Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m voting SF for the first time tomorrow.
    Mostly because I firmly believe that voters get the government they deserve.
    And I firmly believe that Irish people deserve to have SF in government for at least 3 budgets.
    One of the €100000 houses they will build for €65000 per house?I hope my nephew his girlfriend and their 2 children get one
    The free 3rd level education that all can have totally free? What a fab idea?
    No USC for workers earning less then €30000? Good news for hubby and I!
    LPT totally gone? More good news!
    12 months maternity benefit at €305 per week, followed by child care reduced by €500 per month per child? Happy days!
    And on and on...
    Louise O’Reilly Minister for Health? Sure, she’ll show them all how it SHOULD be done!!
    Votail SF!

I’m divorcing the wife and look out for new young model that 305 maternity benefit looks attractive !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

LOts of bickering here , but both v sides make very valid pints. This isn’t black and white!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

maccored wrote: »
    i think - as long as they arent junior, esp[ecially to FF or FG - that they might get it right. Im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Things cant go on like they are - though really, its going to be FFs election so they will (or get worse). Thats how stupid we are - so afraid to consider change we'll welcome back a party that ripped us all off blatently.

fair enough, we'll agree to disagree. i hope they don't disappoint you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You need to read the thing and make your own mind up on that.

There is a risk with SF - but theres a certainty that things wont change with FG and FF. You cant pretend that our 'full employment' - where many people are on the verge of poverty working on minimum wage - a disasterous health system, no housing and a government who spend billions ona hospital ... you cant pretend thats good. it isnt.
    ...and this will all be resolved by a SF government in what timeframe?

And I firmly believe that Irish people deserve to have SF in government for at least 3 budgets.
    One of the €100000 houses they will build for €65000 per house?I hope my nephew his girlfriend and their 2 children get one
    12 months maternity benefit at €305 per week, followed by child care reduced by €500 per month per child? Happy days!
    And on and on...
    Louise O’Reilly Minister for Health? Sure, she’ll show them all how it SHOULD be done!!
    Votail SF!
    Yaay three cheers for the SF magic money tree :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Every little helps ;)

Your welcome! You deserve to enjoy SF being in government after all this time. Being a supporter of the party permanently in opposition is very safe because you never have to defend anything they actually do, but it’s also very frustrating when you have absolute faith and belief that they could deliver the country of your dreams if only they could get the chance.
    Here’s hoping that you get to say “I told you so” real soon to all the naysayers you’ve been arguing with for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and this will all be resolved by a SF government in what timeframe?

Wait till yea see the magical ff money tree, cheap credit everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Don't forget how FG allowed insurance companies to screw drivers and put small medium enterprises out of business when ye cast your votes tomorrow.

Don't forget how FG allowed insurance companies to screw drivers and put small medium enterprises out of business when ye cast your votes tomorrow.

People will be disappointed with another confidence and supply then

...and how could FG, FF, SF or any other party stop insurance companies from making profits in a manner that will stand up to any legal scrutiny? Genuine question.

• Advertisement

But but but but but....something something €13bn owed in taxes by...mmm...can’t remember...
    And oh...yeah... tax the banks!!!!
    And....Denis O’Brien!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

How much is the national children's hospital gonna cost Finnerbot?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

i think - as long as they arent junior, esp[ecially to FF or FG - that they might get it right. Im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Things cant go on like they are - though really, its going to be FFs election so they will (or get worse). Thats how stupid we are - so afraid to consider change we'll welcome back a party that ripped us all off blatently.

How can they be anything except a junior partner? Do you really think they can get more seats than both FF and FG?

I’m divorcing the wife and look out for new young model that 305 maternity benefit looks attractive !

And you and your new woman and the new babies will be living in one of the 100,000 new houses built in the next 5 years for 65000 living it up on the 305 maternity benefit and the pension of 268 your going to get at 65!!! Then when the maternity benefit is up she can go to college for free while you mind the babies!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭threeball

One of the biggest problems that will occur if SF get in to government down here will be their pigheaded insistence on a premature border poll and reunification. Brexit has brought the possibility of a united Ireland to the fore but this shower of spoofers will push it back to levels of pre 98. There's no way the unionists will take well to an SF government in the south.

Add this to a potential economic disaster in the waiting and I'd nearly prefer to see FF get in even though they're as big a shower of chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

smurgen wrote: »
    How much is the national children's hospital gonna cost Finnerbot?

Don't worry about that if SF get their way. Mary Lou is going to pull construction workers off it and other commercial projects to build houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

And you and your new woman and the new babies will be living in one of the 100,000 new houses built in the next 5 years for 65000 living it up on the 305 maternity benefit and the pension of 268 your going to get at 65!!! Then when the maternity benefit is up she can go to college for free while you mind the babies!!!!!!!!

Thk god I didn’t get the snip ! Happy days

threeball wrote:
    One of the biggest problems that will occur if SF get in to government down here will be their pigheaded insistence on a premature border poll and reunification. Brexit has brought the possibility of a united Ireland to the fore but this shower of spoofers will push it back to levels of pre 98. There's no way the unionists will take well to an SF government in the south.

SF aren't going into government

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

threeball wrote: »

Add this to a potential economic disaster in the waiting and I'd nearly prefer to see FF get in even though they're as big a shower of chancers.

You'll do yourself harm with all that fear inside you.

Unionists know a border poll is coming whether SF are in government or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

full employment in low paid jobs you mean? FG done great - thats why theres no houses, a collapsing health system, people cant afford to save etc. Great job alright

No, a mix of jobs.

Its a lazy claim to say 'no houses, crap jobs, collapsing' health.' Yes there are those problems in certain cases, but a bit of research into the average salary in the State, the reduction in job seekers and family income supplement being paid out would show you the reality.

The fact is, in my income cohort and social class, if you'll pardon the expression, we're doing decently thanks, are on the property ladder and have good health cover. There must be 1 to 1.5 million of us, we're more likely to vote in the first place and we certainly won't be voting SF.

Now you might be thinking, who does that selfish w@nker think he is going on like that, but the >€40,000 in tax PRSI and USC my house paid to the State last year tells me I'm not interested in what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

And on and on...
    Votail SF!

You can vote whatever way you want.....that's you right. But SF won't be in govt.

FG and FF won't touch them. And with the 25/30 seat SF get they won't put a government together.

And for what it's worth I doubt any govt will build 100000 houses in 5 years .....not enough tradesmen's around and too much red tape in this country......objections to everything....we can't build road/houses/infrastructure.....non stop An Bord Pleanala delays and objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

You'll do yourself harm with all that fear inside you.

Unionists know a border poll is coming whether SF are in government or not.

Middle class Nationalists will sink any border poll
    45:55 at best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Don't worry about that if SF get their way. Mary Lou is going to pull construction workers of it and other commercial projects to build houses.

I am worrying tho.it was only meant to be 700 mil. We're in for 1.7 billion already.BAM will give that back to us right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, a mix of jobs.

Its a lazy claim to say 'no houses, crap jobs, collapsing' health.' Yes there are those problems in certain cases, but a bit of research into the average salary in the State, the reduction in job seekers and family income supplement being paid out would show you the reality.

The fact is, in my income cohort and social class, if you'll pardon the expression, we're doing decently thanks, are on the property ladder and have good health cover. There must be 1 to 1.5 million of us, we're more likely to vote in the first place and we certainly won't be voting SF.

Now you might be thinking, who does that selfish w@nker think he is going on like that, but the >€40,000 in tax PRSI and USC my house paid to the State last year tells me I'm not interested in what you think.

Just curious roughly what is your income cohort? As according to Leo 47k is the average wage even though median wage is a truer metric but quite less than the average and far more representative of the population.

smurgen wrote:
    I am worrying tho.it was only meant to be 700 mil. We're in for 1.7 billion already.BAM will give that back to us right?

Bam are lapping it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

smurgen wrote: »

The day after it opens, nobody will remember the cost. A wonderful project

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The day after it opens, nobody will remember the cost. A wonderful project

Bertie and 'is bowl.

All over social media I see people talking about voting for change. It’s still going to be FF or FG as the main party in government though. What am I missing?

All over social media I see people talking about voting for change. It’s still going to be FF or FG as the main party in government though. What am I missing?

Nothing, you're spot on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's going to be FF and an alphabet soup of others. FG will be on the opposition benches and we will be back voting in 6 to 12 months. Then I suspect you will see real change.

Advertisement