Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Very wet and windy in the north west. Will probably turn some people off voting.

Most Sinn Fein supporters don't get out of bed to work so voter turnout will be against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Donegal looks like it will deliver 2 seats to SF again. Who'll take the rest?

Donegal

2 FF 1 FG
    I would think. Pringles loss will be SFs gain.

Sligo-Leitrim is unpredictable. 1 SF 1 FF 1 Ind looks a cert.
    battle royal then for last seat between FF and FG.
    19 candidates will make it a long count.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Most Sinn Fein supporters don't get out of bed to work so voter turnout will be against them.

I'm confused. Why then are their supporters called the working class?

An outdated stereotype now I’m afraid. Many of those voting for SF today will have good jobs but are locked out of home ownership. A reshuffling of the deck is not a risky prospect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

This kind of dismissive snobbiness is one of the reasons why many voters are turning away from the two main parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Was a certain poster not boasting about FG creating 'full employment' a while ago?

Your bitter loser little snipe does not compute. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Donegal

2 FF 1 FG
    I would think. Pringles loss will be SFs gain.

The other Ind O'Donnell performed well in the TG4 but it's hard to know how transfer-friendly he is. I think Pringle will hold on at Gallagher's expense on the back of SF transfers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

An outdated stereotype now I’m afraid. Many of those voting for SF today will have good jobs but are locked out of home ownership. A reshuffling of the deck is not a risky prospect for them.

Yeah those people are going to get a horrible dose of reality when they see SF in action. Personal responsibility, employment or taking ownership of your own failure is not the way of SF

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Yeah those people are going to get a horrible dose of reality when they see SF in action. Personal responsibility, employment or taking ownership of your own failure is not the way of SF

And those other people are going to get Michael Martin...a paragon of personal responsibility and taking ownership. :):)

There is nothing like a mortgage to make you conservative and crave stability. Take that prospect away and people, voters that is, will be less conservative and less supportive of the political status quo.

We have had health crisis before, we have had financial imprudence, we have had arrogance. The real difference this time is housing.

If, as a thirty something year old, in a decent job, your only option was moving back in with mammy and daddy, anyone in their right minds would be looking for some pretty drastic change too.

• Advertisement

There is nothing like a mortgage to make you conservative and crave stability. Take that prospect away and people, voters that is, will be less conservative and less supportive of the political status quo.

We have had health crisis before, we have had financial imprudence, we have had arrogance. The real difference this time is housing.

If, as a thirty something year old, in a decent job, your only option was moving back in with mammy and daddy, anyone in their right minds would be looking for some pretty drastic change too.

Housing is something like any responsible adult I ASPIRE to own - I don’t feel entitled to it and I sure as **** don’t expect it to be handed to me for free. We have a large proportion of our population however who have an infantile view that it is their right to have these provided to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

How likely is a FF/SF coalition?

I think SF have set this up well. A manifesto they could never deliver but also in knowledge they would never have to deliver it.

If they somehow get in to government as a minority they can then say they had to concede some things to the majority partner

redzerdrog wrote: »
    How likely is a FF/SF coalition?

Highly unlikely IMO. Martin's first choice is a 'soft left' coalition with Labour, Greens etc. If the numbers are not there for that there's a 'confidence and supply' offer from FG on the table. Can't envisage the circumstances where he would be going anywhere near SF...

Highly unlikely IMO. Martin's first choice is a 'soft left' coalition with Labour, Greens etc. If the numbers are not there for that there's a 'confidence and supply' offer from FG on the table. Can't envisage the circumstances where he would be going anywhere near SF...

Which will just kick the inevitable down the road and create a much bigger shift next time.

FG would be mad to go for that...but, making the right call is not their forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

michael martin is every bit as socially liberal and economically left wing as anyone in the labour party , social democrats or the greens , he will have no problem putting together a coalition if he doles out enough key positions to non FF TD,s

he can also bank on very generous media support as the media adore the greens and the soc dems , martin is a bluffer of the highest order ( and believes in nothing ) but hes a cute shaver all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

As unlikely as it may be, would a FF/SF coalition be SF only hope of being in government?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Another confidence and supply would really damage FF.

Housing is something like any responsible adult I ASPIRE to own - I don’t feel entitled to it and I sure as **** don’t expect it to be handed to me for free. We have a large proportion of our population however who have an infantile view that it is their right to have these provided to them.

What are the alternatives to providing people who cannot afford to buy a home with somewhere to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

redzerdrog wrote: »
    As unlikely as it may be, would a FF/SF coalition be SF only hope of being in government?

very possible that SF dont want to be in government , they didnt run enough canditates and with the global economic recovery getting very long in the tooth , they would be likely to emerge an even larger party in a few years , they want to perhaps become the main opposition first , this looks like being their breakthrough election amongst middle ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Was a certain poster not boasting about FG creating 'full employment' a while ago?

Wasn't me, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    very possible that SF dont want to be in government , they didnt run enough canditates and with the global economic recovery getting very long in the tooth , they would be likely to emerge an even larger party in a few years , they want to perhaps become the main opposition first , this looks like being their breakthrough election amongst middle ireland

SF got hammered during the local elections, 42 candidates was a wise move at the start of the campaign from their support level at the times. The surge in the polls was as big a surprise to SF as it was to everyone else.

What Michael Martin should do, IMO, if the numbers stack up is a FF/Lab/Green/Soc Dem/Ind coalition and offer the housing ministry to SFs Eoin O Brionn or health ministry to Louise O Reilly. Let them wave their magic wand inside a department.
    I think the Greens will do better in this election than is expected.

What are the alternatives to providing people who cannot afford to buy a home with somewhere to live?

Eh they could get jobs like the rest of us and rent and save in the hope of buying one?? Failing that - the people who work should come first for housing. The ones who have never worked and spent their lives in handouts can remain where they aspired to be - in the gutter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

If the Coronavirus continues to mess up the Chinese economy and a lot of Brexit uncertainty thrown in the "recovery" mightnt last too long

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

well, the government tell them they will hand it to them on a plate, which they do. I'd question the system first!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    well, the government tell them they will hand it to them on a plate, which they do. I'd question the system first!

I absolutely agree but we need a party that’s going to cut the bull**** and the welfare fraud, not further enable it. We don’t seem to have a viable option yet unfortunately.

I absolutely agree but we need a party that’s going to cut the bull**** and the welfare fraud, not further enable it. We don’t seem to have a viable option yet unfortunately.

yeah! and you hit the nail on the head, absolutely do not expect any change with the current options we have. they are the problems!
    any party with reasonable and sensical policies here, will be branded the far right by RTE etc... :rolleyes:

This surge of votes going to the left will continue, from workers, who are screwed by housing. Now given an option of a new centre / centre right party. that could leave FFG in a **** spot and lets hope we hit that point soon. A point where its not a given that one or both of those shower of morons would be running the country!

michael martin is every bit as socially liberal and economically left wing as anyone in the labour party , social democrats or the greens , he will have no problem putting together a coalition if he doles out enough key positions to non FF TD

The problem will be the numbers. Paddy Power currently predicting they will finish in the mid 50s. Difficult to get from there to 80 without the involvement of SF or FG (or presumably PBP et al).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah! and you hit the nail on the head, absolutely do not expect any change with the current options we have. they are the problems!
    any party with reasonable and sensical policies here, will be branded the far right by RTE etc... :rolleyes:

This surge of votes going to the left will continue, from workers, who are screwed by housing. Now given an option of a new centre / centre right party. that could leave FFG in a **** spot and lets hope we hit that point soon. A point where its not a given that one or both of those shower of morons would be running the country!

You're hilarious.

Last week you were voting FG after years of calling Leo splinter!!

Now you're voting the greens after declaring you were voting FF!!

• Advertisement

You're hilarious.

Last week you were voting FG after years of calling Leo splinter!!

Now you're voting the greens after declaring you were voting FF!!

I did give Greens a vote. Varadkar is splinter and you are right, about me thiking of voting FF, didnt do it at the ballot box today though, couldnt bring myself to it. Didnt give FFG a vote. Theyll only change, if they think people are deflecting, voting for them, serves no purpose for me...

Advertisement