Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

efanton wrote: »
    Hold on there. I dont think anyone expected any government to do a 100% perfect job of delivering their program for government.
    Can you honestly say that FG has even delivered 50%?
    I couldnt, in fact I would argue it was not even 30%.

tell me one service that has been fixed in this country, just one out of the dozens possible?
    Cant do that, so lets make it even easier. Name one service that has significantly improved?

Likewise FF have done the same thing time and time again.
    Its not as if they dont know the result of doing something or not doing something that they have done before.

A government cant use the line that was not in the script so we are not responsible.
    If that was case why not have a vote every four year for a program for government, and then let the civil servants just get on with it and deliver it and not have any government at all.
    Governments are elected to handle the unexpected, to use best advice when given by the appropriate experts, and to change policies on the fly if what they planned is not having the intended effect. But primarily to actually make a genuine effort to deliver their program for government.
    If you are suggesting that FF and FG are not capable of doing that then why are you supporting them?

I'm not voting either FF or FG number one. There are more than 3 parties in the country, and there are very legitimate left wing parties running in the election with serious manifestos.

I'm just pointing out that, unlike SF, the other parties actually have proposals that are achievable. And you seem to be contradicting yourself, simultaneously saying it's unacceptable for parties to change policies, and also saying that parties must change policies to deal with changes (which they do). Of course this is the perfect simplistic argument for SF to shout from the sidelines while never offering any solutions of their own.

As to the question of what has the current government achieved, this GDP graph sums it up, which has all been in spite of being the most exposed country to Brexit:

501943.png

There are plenty of good jobs out there and plenty of people doing very well. It gives us a solid base to work on improving services, and I've seen lots of building going on where I am on both housing and road improvements so it's not like nothing is happening, though I'd like to see more of it which is why I'd look to parties like Labour or SD getting into coalition who would nudge us in the right direction without trashing the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I live in N.Louth Francie.
    It’s well known who was responsible but people are afraid to open their mouths.
    While Quinn was no angel, nobody deserved to die in such brutal circumstances.
    The people who murdered him are connected to the IRA who are connected to SF.
    There’s no escaping that fact.

Absolutely, he did not deserve to die in such brutal circumstances.

The people who murdered him are connected to the IRA who are connected to SF.
    There’s no escaping that fact.

The IMC know who these people were and the PSNI as well.

What difference does it make if the locals know too? It is of no evidential value.

They were also named in the HoC.

What annoys me about these criminals is that if the will is there, (See Veronica Guerin, Kevin Lunney etc) the Gardai and PSNI can and have acted and taken down their operations in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Yurt! wrote: »
    I have no objection to Murphy or anyone else being brought before the courts for Revenue offences. But it does show how the SCC is being abused directing such offences before it.

See how SF do that

"Lord make all criminal republicans chaste, but not through the only judicial process that they are likely to actually get convicted by"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

rdwight wrote: »
    See how SF do that

"Lord make all criminal republicans chaste, but not through the only judicial process that they are likely to actually get convicted by"

So you prefer worsening crises and 25 year leases to building social housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what would you call it? have you left this country and gone to other "rich " european countries, what do you reckon of their multiple underground lines for city of the same scale as dublin. What do you think of raw sewage overflows into dublin bay. Boil water notices. Raw sewage being discharged into our rivers and oceans, in 2020! the issue with the leixlip water plant recently ,dont go hiding, address this!

Maybe you dont pay a marginal tax rate of FIFTY percent, but I do and you dont think I should expect better than this farce! Your expectations and excuses are why the government do nothing here!

How do you pay a 50% tax rate? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Idbatterim, you're going to give yourself a seizure one of these days. You'll be found slumped over your laptop, with a thread about Margret Cash open on your browser. Is that how you want to go out?

you're probably right! :D Im being serious though, many areas here are starved of funding or are black holes, like health, housing etc. Its not viable, just wait to see what starts happening over the next few years. My issue with Ca$h is, there is one area way too many resources are being directed at...

they dont tolerate her ilk in other countries welfare state, but we should?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

How do you pay a 50% tax rate? :eek:

I said I pay a marginal rate of FIFTY percent, like many working poor here do!

I said I pay a marginal rate of FIFTY percent, like many working poor here do!

Ok other than to chastise my 50/FIFTY, what do you mean by the above? can you explain?

to anyone with strong reservations about SF i say this;

If (when) they form part of the next government and they succeed, great! The country will see significant improvement on housing and social inequity etc.

If (when) they form part of the next government and they don't succeed, it will put an end their professional opposition anti everything magic money tree politics for a while at least.

win win.

Every time SF have surged over the last 10 years I find myself saying that to myself. I was getting there this week (with help of Fintan O'Toole article*, and no, I'm not a massive fan) until Mary Lou went weasel-wording about Conor Murphy.

Pretending not to know what Murphy said (the issue of what he said has been bouncing around for 12 years), claiming Murphy had denied saying it, and even in debate trying to suggest he didn't say it ("in a way, Miriam, what matters is what the family heard") until O'Callaghan nailed her with the direct quote.

Despiriting performance. The old mindset hasn't gone away you know.

* behind paywall
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-it-is-time-for-sinn-f%C3%A9in-to-come-in-from-the-cold-1.4160384?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Ffintan-o-toole-it-is-time-for-sinn-f%25C3%25A9in-to-come-in-from-the-cold-1.4160384

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

its good when you put "near third world" at the start of the post, it saves time

Everything is grand. That's Ireland last week.

Crying won't help that boy ; all anyone can do is nvote for someone other than FG (which is a pity for me because in my area they are very good and I always give them a preference even if not a first preference).

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If you don't have the rule of law and criminals brought to justice, then you don't have a functioning society, and that society cannot build social housing or have crises.

First principles stuff.

You needn't be getting so antsy about the prospects for Sinn Fein. I don't believe this will affect the Sinn Fein vote and a FF/SF government is the favoured outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you don't have the rule of law and criminals brought to justice, then you don't have a functioning society, and that society cannot build social housing or have crises.

First principles stuff.

You needn't be getting so antsy about the prospects for Sinn Fein. I don't believe this will affect the Sinn Fein vote and a FF/SF government is the favoured outcome.
    You said it.

If you don't make bribing a politician a crime then neither the politician or the businessman are criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Hi This is a good article on Marginal Rate of Tax. Though a bit dated the gist is the same. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/marginal-50-tax-rate-for-those-earning-80-000-1.762798 Hope that helps,
    Ok other than to chastise my 50/FIFTY, what do you mean by the above? can you explain?

Field east wrote: »
    We need go no further than the Late 21 year old Paul Quinn who was beaten to death by up to 10 locals , apparently over 10 years ago AND NOT ONE SCREED OF EVIDENCE has been fortcoming re who was responsible , etc, etc ,etc.. I wonder why? I myself have direct experience of an individual who witnessed a robbery but would not attend court as a witness because he was afraid of what might happen to him/ his property
    Seen this?
    woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Interesting comment by Bertie Ahern in 2007:

The murder in Monaghan last month of Paul Quinn "was not paramilitary but pertained to feuds about criminality that were taking place", the Taoiseach told the Dáil.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/garda-says-quinn-killing-a-criminal-feud-ahern-1.982248?mode=amp
    Has he apologised????
    Of course not and nor should he. He was giving an account of the then murder, from where his sources of info came, and any wider implications. Or doing his job as Taoiseach and Informing the Dail.

Todays revisionism and turning the murder into a political football at election time is very cynical and misleading.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ahern-says-quinn-not-a-criminal-1.992814

A month after Ahern made his original statement and 12 years before Sinn Feinn, only under extreme duress and four days before an election, could bring themselves to give a very similarly worded "clarification".

saffron22 wrote: »
    Hi This is a good article on Marginal Rate of Tax. Though a bit dated the gist is the same. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/marginal-50-tax-rate-for-those-earning-80-000-1.762798 Hope that helps,

Paywalled unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

A 40 year old case about a Sinn Fein member... got it.
    A case that's older than at least 50% of the posters on boards I'd say.

It was always going to be one of your buddies.

Nicky Kelly was in labour and an independent

blanch152 wrote: »

First principles stuff.

Maybe if FG/FF looked after the Irish tax payer instead of themselves....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Right click and open it in an incognito/private window.

See how SF do that

non sequitur

me: given the history of violence in this state, maybe we consider retaining SCC
    you: hey look over there, there's a guy laying bricks

non sequitur

With purpose.

The best FG/FF defense in election 2020 is avoiding record in government and national crises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Here ya go

A SINGLE individual earning about €80,000 will have a marginal tax rate of 50% for 2009, when the provisions of the supplementary Budget comes into effect, the Dáil has heard.
    Labour finance spokeswoman Joan Burton said the Minister for Finance had confirmed the tax rate figures in a parliamentary reply.
    She said the 50 per cent tax rate “is a combination of income tax at 41%, income levy of 4% and health levy of 5%”.
    An individual “earning €175,000 or more will have a marginal tax rate of 52% for 2009. This is income tax at 41%, income levy of 6% and health levy of 5%. When tax credits and so on are taken into account, an individual on €80,000 will have an effective average tax rate of 36%. These tax rates have not been seen since the early 1990s,” she said.
    Ms Burton was speaking during the opening of the debate on the Finance Bill which gives effect to the provisions of the supplementary Budget. She said this era in Irish political life “will go down in Irish history as the crony capitalism period that destroyed much of the prosperity that had been built up during the Celtic tiger years”.
    Ms Burton said “it is the ordinary family with two parents and two or three children and an income of €40,000 to €90,000 that is bearing the brunt of the Government’s mismanagement of the banking crisis.”
    But introducing the legislation, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan said Ireland’s tax system remains competitive and pro-enterprise despite recent increases. “Tax increases are required. They are not palatable, nor are they easy to accept, but the measures detailed in this Bill are progressive and fair,” he said.
    He said “I do not for one minute underestimate the difficulties it is causing workers and their families. However our capacity to make these adjustments in labour costs and work practices is critical to our recovery. The sacrifices we make now will reap large economic gains in the near future.” He also renewed the Government’s commitment to the 12.5 per cent corporate tax rate, which he told the Dáil “is essential to economic recovery”.

The economy is expected to contract by 8 per cent this year, which a “more moderate decline” in 2010 “but as the international recovery gains momentum and the sharp shock in residential housing output passes through, our economic growth rate is expected to turn positive by 2011”.
    He added that “though the challenges are great, we should not forget that our economy has many strengths on which to build a recovery”.
    But Fine Gael finance spokesman Richard Bruton believed the Budget’s main measure – Nama – was a “time bomb”.
    He asked “will it get credit going? Is this the least expensive way of doing so? If it does not work, will it be possible to pull out without incurring too much cost?” He said Ireland faced “frightening challenges” and unemployment could rise to more than 600,000 by the end of next year, but despite the prospect of another 300,000 people becoming unemployed the Finance Bill “offers no new initiative as to how we shall protect the employment that is now so vulnerable”.
    The Government’s response in the Budget looked solely “at one narrow public finance problem, and addressed it in just one way, by hiking up taxes to fill the gap”, he said.

And GENERAL (U.S) explanation

The marginal tax rate is the rate of tax income earners incur on each additional dollar of income. As the marginal tax rate increases, the taxpayer ends up with less money per dollar earned than he or she had retained on previously earned dollars. Tax systems employing marginal tax rates apply different tax rates to different levels of income; as income rises, it is taxed at a higher rate. It is important to note, however, the income is not all taxed at one rate but rather many rates as it moves across the marginal tax rate schedule. The goal of the marginal rate is to place the burden of supporting the government on the shoulders of taxpayers more financially able to do so versus spreading the burden evenly to the detriment of taxpayers not able to afford anymore, while attempting to balance the problems of a straight progressive rate.

Thanks for the article, with tax credits etc. the worst (highest) rate of effective tax I can make out for this year is about 44%, saucy enough - if you were on €175k.

I'm no tax accountant though - and pay about 27% overall myself, just thought 50 was fairly exceptional.

non sequitur

me: given the history of violence in this state, maybe we consider retaining SCC
    you: hey look over there, there's a guy laying bricks
    With purpose.

The best FG/FF defense in election 2020 is avoiding record in government and national crises.

Grand, so after over 700 posts on this thread (a good chunk by yourself) you've decided that your standard response to any posts you don't agree with will be the above?

I'll get my coat.

p.s. if FF or FG get any preference from me, it'll be down the paper.

Has he apologised????
    Of course not and nor should he. He was giving an account of the then murder, from where his sources of info came, and any wider implications. Or doing his job as Taoiseach and Informing the Dail.

Todays revisionism and turning the murder into a political football at election time is very cynical and misleading.

google is your friend...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ahern-says-quinn-not-a-criminal-1.992814

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Their core vote now extends to university educated young people that cant access affordable housing. FG have gifted them an entirely new voter base. Eoin O'Broin's housing policy actually isn't all that bad when you dig into it. It's not a free-house for all the chizzlers setup - it's more or less the Vienna housing model tweaked to an Irish context. How that's worse than Eoghan Murphy's 'the morket will sort it out, yaw' policy, I'm not sure.

As to whether they can run a country, well, FG and FF's governance has been various shades of sh*t, so let's find out.

I am fairly sure that this refers to the North Sinn Fein? i.e, the university education - funded by the British taxpayer?

I am fairly sure that this refers to the North Sinn Fein? i.e, the university education - funded by the British taxpayer?

You note SF want Britain completely removed from Ireland right? :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Every time I’ve turned on RTE Radio one last 24 hours it feels wall to wall against SF. It non stop! I switch between RTE one and Newstalk and it seems like a vendetta on RTE. (Rightly or wrongly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 debs95

Sinn Fein have 42 candidates going for election... it’s highly unlikely that they will fill 42 seats, particularly in more affluent constituencies where voters will be more likely to stick to the “old reliables” FF & FG. Even if they somehow managed to fill all 42 seats, they would still need another party to form a functioning government so, that being said, I wouldn’t worry about their capabilities, or get too excited, depending on which way you’re voting!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

pc7 wrote: »
    Every time I’ve turned on RTE Radio one last 24 hours it feels wall to wall against SF. It non stop! I switch between RTE one and Newstalk and it seems like a vendetta on RTE. (Rightly or wrongly!)

That's exactly what I predicted last week. If the polls showed an increase that it would intensify.
    It has.

• Advertisement

what would you call it? have you left this country and gone to other "rich " european countries, what do you reckon of their multiple underground lines for city of the same scale as dublin. What do you think of raw sewage overflows into dublin bay. Boil water notices. Raw sewage being discharged into our rivers and oceans, in 2020! the issue with the leixlip water plant recently ,dont go hiding, address this!

Maybe you dont pay a marginal tax rate of FIFTY percent, but I do and you dont think I should expect better than this farce! Your expectations and excuses are why the government do nothing here!

ive travelled de wordeld and i pay the higher rate of tax, thanks, and id call our infrastructure "needs work" and think we get poor value out of our spend on it.

id say thats an 'x' on the report card, but i didnt **** the bed while typing it

Advertisement