Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The cost of living in Dublin is higher

Ok so not tax, higher living costs.

FIFTY :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Can the IRA ex-army council run a country?

Sure...but expect a few people to get rubbed up the wrong way with their blind nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Why do FG/FF have to be so much of the same? I mean it can be difficult to pinpoint differences between that parties other than historical ones.

They are different in name only at this stage.

Illusion of choice is all it is - they've basically been in coalition for the last decade!

I have to say i get quite a giggle from the FF fanboys on here screaching about how SF's batshít crazy economics will ruin the country. Anyone who votes FF should be banned from using the word economy, unless they're booking flights to emigrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Strumms wrote: »
    In fairness, for all the faults of both, neither have had members who killed, sold drugs, maimed, covered up murders, ran like the wind from impending justice... yes FF & FG are a ways from perfect but I’d rather that then SF and their vermin ilk, fûcking up this country, dealing in fear, violence and putting their own lazy, violent no good rabble first.

Hmmm, think you need to revise your history there, the drugs bit might be accurate enough though, or at least legal back then.

A good chunk of which is indirect taxation so yep, around 50% is accurate enough.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    A good chunk of which is indirect taxation so yep, around 50% is accurate enough.

No, it's not.

Cost of living isn't taxation, cost of living is cost of living, it varies from place to place and person to person.

I pay 2x the rent for my place than my next door neighbor does, does that count as me being taxed more? No - it's a higher cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's not though. The claim was a tax rate of 50%. I pay tax at the higher rate , but it is only on the amount I earn over the standard cut off. I lost circa 23% of my income to tax last year. I make no distinction between Tax/USC/PRSI all three are taken by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

The really sad thing is once the election is over none of the other parties will talk about Paul Quinn again. Either will the Irish Independent. They dont really care.

True and least of all likely to mention Paul Quinn will be the party that appears most closely associated with people who had a hand in his demise.

Vote as you wish but think carefully before you encourage politicians who have been and are engaged in the nasty sectarian politics of NI. We don't need that down here.

No, it's not.

Cost of living isn't taxation, cost of living is cost of living, it varies from place to place and person to person.

I pay 2x the rent for my place than my next door neighbor does, does that count as me being taxed more? No - it's a higher cost.
    It's not though. The claim was a tax rate of 50%. I pay tax at the higher rate , but it is only on the amount I earn over the standard cut off. I lost circa 23% of my income to tax last year. I make no distinction between Tax/USC/PRSI all three are taken by the state.

Disagree, you're entitled to your opinion but for me, real taxation does not simply stop on my payslip,if I'm paying more than someone else then the portion of that extra that's taxed is extra taxation.

Disagree, you're entitled to your opinion but for me, real taxation does not simply stop on my payslip,if I'm paying more than someone else then the portion of that extra that's taxed is extra taxation.

You can't disagree with facts.

You can surely have an opinion but that does not make it true. Im sure i buy more fags than you and pay heavy excise on them - but that is not a tax at source on my income.

• Advertisement

You can't disagree with facts.

You can surely have an opinion but that does not make it true. Im sure i buy more fags than you and pay heavy excise on them - but that is not a tax at source on my income.

I am stating fact.

Did you actually read my last post???
    I stated effective tax is not simply income tax (well payslip) but tax we pay over all - VAT, property, tolls, transport cost, tv licence even etc etc.

Total your entire spend then break it down and work out how much is actual taxation revenue, some of it is completely discretionary but there's also a huge part you cannot avoid especially if you live or have to live in Dublin or any other major center.

If you smoke then yes, you definitely pay more tax than me? So you are contributing far more than me, a lot more than either income tax =bracket would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/sinn-fein-apology-but-no-answers-for-quinn-family-38931580.html

That's ok so Mr Murphy. Nothing to do with wanting to get into power. All is forgiven!!!

You're entitled to your own opinion, just not your own facts.

You're entitled to your own opinion, just not your own facts.

Like us all, but nothing I've posted isn't 100% fact.

It ain't 100% true either.

Yeah we all pay vat like, it's not part of your effective tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

So are all our problems going to be solved by the northern bank money?
    ...or is that already spent?

What you have posted has nothing to do with the effective tax rate as the discussion was based on income tax. You went off on a tangent about vat etc. Which to the discussion of income tax is completely irrelevant.

It ain't 100% true either.

Yeah we all pay vat like, it's not part of your effective tax rate.

I said effective tax paid, not effective tax rate, I didn't say anything about rates etc.
    What you have posted has nothing to do with the effective tax rate as the discussion was based on income tax. You went off on a tangent about vat etc. Which to the discussion of income tax is completely irrelevant.
    Discussion was prompted by a post suggesting they paid 50% of the income as tax.
    Anyhoo, have at it.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yes. People earning over35,000 who are the working poor, certainly in Dublin , pay a marginal tax rate of fifty percent. Meanwhile the rest of the population claim they can’t afford to pay for anything. Can’t afford increased carbon taxes , No water charges ,as good as no property tax.

This was what prompted the discussion Bladespin. So have at it if you wish but you are still wrong.

This was what prompted the discussion Bladespin. So have at it if you wish but you are still wrong.

Actually, the above is the post I responded to, so yes, higher costs = higher tax paid.

• Advertisement

Actually, the above is the post I responded to, so yes, higher costs = higher tax paid.

In your words, anyhoo have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

jaysus but theres some twaddle being posted in here. northern bank money, ira council etc etc. hilarious reading. As bad as yer man myers on newstalk blaming sinn fein for vandalism

In your words, anyhoo have at it.

And out of my pocket.

But as I stated, neither FF or FG are to blame for this though you could put on on one or the other etc etc.

Very off topic, so backon: I can see why SF are so far ahead now, I started off hating them but the more I read here this forum the more I'd like to see them get in, in some form or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

And out of my pocket.

But as I stated, neither FF or FG are to blame for this though you could put on on one or the other etc etc.

Very off topic, so backon: I can see why SF are so far ahead now, I started off hating them but the more I read here this forum the more I'd like to see them get in, in some form or other.

The media have definitely shifted against FG for some reason. Probably that ill-timed commeration of murderers that even SF would have baulked at doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

And out of my pocket.

I can't remember them being "so far ahead" in any poll. In any case they can look forward to another few years in opposition

Edgware wrote: »
    I can't remember them being "so far ahead" in any poll. In any case they can look forward to another few years in opposition

There ya go: Latest Poll even RTE are saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The frustration with FG is understandable, but one thing that has me puzzled is how a seemingly large proportion of the Irish electorate still think that SF will offer any solutions at all.

In recent years they have notably championed 2 foreign governments in particular- Syriza in Greece and Maduro in Venezuala (whose inauguration was attended by Conor Murphy). The notion here seemed to be that these 2 radical movements would show how it could be done, vindicating SF's policy stances at home and convincing us all of a better way. How has that worked out?

Syriza's Greece- A disaster, splits and frangmentation and no economic or social progress. 18% unemployed, highest youth unemployment in Europe. They failed to tackle the pensions issue which was huge for the ageing Greek population. It did not 'take care of itself, as MLM has suggested might happen here. The SF explanation- its all the EU's fault (despite the 360bn in aid) :confused:

Maduro in Venezuala- A tragedy of our time that gets little attention now. GDP per capita dropped 22.5%, widespread hunger and hyperinflation. Plus the highest crime and murder rate in the world. Yet SF send a delegation in support. Their explanation of the Maduro's catastrophic reign- it's all Donald Trumps fault. :confused:

Don't judge by the rhetoric or the will of the deed. Judge by the outcome. On this metric, SF have some very dodgy ideas on how to run a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The frustration with FG is understandable, but one thing that has me puzzled is how a seemingly large proportion of the Irish electorate still think that SF will offer any solutions at all.

that doesnt surprise me, we know exactly what we get with FFG! what surprises me is, that FF will likely win the most seats, this is madness!!!

In recent years they have notably championed 2 foreign governments in particular- Syriza in Greece and Maduro in Venezuala (whose inauguration was attended by Conor Murphy). The notion here seemed to be that these 2 radical movements would show how it could be done, vindicating SF's policy stances at home and convincing us all of a better way. How has that worked out?

Syriza's Greece- A disaster, splits and frangmentation and no economic or social progress. 18% unemployed, highest youth unemployment in Europe. They failed to tackle the pensions issue which was huge for the ageing Greek population. It did not 'take care of itself, as MLM has suggested might happen here. The SF explanation- its all the EU's fault (despite the 360bn in aid) :confused:

Maduro in Venezuala- A tragedy of our time that gets little attention now. GDP per capita dropped 22.5%, widespread hunger and hyperinflation. Plus the highest crime and murder rate in the world. Yet SF send a delegation in support. Their explanation of the Maduro's catastrophic reign- it's all Donald Trumps fault. :confused:

Don't judge by the rhetoric or the will of the deed. Judge by the outcome. On this metric, SF have some very dodgy ideas on how to run a state.

Just a question but when do you envisage SF getting a majority to enact all of their policies? Plus do you expect the EU to sit ideally by if that actually happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

If you are Irish you have a lot to thank Syrizia for.
    The Greeks didn't have cowards like we had going into negotiations and the Greeks actually hammered out a good deal for their interest rate than the criminally punitive interest rate our crowd of cretins wer ealready letting them charge us.
    We got our interest rate reduced because the Greeks had someone fighting for their people and many have come out since on the other side of these negotiations and said there was better deals for the Irish but they didn't ask for them.

Advertisement