Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

McMurphy wrote: »
    The shinners are in a win win situation no matter what after this election, not part of the next govt? They will still (most probably) have increased their seat numbers, and be there in opposition.

Next election, FF FG vote share depletion continues most likely the shinners increase continues.

It's purely a matter of time before they're in govt.

I fully expect the result will be FF in with a few smaller parties (not SF) or a very outside chance of FG doing the same or an FF-FG C/S

What I want is a big decrease in FF-FG combined support and an increase to the various leftish parties.

I will be extremely happy with FF-FG hitting the very low 40%s and continuing that downward trajectory.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Seperate argument bordering on the philosophical

"how much should teachers earn"

The core point here is the plight of new entrants to the profession is a consequence of internal teacher union structure and politics
    ...and yet your previous comment was "That pay inequality is down to teachers in their fifties etc being paid too much"
    Nice deflection there! :rolleyes:
    More pro-SF waffle that doesn't like being questioned or scrutinised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Well done. davycc will be along to thank you very soon.

In the meantime how do you think SF will be able to change the country? Try to answer without mentioning any other party. What exactly do you think would change by SF being the 3rd most popular party which is the most likely result.

"Answer my question, but only in a way that suits me".

The very fact that a third party is catching up with the big two in terms of vote share could act as a driver for change in itself. Two almost identical political parties taking turns in power does not make for a healthy political landscape. Anything that could help change that is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well done. davycc will be along to thank you very soon.

In the meantime how do you think SF will be able to change the country? Try to answer without mentioning any other party. What exactly do you think would change by SF being the 3rd most popular party which is the most likely result.

Head in the sand there.

The entire dynamic has been changed this time. It won't be the same again. There is a credible challenger in town now.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

The very fact that a third party is catching up with the big two in terms of vote share could act as a driver for change in itself. Two almost identical political parties taking turns in power does not make for a healthy political landscape. Anything that could help change that is a good thing.

No I'm asking you to seriously answer the question as to what can Sinn Fein do to improve things without just saying they will do things better than FF or FG.
    It's so easy to criticise parties but quite difficult to come up with solutions. I have listened to everything Mary Lou has said but I haven't heard anything to convince me that she could improve anything. All she does is throw mud at FF and FG and dodge questions.
    Why do you place your trust in SF? Should be a simple question to answer without involving other parties. What do you think they can do differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I want at least 6 links from a reputable source (caveat: what is reputable will be decided by me), a sworn affidavit by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, a report from the Japanese central bank and a letter from my dead Gran PROVING that you are literally not a communist nazi. You need to answer my questions.

Take your time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Not what I said. If you place to high of taxes on people they will seek to invest in other countries. Not everyone is glued to the country as you might be. Capital is free to flow where it wants and it is necessary to create employment.

Most section 110 companies have no employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Head in the sand there.

The entire dynamic has been changed this time. It won't be the same again. There is a credible challenger in town now.

Like Labour did in 2011 with their 33 seats because that's more seats than SF are likely to get today?

Like Labour did in 2011 with their 33 seats because that's more seats than SF are likely to get today?

Labour took advantage of a FF implosion. And in fairness acted like compliant servants rather than natural born leaders

SF have shown they can challenge as outright winners and that they won't kow tow to any other party.

That's the change - that is why you see FF FG DNA's on here losing their marbles and denigrating anyone thinking of giving SF a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'll say it again, the pearl clutching pre-ballot is hugely satisfying.
    Hugely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

No I'm asking you to seriously answer the question as to what can Sinn Fein do to improve things without just saying they will do things better than FF or FG.
    It's so easy to criticise parties but quite difficult to come up with solutions. I have listened to everything Mary Lou has said but I haven't heard anything to convince me that she could improve anything. All she does is throw mud at FF and FG and dodge questions.
    Why do you place your trust in SF? Should be a simple question to answer without involving other parties. What do you think they can do differently?

I'm not the original poster you were replying to, I haven't even voted yet. I'm just pointing out it's daft to ask someone to answer the question without mentioning other parties when the very reason a large amount of people are voting SF is to force a change in our political system.

For myself, I don't particularly trust any party and I'm confused as to why trust is even being brought into it. They all lie through their teeth to get elected. None of them convince me. FF claim they want change, but have been propping up FG for years and have a leader who was a minister during the crisis. FG are going to fix health and housing despite not having done so while in power. They're going to give a tax break to lower earners - sounds like the USC promise from last time round that disappeared when they got elected. SF have financial plans that don't add up. Lies from all 3. Would SF, in the unlikely event they get into government this election, suddenly turn the country into a utopia? No, of course not. But the fact they're creeping up on FF and FG will hopefully scare the big two into becoming something other than clones of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

This really worries me, FF/SF coalition being backed by the bookies. Nightmare scenario stuff. Country will be broke by the time the 5 years are up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Could sinn fein run a country

Lol

They cant even run the 6 counties

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

almostover wrote: »
    This really worries me, FF/SF coalition being backed by the bookies. Nightmare scenario stuff. Country will be broke by the time the 5 years are up!

id say it ll be alternatives before that happens, really cant see this happening

C__MC wrote: »

Lol

They are not supposed to be 'running' northern Ireland. Hadn't you noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Labour took advantage of a FF implosion. And in fairness acted like compliant servants rather than natural born leaders

SF have shown they can challenge as outright winners and that they won't kow tow to any other party.

That's the change - that is why you see FF FG DNA's on here losing their marbles and denigrating anyone thinking of giving SF a chance.

Things going well for SF they will be the minority party in a FF led Government.
    That’s the way I see it.
    How would you feel then if they were given the Health and Housing ministries?
    That would test them surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

They are not supposed to be 'running' northern Ireland. Hadn't you noticed?

How would you phrase it? Collaborating in a power sharing arrangement on behalf of the British state?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    How would you phrase it? Collaborating in a power sharing arrangement on behalf of the British state?

What would you prefer them to do? You one of those who secretly wants rid of the GFA and go back to conflict/war?

Get a bit of a grip there SS.

Things going well for SF they will be the minority party in a FF led Government.
    That’s the way I see it.
    How would you feel then if they were given the Health and Housing ministries?
    That would test them surely.

Absolutely would.

I'd be critical of them if they go in without the power agreed to change the way things are done in those depts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

C__MC wrote: »

Lol

That's poor comment even by AH standards.

• Advertisement

What would you prefer them to do? You one of those who secretly wants rid of the GFA and go back to conflict/war?

Get a bit of a grip there SS.

The question isn’t my preference. The question is if, as you say, they are not “running” Northern Ireland, as was one of the reasons given for the executive, for people to have a say etc etc, how would you phrase Sinn Fein participation in government in Northern Ireland?

The question isn’t my preference. The question is if, as you say, they are not “running” Northern Ireland, as was one of the reasons given for the executive, for people to have a say etc etc, how would you phrase Sinn Fein participation in government in Northern Ireland?

They are partners in a unique devolved government operating under an internationally agreed Agreement between two governments. Where no party has autonomy regardless of the outcome of elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when we get out likely FFG confidence and supply. The FF rats will be beside themselves! Well lads, FG were voted out having done nothing , which is likely what FF will deliver. Dont plan on being there for long, if you think nothing but talking will keep you in power next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Idbatterim wrote: »
    when we get out likely FFG confidence and supply. The FF rats will be beside themselves! Well lads, FG were voted out having done nothing , which is likely what FF will deliver. Dont plan on being there for long, if you think nothing but talking will keep you in power next time...

ff will plough on as usual, as they are the party of builders, plenty will be done under their reign, but at god knows what cost

They are partners in a unique devolved government operating under an internationally agreed Agreement between two governments. Where no party has autonomy regardless of the outcome of elections.

Yeah, running it.

Yeah, running it.

Really sad you are engaging in this. But it is par for the course.

Really sad you are engaging in this. But it is par for the course.

Really sad that responsibility is so anathema to Sinn Fein that their supporters can’t even admit they are in a government responsible for running northern ireland.

Really sad that responsibility is so anathema to Sinn Fein that their supporters can’t even admit they are in a government responsible for running northern ireland.

They are not 'running' northern Ireland SS.

If they have the autonomy to do what they want...please show us how?

Otherwise you are wittering and taking cheap shots like Leo, who will then turn around and say northern Ireland is a special case when it suits him as he did this week already.

SF are jointly responsible for northern Ireland with the DUP, the British and Irish governments.

They are not 'running' northern Ireland SS.

If they have the autonomy to do what they want...please show us how?

Otherwise you are wittering and taking cheap shots like Leo, who will then turn around and say northern Ireland is a special case when it suits him as he did this week already.

SF are jointly responsible for northern Ireland with the DUP, the British and Irish governments.

Tell me, if I am a manager in a coffee shop chain and a customer asks are you running this coffee shop would I say no ultimate autonomy rests with the shareholders who elect the board of directors and chief executive?

Or would I take responsibility and say, yes. I am running this coffee shop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I know the country is on its knees
    We should all emigrate
    Oh wait... :rolleyes:

No, hospital trolleys.

Yeah we should wait until the next crash :rolleyes:

Advertisement