Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Edgware wrote: »
    What about the other 8 % Joe? It's a disgrace

Doing a teaching degrees doesnt automatically entitle a person to employment. If 500 people do a teaching degree and there is need for only 450 teachers then a scenario arises where not all graduated teachers get employed. 92% employment in the first 9 months of graduation seems like an excellent success ratio anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

By the way.....Leo says the average industrial wage here is 47k.

He did not.

He said average earnings of full time workers are 47k.

Which is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

almostover wrote: »
    Doing a teaching degrees doesnt automatically entitle a person to employment. If 500 people do a teaching degree and there is need for only 450 teachers then a scenario arises where not all graduated teachers get employed. 92% employment in the first 9 months of graduation seems like an excellent success ratio anyway!

92% in full time employment or people on 8 hour contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Benchmarking was great when it made salaries in the public sector rise but their was no appetite for benchmarking when salaries in the private sector took a tumble.

Salaries did not decline hugely in the private sector, nowhere near as much as in the public sector. Incomes declined for some people because of a lack of demand for some jobs, but teaching did not decline in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Geuze wrote: »
    He did not.

He said average earnings of full time workers are 47k.

Which is correct.

Median wages is more accurate, wonder why he didn't use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Who knew that demography denial was a thing?

"Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has said that “the demographics will look after themselves” and People Before Profit TD Bríd Smith dismissed the “pensions timebomb” as “a myth”."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/election-fact-check-is-the-pensions-timebomb-a-myth-1.4154136

The irony is that the one thing demographics will definitely look after is the thing SF insist on rushing...a United Ireland.

A demographer in the 1920's could probably have predicted that the nationalist population would be close to a majority by the 2020's. Has all the violence hurried anything up?

If SF do get into government please don't put them in charge of the CSO. Could get Orwellian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Don't the consultants pretty much run the country for FG? How much do FG outsource to PWC,KPMG, Deloitte and Accenture?

92% in full time employment or people on 8 hour contracts?

Read the quote again, 81% full time, 11% part time. No detail as to what part time means, I don't have it.

The point is that teachers are doing a vital service for the country and as a result are quite well paid. What baffles me is the striking and the yearning to go back to the halcyon days of the early 00's which proved to be unaffordable for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

One thing I thought about tonight.

No matter who gets into government, come Monday morning we all still have to get up and go to work.

Nothing will change come 7am Monday.

All this bluster when we all know the civil servants run the country.

Just a meaningless philosopical moment I had earlier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

smurgen wrote: »
    Don't the consultants pretty much run the country for FG? How much do FG outsource to PWC,KPMG, Deloitte and Accenture?
    The different departments certainly do, mostly for IT work, and yes it costs a fortune.

The thing is that they're easier to get rid of in the event of a down turn because they're just guns for hire.

• Advertisement

One thing I thought about tonight.

No matter who gets into government, come Monday morning we all still have to get up and go to work.

Nothing will change come 7am Monday.

All this bluster when we all know the civil servants run the country.

Just a meaningless philosopical moment I had earlier!!

Not really.we'll have to pay artificially inflated rents also and some of us will die waiting on trolleys.but yeah no change.

Salaries did not decline hugely in the private sector, nowhere near as much as in the public sector. Incomes declined for some people because of a lack of demand for some jobs, but teaching did not decline in demand.

Employment figures declined far more in the private sector though. When your salary goes down to social welfare levels then that is a hefty pay reduction. My own father lost his job in the private sector in 2008. My mother, a public servant, was never in danger of that happening. She may have experienced pay stagnation but her job security was never under threat.

Public servants cannot expect the same pay as private sector employees for the same work. The public sector employee enjoys job security that is unattainable to a private employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Read the quote again, 81% full time, 11% part time. No detail as to what part time means, I don't have it.

The point is that teachers are doing a vital service for the country and as a result are quite well paid. What baffles me is the striking and the yearning to go back to the halcyon days of the early 00's which proved to be unaffordable for the country.

You're missing the point completely. Yes most teachers are fine. But those post 2011 are on **** contracts, paid less than co-workers for same job, not paid at all for large portion of the year as they're not permanent......

There should have been changed made by FG to even things up.

Tell me if things are so good for teachers as you keep saying......then why is there a shortage of teachers.....why less doing masters now.....why the strikes???????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not really.we'll have to pay artificially inflated rents also and some of us will die waiting on trolleys.but yeah no change.

You'll be paying artificially high rent and will die waiting on a trolley on Monday!

Come on Smurgen, it's the last night let's just stop with the bickering:)

You'll be paying artificially high rent and will die waiting on a trolley on Monday!

Come on Smurgen, it's the last night let's just stop with the bickering:)

They'll probably be about 560ish people on hospital trolleys come Monday.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/568-patients-waiting-for-beds-in-irish-hospitals-979883.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They'll probably be about 560ish people on hospital trolleys come Monday.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/568-patients-waiting-for-beds-in-irish-hospitals-979883.html
    what are SF going to do about people on trolleys?

more money for the HSE? the more money we spend, the worse things seem to get.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/state-among-highest-spenders-on-health-per-person-in-oecd-1.3547256

are SF going to take on the unions?

what are SF going to do about people on trolleys?

more money for the HSE? the more money we spend, the worse things seem to get.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/state-among-highest-spenders-on-health-per-person-in-oecd-1.3547256

are SF going to take on the unions?

Halfway down your article bro;

"In terms of health spending as a percentage of GDP (gross domestic product), Ireland, in 27th place, was ranked amongst the lowest spenders last year, with 7.1 per cent of GDP spent on health"

And if BAM didn't run so many rings around FG for the NCH we could have multiple more clinics)hospitals open.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Having been one of thosw consultants in the past, my firm was taken on by multiple departments because we had skills that none of their staff had. We obviously charged appropriately for our services. Rarely would we meet the politicians (nor did we want to).
    That skills shortage won't change with a new party in government!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How much is the national children's hospital gonna cost Finnerbot?

Are Sinn Fein going to cancel the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Halfway down your article bro;

"In terms of health spending as a percentage of GDP (gross domestic product), Ireland, in 27th place, was ranked amongst the lowest spenders last year, with 7.1 per cent of GDP spent on health"

Isn't our gdp skewed by multinationals and therefore misleading?

• Advertisement

Are Sinn Fein going to cancel the hospital?

Just pointing out massive massive levels of governance failures of FG hombré for balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think you'll find that the teacher's unions caused that scenario. When the expenditure on teacher's salaries had to be reduced the more established teachers voted to cut the pay of any future new entrants to teaching rather than take any pay cuts themselves.

The strange thing I think about teachers is that they complain about pay equality. I.e. the younger teachers are getting paid less than their earlier compatriots for doing the same job.

But turn that question around and it becomes, what benefit do you get from having teachers in their 50s teaching Vs in their 20s.

When is the last time anyone has demanded that their kids be taught by a teacher who is in their 50s Vs 20s. So why should an older teacher get paid more and not have their pay cut in favour of a younger teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Who needs teachers anyway?
    All they do is teach that education stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

84182466_1266437560207042_8719652268015616000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=_sbA9uEryOUAX-i0yXj&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=7ee463f55a89727c2a9e6d6dd6e5edd9&oe=5ED80FDE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yaay three cheers for the SF magic money tree :rolleyes:

They grew it from a branch off the NCH money tree. Same species as the Irish water tree, sitserv tree, reillys clinics tree and low tax for vulture funds tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

splinter65 wrote: »
    Your welcome! You deserve to enjoy SF being in government after all this time. Being a supporter of the party permanently in opposition is very safe because you never have to defend anything they actually do, but it’s also very frustrating when you have absolute faith and belief that they could deliver the country of your dreams if only they could get the chance.
    Here’s hoping that you get to say “I told you so” real soon to all the naysayers you’ve been arguing with for years.

You sound upset.
    Hopefully FG will be permanently in opposition. You'll enjoy that. We all would.
    No absolute faith in any party. I dig the housing policy of a couple.
    Hey, if the country fares well we all win whatever the government. It's not about teams.
    We'll all benefit or lose out equally, unless its FG and we're middle to low income, then we're f***ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

84182466_1266437560207042_8719652268015616000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=_sbA9uEryOUAX-i0yXj&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=7ee463f55a89727c2a9e6d6dd6e5edd9&oe=5ED80FDE

It might have helped if the cards were Jokers and not Jacks.

The strange thing I think about teachers is that they complain about pay equality. I.e. the younger teachers are getting paid less than their earlier compatriots for doing the same job.

But turn that question around and it becomes, what benefit do you get from having teachers in their 50s teaching Vs in their 20s.

When is the last time anyone has demanded that their kids be taught by a teacher who is in their 50s Vs 20s. So why should an older teacher get paid more and not have their pay cut in favour of a younger teacher?

They're more experienced. In any job, salary increases with experience. What's your argument here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

It's going to be FF and an alphabet soup of others. FG will be on the opposition benches and we will be back voting in 6 to 12 months. Then I suspect you will see real change.

The phrase ‘ all is forgiven ‘ immediately comes to mind. It has finally dawned on ‘ME’ that I voted for change just for change sake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

You sound upset.
    Hopefully FG will be permanently in opposition. You'll enjoy that. We all would.
    No absolute faith in any party. I dig the housing policy of a couple.
    Hey, if the country fares well we all win whatever the government. It's not about teams.
    We'll all benefit or lose out equally, unless its FG and we're middle to low income, then we're f***ed.

I know the country is on its knees
    We should all emigrate
    Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Advertisement