Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If SF do get in will they sort out rte?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

maccored wrote: »
    no - im hoping for a left miracle. get enough seats SF, PDs, Greens, Labour etc - which wont happen, which is why to me this will be a good election result if they build on the seats. it'll be better if FG and FF go in together because the election after that would surely be SFs

What hope is there of the left combining to form a government anytime soon when the opposite happened in the last nine years. The media and others who have a certain agenda have been saying ‘ what have they done over the last nine years’ . And the opposition never detected that apparent ‘inaction’ and as a consequence might have readied themselves for the current election. There was no attempt by any of them , including SF , the cooperate in that direction. They spent the time with a lot of splitting , internal squabbles, etc. if they could not come together/ some basic cooperation under little or no pressure, then how are they going to come together under pressure in trying to form and run a government in a sustainable way. The word ‘wreck’ comes to mind

True. But FG could have resolved it over the last couple of years. Now we're marching onto a major Education Crisis.

We haven't enough new teachers coming on stream......and FG won't be able to blame others. They've had 9 years to correct the situation.

Of course it could have had as it had buckets of finance from entering gov in 2011 and to date. It just chose not to do so. !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Don't see SF doing as well as the polls suggest.
    Many tend to be younger who mightn't vote.
    Also, SF popular in many lower class areas where turnout tends to be lower.

I can see Leo and Co doing better than the drubbing predicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It’s fairly clear by most posts in here people have absolutely no idea about politics in ireland. Between idiotic posts about teachers to a full thread on how great a pair of thief’s from Kerry are

Let SF in, it will make f**k all difference. They will be as corrupt as the last crowd in and the Irish people will take it. All bluster and no substance.

If it was any other country in the World FG would have been run out of the government years ago but the people sat back and just watched, posted a few bits up here but carried on. Will be same with SF, they could ruin the country and people would sit back and do nothing

It doesn’t matter what policies any party comes out with because your average Irish person can’t even understand them, hence why SF came out with nearly none

• Advertisement

almostover wrote: »
    Read the quote again, 81% full time, 11% part time. No detail as to what part time means, I don't have it.

The point is that teachers are doing a vital service for the country and as a result are quite well paid. What baffles me is the striking and the yearning to go back to the halcyon days of the early 00's which proved to be unaffordable for the country.

So do bin men, train drivers doctors, drain clearing workers , etc, etc, etc.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I know the country is on its knees
    We should all emigrate
    Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Wait until RAY DARCY does . He is our TOTEM pole

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, sf will not be in government this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

84182466_1266437560207042_8719652268015616000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=_sbA9uEryOUAX-i0yXj&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=7ee463f55a89727c2a9e6d6dd6e5edd9&oe=5ED80FDE

I think people need to accept that we can have two centrist parties. Most people in this country are pragmatic and of political centre views, hence the reason two such parties are the biggest in the country. We have a whole slew of leftist parties yet its a problem that we have two centrist parties! The left is constantly splitting and merging, it's hardly surprising that people want the relative stability of FF or FG in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I think people need to accept that we can have two centrist parties. Most people in this country are pragmatic and of political centre views, hence the reason two such parties are the biggest in the country. We have a whole slew of leftist parties yet its a problem that we have two centrist parties! The left is constantly splitting and merging, it's hardly surprising that people want the relative stability of FF or FG in government.

Why should accept that fact? another world is possible. Look at Portugal at the moment. Centre-left government delivering on all fronts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Why should accept that fact? another world is possible. Look at Portugal at the moment. Centre-left government delivering on all fronts.

i do think its important that leftist, which includes myself, be realistic in what reality actually is, id imagine not everything is rosie in Portugal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I dont think it was a case of all these new Sinn Fein voters being won over by sinn Fein, but more a case of people simply had enough of the useless FF and FG, and are looking to prove a point.

I know quite a dew people who never voted SD who will be doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If SF do get in will they sort out rte?
    That sounds like you've got the wrong priorities.

I dont think it was a case of all these new Sinn Fein voters being won over by sinn Fein, but more a case of people simply had enough of the useless FF and FG, and are looking to prove a point.

I know quite a dew people who never voted SD who will be doing so.
    In their urge/rage to prove a point they'll be returning one of the two. That's not joined up thinking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A left-wing government that has, contrary to internet angryman theory, been very good for business - not even to mention the quite impressive progress on chronic social and livibility issues that were afflicting Portugal.

'NOT VALID! NOT VALID! The blue internet angryman front cry. 'Send me five links proving that you're not literally Pol Pot' they demand.

Yurt! wrote: »
    A left-wing government that has, contrary to internet angryman theory, been very good for business - not even to mention the quite impressive progress on chronic social and livibility issues that were afflicting Portugal.

'NOT VALID! NOT VALID! The blue internet angryman front cry. 'Send me five links proving that you're not literally Pol Pot' they demand.
    We live in a country which splits centre, a bit right of centre and a bit left of centre and some left stuff. We also have history to show us that abolishing taxes or gambling on taxes from one source is really poor economic management.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Accept what fact? That we have plenty of leftist parties with a combined decent vote share but despite their similarities they can't agree with each other for five minutes to offer a viable alternative government?

is_that_so wrote: »
    We live in a country which splits centre, a bit right of centre and a bit left of centre and some left stuff. We also have history to show us that abolishing taxes or gambling on taxes from one source is really poor economic management.

Not a bad summation of the vast majority of Irish people's voting habits and the position of most parties.

Which is why the catcalling of SF and others as 'literally Communists' needs to be confronted as the cheap claptrap it is. The Taoiseach and other senior FG cabinet members have been conducting a campaign that insults people's intelligence. They submitted their record in gov as 'the party of competence,' and people appear to be rejecting it. Then they start a rather silly 'reds under the bed' strategy and now they're getting pummeled most likely.

I'd also submit that Leo (as distinct from the rest of the party) is instincually further to the right economically than many true blues would like to admit. He's made FG 'the nasty party' and until he went for high-office, was a fairly open Tory-boy in his utterances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Accept what fact? That we have plenty of leftist parties with a combined decent vote share but despite their similarities they can't agree with each other for five minutes to offer a viable alternative government?

We also have two of the big mainstream party's who haven't a cigarette paper between them in policies and outlook, yet refuse to coalesce/merge for fear of someone else being the main opposition party.

Each election since 2011 their combined shared vote is eroding, it would be fair to assume that if the trend keeps up, one of the two will either find itself as the third biggest party in the state.

It's a bit rich going on about other party's and their combined share/similarities when for the last 100 years FFG have been playing footsie under the table with each other, despite pretending to hate each other.

In other news, I was down the pub last night for a pint after football, and low and behold there's only a local FG members party meeting on.

Honestly there was about twenty of them sat around two square tables, and with the exception a fella in his early 30s, one female in her mid 40s (I would guess) the rest were made up of men and women most definitely in the 70+ zone.

To be fair to them they had a bit of a spread on, which they gestured to us to dig in to (Chinese style buffet) which some of the lads gladly availed of.

But the polling data that anyone but FFG is the most popular party by all the age groups under 55 was definitely evident last night.

Exit polls tonight will be fun, hopefully there'll be lots of squirming by some tomorrow and Monday.

They had nine years, they funked it up. Time to give someone else a go, and if they funk up, and don't stick to their word, get someone else in who will.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which is why the catcalling of SF and others as 'literally Communists' needs to be confronted as the cheap claptrap it is.
    Where did someone call them that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Tell me has fine Gael or FF done anything to grow domestic businesses at all? Has any contingency work been done at all to diversify our labor market in case the multinationals go quiet again or do we all have to emigrate again when disaster strikes?

Leo compared them to East Germany and Venezuela and there's been plenty of stuff on boards over the last week since FG switched up to a McCarthyite attack strategy when they found out voters are deserting them en-masse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Presumptive of you to think I'm high and mighty and know nothing of Venezuela
    It's about Sinn Féins hypocrisy
    Why did they send 2 representatives to a tin pot corrupt quasi dictators inauguration and avoid more important Irish presidential events
    I'll tell you why
    It's because,behind it all they are communists and refuse in the face of abject poverty and corruption in Venezuela still that it's not the model we should follow

Their all things to all men manifesto with questionable figures,aimed at pulling the wool over sections of a disappointed electorate being a means to power
    The orgasm of getting there though might be fast depleted by the reality of how impossible their aims are

Have they adjusted their opinion on Venezuela yet?
    Attending Maduro's inauguration like..
    Such a fine example
    Anyone homeless there?
    Hows the Venezuelan health system?
    Living wage?
    Yep fine aspirational pedestal

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-f%C3%A9in-reveals-true-self-again-with-venezuela-infatuation-1.3768126

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

On the salary issue.....FG haven't done anything for people in childcare or teachers etc... These people do degrees and are well educated....they don't desire the inequality that's been present over last few years.

The newly qualified teacher salary should be on par with other teachers......or the education system will be the next major crisis.

FG came into power in bad times but this could have been remedied over the last couple of years....

That pay inequality is down to teachers in their fifties etc being paid too much

threeball wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems that will occur if SF get in to government down here will be their pigheaded insistence on a premature border poll and reunification. Brexit has brought the possibility of a united Ireland to the fore but this shower of spoofers will push it back to levels of pre 98. There's no way the unionists will take well to an SF government in the south.

Add this to a potential economic disaster in the waiting and I'd nearly prefer to see FF get in even though they're as big a shower of chancers.

That's the least important reason for not voting SF

We could vote for a party down here which claims loyalty to Britain and unionists still wouldn't like us anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Field east wrote: »
    What hope is there of the left combining to form a government anytime soon when the opposite happened in the last nine years. The media and others who have a certain agenda have been saying ‘ what have they done over the last nine years’ . And the opposition never detected that apparent ‘inaction’ and as a consequence might have readied themselves for the current election. There was no attempt by any of them , including SF , the cooperate in that direction. They spent the time with a lot of splitting , internal squabbles, etc. if they could not come together/ some basic cooperation under little or no pressure, then how are they going to come together under pressure in trying to form and run a government in a sustainable way. The word ‘wreck’ comes to mind

I think we all knew about the endless inaction. What I don’t think anyone expected , was for a huge amount of people in the last week or two to say “ enough” ! I mean ffg have been getting away with murder for decades , I’m not surprised nobody saw it coming as quick as they did. I mean , I couldn’t believe how they were getting away with it , but I didn’t think voters would deflect en masse. Thank god. Another poster nailed it. If they think the recipe for success going forward, is throwing the few euro at their sacred cow pensioners. Lol! That time is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

All done and dusted.
    I went the furthest down the paper than I ever have in a long while (to #8)
    Steady stream of voters, no crowds.
    Beautiful morning in Dublin so hope the turnout is high no matter the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Field east wrote: »

In the committees etc I know the Labour party, SDs and Greens in particular along with SF have been co-operating quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Leo compared them to East Germany and Venezuela and there's been plenty of stuff on boards over the last week since FG switched up to a McCarthyite attack strategy when they found out voters are deserting them en-masse

Sinn Fein are supporters of Maduro and supported Chavez before him.

There's nothing wrong with other parties pointing it out.

• Advertisement

almostover wrote: »
    €38k is a good bit more than anyone in my line of work would be earning after their first 9 months post graduation. Work in manufacturing engineering.

Just because the teachers who graduated before 2011 got paid better doesn't make that scenario sustainable with respect to the public finances. To me it appears as if newly qualified teachers are compensated very well even if graduated post 2011. Benchmarking was great when it made salaries in the public sector rise but their was no appetite for benchmarking when salaries in the private sector took a tumble.

Nurses on the other hand are getting a raw deal. That I will admit. There is a situation that needs fixing. But their unions are not as powerful as the teachers! And their unions don't hold as much political sway. Plenty of former teachers in our Dail but no former nurses to my knowledge.

Nurses earn marginally less than teachers

Advertisement