Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's going to be FF and an alphabet soup of others. FG will be on the opposition benches and we will be back voting in 6 to 12 months. Then I suspect you will see real change.

Think we re stuck with FFG for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Bertie and 'is bowl.

And how is Casement Park coming along? 10 years and the thistles still growing

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And how is Casement Park coming along? 10 years and the thistles still growing

What has the GAA not being able to satisfy planning got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

All over social media I see people talking about voting for change. It’s still going to be FF or FG as the main party in government though. What am I missing?

Nothing. Unfortunately lots of people are bad at maths.......SF will get 25-30 seats that's a long way short of the 81 needed to get a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

...and this will all be resolved by a SF government in what timeframe?

what am I? A fortune teller? Can you tell me will anyone resolve it and in what timeframe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

smurgen wrote: »
    I am worrying tho.it was only meant to be 700 mil. We're in for 1.7 billion already.BAM will give that back to us right?

Obviously not. It's definitely going to be a reminder to FG of one of the reasons they're not in government anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

How can they be anything except a junior partner? Do you really think they can get more seats than both FF and FG?

no - im hoping for a left miracle. get enough seats SF, PDs, Greens, Labour etc - which wont happen, which is why to me this will be a good election result if they build on the seats. it'll be better if FG and FF go in together because the election after that would surely be SFs

Nothing. Unfortunately lots of people are bad at maths.......SF will get 25-30 seats that's a long way short of the 81 needed to get a majority.

Yes, but the shock to the 'system' will be what would have happened had they run the full suite of candidates and gotten that share of the vote.

Politics will have gotten a fair old shake up here and no harm.

FFG will block this up for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

What has the GAA not being able to satisfy planning got to do with it?

Well, you did take it over from SportNI 8 years ago to ensure completion by 2016. Still no delivery.
    If ye can’t get a vanity project stadium built in West Belfast, it’s pretty poor tbh

• Advertisement

All over social media I see people talking about voting for change. It’s still going to be FF or FG as the main party in government though. What am I missing?

I think it should be taken as a sign that whoever makes up the next government needs to invest more money in education.
    There are plenty of people voting who really don't have an iota about how the electoral system works and seem to think it's like some sort of share and like competition on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yes, but the shock to the 'system' will be what would have happened had they run the full suite of candidates and gotten that share of the vote.

The more things change the more they stay the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

The newly qualified teacher salary should be on par with other teachers......or the education system will be the next major crisis.

FG came into power in bad times but this could have been remedied over the last couple of years....

I think you'll find that the teacher's unions caused that scenario. When the expenditure on teacher's salaries had to be reduced the more established teachers voted to cut the pay of any future new entrants to teaching rather than take any pay cuts themselves.

Well, you did take it over from SportNI 8 years ago to ensure completion by 2016. Still no delivery.
    If ye can’t get a vanity project stadium built in West Belfast, it’s pretty poor tbh

Are you sure you know what is going on with Casement? It cannot get planning to allow it to be the stadium the GAA want. Local objections.

Who is 'You' meant to be? It's a GAA project that SF and other executive parties support. Not the other way around.

True. A wake up call to FFG.

maccored wrote: »
    no - im hoping for a left miracle. get enough seats SF, PDs, Greens, Labour etc - which wont happen, which is why to me this will be a good election result if they build on the seats. it'll be better if FG and FF go in together because the election after that would surely be SFs

I presume you mean SDs...PDs were more centre right. I don't know why anyone would wish for the kind of government you described with both FF and FG in opposition. FF and FG won't go into government together. It would be political suicide for them both and just enforce people's opinion that they are 2 branches of the same party. Just remember labour has more support in 2011 than SF have now and look at them now so wouldn't get your hopes up about SF support continuing to rise.

almostover wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the teacher's unions caused that scenario. When the expenditure on teacher's salaries had to be reduced the more established teachers voted to cut the pay of any future new entrants to teaching rather than take any pay cuts themselves.

True. But FG could have resolved it over the last couple of years. Now we're marching onto a major Education Crisis.

We haven't enough new teachers coming on stream......and FG won't be able to blame others. They've had 9 years to correct the situation.

Edgware wrote: »
    The more things change the more they stay the same

They've changed already.
    Look how the FGer's particualrly have lost their **** since the Shinners had the temerity to first bypass FG in the polls and then the whole field.
    They are turning on the each other and the electorate. Look to the disparaging comments here about fellow voters.
    FG arrogance flushed out into the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

2011 wrote: »
    They don’t understand economics. Any time Mary is questioned on the affordability of SF proposals she fails to answer it sufficiently. I would love to get a state pension at 65 but the money simply isn’t there. I agree with her proposal to increase vacant property tax and I like their approach to the insurance crises. I also understand people’s frustration at the current housing / rent situation but SF would run the country into the ground.

I always laugh when I hear this Sinn Féin don't understand economics rubbish, in particular when the only parties who have actually crashed an economy in the last 30 years are Fianna Fáil, and arguably Fine Gael given the problems with overspending, health and housting the other have reassembled an economy that suits a very select few. If the current status quo's understanding of economics is what we have now, I don't want it.

Asside from the fact that the economic understanding for almost all parties comes from either civil servants in the department of finance, planners and actual economists advising ministers, this argument holds little to no weight.

If anything is going to crash this economy again, it will be a downturn in the global economy, and certainly not Sinn Féin. Fine Gael have been warned about diversifying our ecnomy for years now, and they've done absolutely nothing about it. If a recission is looming and we get hit hard, regardless of who is in power next, it will be their fault.

True. But FG could have resolved it over the last couple of years. Now we're marching onto a major Education Crisis.

We haven't enough new teachers coming on stream......and FG won't be able to blame others. They've had 9 years to correct the situation.

Teacher's are doing just fine: A recent survey from the Higher Education Authority found that education graduates have the highest starting salary of any group of graduates, earning €38,701 within nine months of graduation. They also had the best employment prospects of any group of undergraduates, with 81 per cent in full-time employment and 11 per cent in part-time employment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/why-teaching-teachers-have-highest-starting-salary-1.3887755%3fmode=amp

It's a secure job for life with a goverment pension. I respect the work our teachers do, had many excellent teachers in my time. But when it's so difficult to remove useless teachers from their posts, and I had some of these too (albeit rarely), I think their pay and conditions are quite fair.

I know of many teachers who have taken career breaks to go earn big money in the middle east for a few years and they are guaranteed to return to their positions afterwards. Not many jobs can offer that kind of opportunity. That practice isn't very fair on new graduates either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

None of the parties seem to understand economics.

None of the parties seem to understand economics.

Does anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

The civil service run the country. Helped immersurably by European money and directives. Nobody else. Politicians and political parties kowtow to the civil service. If a party wants to change policy either drastically or subtly , as soon as you can say scissors the kybosh is put on it if it doesn't suit the civil service or public service. Yes things can be changed but only with Max effort and very slowly...maybe over two terms.
    So putting S Fein into gov. Wouldn't matter a s**t. And anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    SF aren't going into government

It looks as if they will though. Isn’t that great?

Teacher's are doing just fine: A recent survey from the Higher Education Authority found that education graduates have the highest starting salary of any group of graduates, earning €38,701 within nine months of graduation. They also had the best employment prospects of any group of undergraduates, with 81 per cent in full-time employment and 11 per cent in part-time employment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/why-teaching-teachers-have-highest-starting-salary-1.3887755%3fmode=amp

It's a secure job for life with a goverment pension. I respect the work our teachers do, had many excellent teachers in my time. But when it's so difficult to remove useless teachers from their posts, and I had some of these too (albeit rarely), I think their pay and conditions are quite fair.

I know of many teachers who have taken career breaks to go earn big money in the middle east for a few years and they are guaranteed to return to their positions afterwards. Not many jobs can offer that kind of opportunity. That practice isn't very fair on new graduates either.

Teachers that qualified pre 2011 are doing just fine. The rest not so much.

Why is there strikes? Why are people going abroad? Why are people turning to SF?

By the way.....Leo says the average industrial wage here is 47k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What about the other 8 % Joe? It's a disgrace

Teachers that qualified pre 2011 are doing just fine. The rest not so much.

Why is there strikes? Why are people going abroad? Why are people turning to SF?

By the way.....Leo says the average industrial wage here is 47k.

€38k is a good bit more than anyone in my line of work would be earning after their first 9 months post graduation. Work in manufacturing engineering.

Just because the teachers who graduated before 2011 got paid better doesn't make that scenario sustainable with respect to the public finances. To me it appears as if newly qualified teachers are compensated very well even if graduated post 2011. Benchmarking was great when it made salaries in the public sector rise but their was no appetite for benchmarking when salaries in the private sector took a tumble.

Nurses on the other hand are getting a raw deal. That I will admit. There is a situation that needs fixing. But their unions are not as powerful as the teachers! And their unions don't hold as much political sway. Plenty of former teachers in our Dail but no former nurses to my knowledge.

What percentage of teachers that qualified post 2011 have a full time permanent teaching post?

Secure job for life my ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

Look to the disparaging comments here about fellow voters.

Plenty of idiots write disparaging comments about their fellow electorate, sheeple for example, voters being conned, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Idbatterim wrote: »
    has anything been achieved in this country other than nine years of talk? seriously WTF! all they had to do, to retain power, was make some progress! ITs absolutely mind blowing!

It's strange how people forget how bad things were nine years ago. To say no progress had been made.

When we had 14% unemployment and a ghost estate problem instead of a housing crisis. Perhaps we need a government that will renew emigration as the option that the people need. After all, emigrants can't vote against you of they're not here to vote.

Advertisement