individuals rent?

Looks to me like FF and FG get 'do-overs' all the time.

The cavalier attitude has worked well for both FF and FG when replacing each other. The 'ah sure' vote.

Well said.

You have an overly high and somewhat misguided opinion on politicians in this country and their importance.

SF have shown themselves to be extremely pragmatic. Shouting from the sideline is very different from being out on the pitch- they know that and would adjust accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I hate SF, but if they do what I want them to do (improve access to social housing) then I'll vote for them.

Look, the country isn't run by politicians, it's run by civil servants like every other country. SF will get into govt and the civil servants will say "sorry, X can't be done because of Y and Z".

Electing a different party into power isn't going to change much for the public. AK47s will not suddenly become legal tender when ML sits in the Taoiseachs chair, much as I hate to say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You have an overly high and somewhat misguided opinion on politicians in this country and their importance.

SF have shown themselves to be extremely pragmatic. Shouting from the sideline is very different from being out on the pitch- they know that and would adjust accordingly.

Have they adjusted their opinion on Venezuela yet?
    Attending Maduro's inauguration like..
    Such a fine example
    Anyone homeless there?
    Hows the Venezuelan health system?
    Living wage?
    Yep fine aspirational pedestal

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-f%C3%A9in-reveals-true-self-again-with-venezuela-infatuation-1.3768126

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Well said.

Why should the electorate choose the status quo? A status quo that has seen the gap between rich and poor grow and grow. If you're a landlord, if you're someone in a comfortable position in society then sure, you'd want things to stay the same. Why would somebody not in that position vote to keep things the same? People who are further from owning a home than ever, people forced to rent rooms in dreadful conditions for crazy prices, a public health care system that's being destroyed. Why would you not want something better? There's no guarantees it will be, but you know if you're voting FG or FF you're getting the same thing you always get, the rich getting richer and the poor becoming poorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,170 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Remember, it's 78 seats needed to win an overall majority and Sinn Fein are only running 42 candidates. So somebody has to help them run the country. Can you think of anyone who would dare?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I hate SF, but if they do what I want them to do (improve access to social housing) then I'll vote for them.

Look, the country isn't run by politicians, it's run by civil servants like every other country. SF will get into govt and the civil servants will say "sorry, X can't be done because of Y and Z".

Electing a different party into power isn't going to change much for the public. AK47s will not suddenly become legal tender when ML sits in the Taoiseachs chair, much as I hate to say it.

Ah no. Is there not even the chance of a free armalite?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Such a fine example
    Anyone homeless there?
    Living wage?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-f%C3%A9in-reveals-true-self-again-with-venezuela-infatuation-1.3768126

Agreed but Mary Lou missing Micheal D's inauguration to attend a SF fundraiser annoyed me more. It showed a lack of respect for the Irish Republic.

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Such a fine example
    Anyone homeless there?
    Living wage?

I am not a SF voter but if you are being hysterical if you think Ireland will suddenly turn into some South American banana republic. Hilarious how lads get all high and mighty about a far off country they nothing about.

Have a lie down for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Absenting themselves from government in NI for three years is hardly pragmatic. The fact is they are much more comfortable on the sideline.

rdwight wrote: »
    Absenting themselves from government in NI for three years is hardly pragmatic. The fact is they are much more comfortable on the sideline.

Yes and they did that all on their own.

Whether they can graduate from party of opposition to Government this side of the border remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

flazio wrote: »
    Remember, it's 78 seats needed to win an overall majority and Sinn Fein are only running 42 candidates. So somebody has to help them run the country. Can you think of anyone who would dare?

Leo would make Larry Murphy minister for ladies safety if he thought it would help him stay in the limelight power a bit longer!
    rdwight wrote: »
    Agreed but Mary Lou missing Micheal D's inauguration to attend a SF fundraiser annoyed me more. It showed a lack of respect for the Irish Republic.

Would you say it showed more or less disrespect for the Irish Republic than wanting to commemorate the R.I.C?

I've a sneaking suspicion that a large part of the swing towards Sinn Fein is down to how badly FG misjudged peoples feelings on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,781 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That kid could get a home run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

very plausible they wont, FFG will be scared as ****! They will hope to keep SF in opposition. If FFG this time dont deliver, which will be in keeping with all they have ever done. If SF field more candidates next election and win the most seats and the place is still a banana republic, how will the public feel if they use their voice and neither FFG want to go in with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what the hell have have the axis of failure and Varadkar, kenny , ahern, cowen etc been doing in power for the last two decades then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I am not a SF voter but if you are being hysterical if you think Ireland will suddenly turn into some South American banana republic. Hilarious how lads get all high and mighty about a far off country they nothing about.

Have a lie down for yourself
    Presumptive of you to think I'm high and mighty and know nothing of Venezuela
    It's about Sinn Féins hypocrisy
    Why did they send 2 representatives to a tin pot corrupt quasi dictators inauguration and avoid more important Irish presidential events
    I'll tell you why
    It's because,behind it all they are communists and refuse in the face of abject poverty and corruption in Venezuela still that it's not the model we should follow

Their all things to all men manifesto with questionable figures,aimed at pulling the wool over sections of a disappointed electorate being a means to power
    The orgasm of getting there though might be fast depleted by the reality of how impossible their aims are

Such a fine example
    Anyone homeless there?
    Living wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Fann Linn wrote: »
    LOL.
    As if it's only SF who have problems with economics.
    Just for the record.
    'Who brought the IMF in here 10 years ago?
    'Who signed and continues to sign off on the most costliest hospital in the world? '

Clue-Not SF.

In the north they have never had to balance the books or be accountable the pot of gold keep on giving from Whitehall..

• Advertisement

I think we should vote in those 42 SF, 38 PBP, 37 Greens & 43 made up of anybody else that isn't FG or FF.

;)

Advertisement