Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What program was it? Have to listen to it on Podcast/playback.

Always find it hilarious when somebody who was once a member of a party with an armed and murderous paramilitary wing while it had an armed and murderous paramilitary wing gets all sniffy about people willing to give a chance to another party that kinda sorta still has an armed and murderous paramilitary wing.

Of course, as a squeaky clean peaceful constitutionalist I can look down with contempt on both.

Ivan Yates. Michael Martin on shortly, I wonder will he mention it. It was bizarre stuff.
    Yates interrupted him at one point to tell him the text machine was glowing hot calling him a dinosaur and he effortlessly segued into a rant about a song in the film Caberet and Tiocaigh ár Lá. :) Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

As for the OP: Sinn Fein couldn't run a party in a brothel, even if somebody else was paying for it.

One of the funniest wall slogans I saw in the north a while back was "Ireland says No to Tory cuts!" which just about sums them up really. They like to think they can spend what they want on who they want but they rely on other people to stump up the cash. If they had to craft the policies to generate that wealth in the first case, they wouldn't have a clue.

Running a country takes more cash than can be filched from the Northern Bank.

One news clip which should cause Shinners to cringe (but probably didn't) was the one a few years back when two proletarian heroes of the revolution, Adams and McGuinness, had to go to London to plead with the then government not to implement the cuts that were plannedin the NI budget. The sight of these two kneeling prostrate before an Old Etonian prime minister (Cameron) and figuratively at least, unzipping his fly, was telling.

Wouldn't be able to do that from Leinster House cabinet office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

Ivan Yates. Michael Martin on shortly, I wonder will he mention it. It was bizarre stuff.
    Yates interrupted him at one point to tell him the text machine was glowing hot calling him a dinosaur and he effortlessly segued into a rant about a song in the film Caberet and Tiocaigh ár Lá. :) Brilliant!

That's when I had to go out of my workshop and change my pants as they were wet from p!ssing myself laughing. Was like a ingenious comedy skit or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Whereas we took a massive loan out, have generational debt and learned nothing. Our crises have been getting worse.

Crises? Full employment isn't exactly a crisis is it? The UN rated Ireland as the fourth best country in the world for living conditions very recently. The average Joe/Jane in Ireland is in a far better position than your average Stelios/Konstantina in Greece.

I think you've lost perspective here. Ireland may not be perfect and the country has social problems but to look to Greece as an example of what to do in an economic crisis is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Harris, Michael McDowell and Mairead McGuinness have all invoked the Nazi's today. :)

Any sign of Kevin Myers?

Jebus,they are rolling them all ou todayt in a last gasp cut at SFs poll rise before the black out.

Its incredible the onslaught on SF throughout the whole of the Irish media in the last few days and its a disgrace that the media in Ireland can wilfully try and subvert democracy so blatantly,we have no press,just FF/FG cheerleaders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

almostover wrote: »
    Crises? Full employment isn't exactly a crisis is it? The UN rated Ireland as the fourth best country in the world for living conditions very recently. The average Joe/Jane in Ireland is in a far better position than your average Stelios/Konstantina in Greece.

I think you've lost perspective here. Ireland may not be perfect and the country has social problems but to look to Greece as an example of what to do in an economic crisis is a bit much.

TBH, I don't know where you get off commenting if you're unaware of the crises.

It has record breaking crises. But you seem to be taking a leaf out of Leo's 'it's worse elsewhere' book. And sure as long as you're grand, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

buried wrote: »
    Eoghan Harris had a total freak attack on newstalk. Was hilarious to listen to it

Tbh even people who don't like SF have little time for Harris's over-the-top obsessional hate for Irish nationalism and republicanism.

I didn't hear his rant but I'd say it will benefit SF if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

pc7 wrote: »
    Ivan Yates, he just let him go on and on, it was nuts. Might give SF my number 2 preference just to wind up loons like him!

If we had a proper media, other news channels would report it as "Former Fine Gael minister Ivan Yates today interviewed......"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Tbh even people who don't like SF have little time for Harris's over-the-top obsessional hate for Irish nationalism and republicanism.

I didn't hear his rant but I'd say it will benefit SF if anything.
    He was in SF once upon a time, long ago. Been at this lark since the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

One of the funniest wall slogans I saw in the north a while back was "Ireland says No to Tory cuts!" which just about sums them up really. They like to think they can spend what they want on who they want but they rely on other people to stump up the cash. If they had to craft the policies to generate that wealth in the first case, they wouldn't have a clue.

this bit in particular below, what do you think FFG and in particular FG recently have been doing, thieveing from the working poor, and the middle and higher earners here are paying way more than their fair share and giving it to the likes of those who would attack them with graffiti on the wall and who cant spell, despite the fact giving them a free education (dont come back with having parents having to contributre some pittance, not interested)....
    They like to think they can spend what they want on who they want but they rely on other people to stump up the cash.

If they want a proper system, then link what you pay in, to what you get out. If not and they wont, the place is a banana republic. Forget any welfare increases and get rid of the xmas bonus, for unemployed at least!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    this bit in particular below, what do you think FFG and in particular FG recently have been doing, thieveing from the working poor, and the middle and higher earners here are paying way more than their fair share and giving it to the likes of those who would attack them with graffiti on the wall and who cant spell, despite the fact giving them a free education (dont come back with having parents having to contributre some pittance, not interested)....

If they want a proper system, then link what you pay in, to what you get out. If not and they wont, the place is a banana republic. Forget any welfare increases and get rid of the xmas bonus, for unemployed at least!

The country would collapse without welfare. And cutting unless warranted will do damage.
    Workers unable to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

tipptom wrote: »
    Any sign of Kevin Myers?

Jebus,they are rolling them all ou todayt in a last gasp cut at SFs poll rise before the black out.

Its incredible the onslaught on SF throughout the whole of the Irish media in the last few days ......

And rightfully so.

There is no way Sinn Fein can be let anywhere near government for all the reasons discussed in the last few weeks. They are far too dangerous & subversive even to be in a coalition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

And rightfully so.

There is no way Sinn Fein can be let anywhere near government for all the reasons discussed in the last few weeks. They are far too dangerous & subversive even to be in a coalition.

But FF can?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In fairness to all those running they must be bollixed at this stage and sick of canvassing. Looking at them all on 6 one news and having to smile, shake hands and talk rubbish. Big glass of wine come Saturday night.

In fairness to all those running they must be bollixed at this stage and sick of canvassing. Looking at them all on 6 one news and having to smile, shake hands and talk rubbish. Big glass of wine come Saturday night.

Its ok. They're not doing it out of charity.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Its ok. They're not doing it out of charity.

No money would pay me to do that job, majority won’t get elected or their expenses back if they aren’t in a party.

No money would pay me to do that job, majority won’t get elected or their expenses back if they aren’t in a party.

The only ones i feel symapthy for are SF. Some serious slurs and character insults from a certain paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The only ones i feel symapthy for are SF. Some serious slurs and character insults from a certain paper.

Sue ?

And rightfully so.

So you are happy to live in a country that does not have a free and fair press and will go to any lengths to subvert democracy for FF/FG?

Do you know that this is why there has been such a spike in the polls for SF in this election because people realise that the media are trying to stop them from voting for one party?

What went on in the last few days and particulary today is a dark stain on the media of this country and relegates us to Russian or South America proportions when the press try to rig the game with their enormous power.

The media are the "dangerous and subversive" ones in this election to a bigger extent than the last few elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

tipptom wrote: »
    So you are happy to live in a country that does not have a free and fair press and will go to any lengths to subvert democracy for FF/FG?

Do you know that this is why there has been such a spike in the polls for SF in this election because people realise that the media are trying to stop them from voting for one party?

What went on in the last few days and particulary today is a dark stain on the media of this country and relegates us to Russian or South America proportions when the press try to rig the game with their enormous power.

The media are the "dangerous and subversive" ones in this election to a bigger extent than the last few elections.
    Tbf it also misses the point. SF voters are interested in this decade and their future.

Older voters may still care about the troubles but Ireland in general has moved on. There are current problems that need adressing and thats what SF voters care about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The country would collapse without welfare. And cutting unless warranted will do damage.
    Workers unable to function.

What's your point there?

I thought Doherty went well on the last word tonight against ODonoghue and McGrath.

This is what people should listen to and not the distractionary tactics of the blue shirt FG propaganda machine the indo.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What's your point there?

Is english not your first language? Where are you confused Morty?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Edgware wrote: »
    GRASPING AT STRAWS 😀😀

Not a bit, you’re misreading my intent though, I don’t want that shower anywhere near power but I’m not hiding my head in the sand either, treating their fan base and even worse, the average voter who’s leaning their way with the contempt seen here a is playing right into their hands.

It’s very clear there’s a massive swing their way and also that the main parties have utterly jobbed themselves and yet the arrogance is staggering.
    It’s not so much what SF have done right but how badly the others have done.

Remember, perception is reality, they’re winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I find it hilarious people think the media are against one side and for FG.

Like do they not watch prime time exposong FG councillors taking bribes?

The Maria Bailey story which had headlines for months every day.

The constant homeless stories by all papers every day.

Like how do people think the media are pro FG???

Every day there is stores slating the government, every single day.

Yet SF come out looking like victims because of one story??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Xwebstar

I'd vote for Sinn Fein

And if I did something wrong I'd be the first person to own up and take a kneecapping

Kinda sums it up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

All we are hearing on here and in MSM Sf=IRA Sf=IRA Sf=IRA Sf=IRA

Ok, but this coming Saturday the 8th families will still be given notice by landlords and be unable to seek alternative accommodation. Motorists and businesses will still be gouged by insurance companies, they’ll be priced off the road or put out of business.

The HSE emergency departments will still be overcrowded and a health hazard. If Trump described a London hospital like a war zone, what would he say about ours? More and more people added to the waiting lists, more GP’s retiring it just gets better and better.

Our traffic warden police service. We’ll still have thugs breaking into elderly people’s home and the gardai unable to respond because the limited number of poverty spec Hyundai’s are too doing check points.

Fianna Fáil bankrupted the country. Fine Gael sold us out to vulture funds and landlords putting home ownership out of the reach for the middle class. They then ruled us for 4 years together and it has gotten worse.

Is it Sinn Féin’s fault I spent 75 minutes (11:15) waiting for an appointment with a consultant the other day that was meant to take place at 10am? If admitted these **** in the HSE would charge my insurance company €800 a day for a trolley. Unless they offer you a private room, say no to signing their waiver form.

Is it Sinn Féin’s fault that on the way to this hospital there was a young girl wrapped up in a sleeping bag on the bus? Is it their fault that the female driver had to pull over at one of the stops and walk upstairs to warn intoxicated youths that she’d call the gardai if they didn’t cut out the ASB aboard the bus?

Is it Sinn Féin’s fault that there’s men and women approaching 40 and still living at home with no prospects of ever owning their own place?

I suppose it’s their fault too that the NCH will cost 3 x times more than agreed when selecting the winning bidder of the tender.

Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil are fit to run this country?

Never said pro FG, however sticking to one party so much is bias. FG are in government and have issues of their own. The difference is, one makes policy here and the other is getting four articles on the same topic on page one of the indo for example.

That's all stuff that goes on in between elections for the media.
    The past few days since the last poll has been to smear one party and let FG/FF talk about SF instead of having to defend their own policys and past records.

The corpses are only dragged out to be used by the media at election time,is that not very obvious to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭boetstark

Yurt! wrote: »
    Their core vote now extends to university educated young people that cant access affordable housing. FG have gifted them an entirely new voter base. Eoin O'Broin's housing policy actually isn't all that bad when you dig into it. It's not a free-house for all the chizzlers setup - it's more or less the Vienna housing model tweaked to an Irish context. How that's worse than Eoghan Murphy's 'the morket will sort it out, yaw' policy, I'm not sure.

As to whether they can run a country, well, FG and FF's governance has been various shades of sh*t, so let's find out.
    University graduates that have an inflated option of their intelligence and value. Get off their lazy entitled assets and work to earn sufficient money to afford a property.
    I moved here in 2001 and had difficulty affording a house. Three choices, get a better paid job, get a second job or leave. Nobody gave me stuff for less than market price.
    SF party for the people that want everything but pay for nothing.

Advertisement