Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

pjohnson wrote: »
    Another confidence and supply would really damage FF.

Don't see why it should if they are top dogs. My sense is FF grassroots would vastly prefer a minority FF government propped up by FG than any sort of deal with SF...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Govt will be FF Greens Lab SDs and a few independents who arent mental. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Govt will be FF Greens Lab SDs and a few independents who arent mental. End of.

Agreed, and then we'll have a election during the Summer.

Agreed, and then we'll have a election during the Summer.

Well this is the thing. Does an innately cautious guy like Martin try to put together such a precarious arrangement with likely a wafer-thin majority? Or does he go for an unsatisfactory but probably stable deal with FG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Well this is the thing. Does an innately cautious guy like Martin try to put together such a precarious arrangement with likely a wafer-thin majority? Or does he go for an unsatisfactory but probably stable deal with FG?

His last shot at becoming Taoiseach I'm guessing he'd like it to last longer than 6 months.

• Advertisement

His last shot at becoming Taoiseach I'm guessing he'd like it to last longer than 6 months.

He seems to have softened his line on FG in the last week or so. Obviously to make it clear he regards SF as the real bad guys, but maybe also because he is leaning towards another 'big 2 carve-up'...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

smurgen wrote: »
    Tell me has fine Gael or FF done anything to grow domestic businesses at all? Has any contingency work been done at all to diversify our labor market in case the multinationals go quiet again or do we all have to emigrate again when disaster strikes?

Yes. I've worked in four small companies that have been partially funded by enterprise Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Just curious roughly what is your income cohort? As according to Leo 47k is the average wage even though median wage is a truer metric but quite less than the average and far more representative of the population.

That'd be the billionaires.
    Ireland top 5 in billionaires per capita.
    And working people need state aid....
    Worse elsewhere of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Yes. I've worked in four small companies that have been partially funded by enterprise Ireland.

enterprise boards have been around a lot longer than the recent government

Highly unlikely IMO. Martin's first choice is a 'soft left' coalition with Labour, Greens etc. If the numbers are not there for that there's a 'confidence and supply' offer from FG on the table. Can't envisage the circumstances where he would be going anywhere near SF...

Well that first choice is looking pretty tenuous based on the exit poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Op

They’ve ran a terrorist army for a few years anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Did any of the pundits hazard a guess at seat numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Did any of the pundits hazard a guess at seat numbers?

No. Other than to say that FG have 2 TDs in many constituencies...... they'll lose those 2nd seats now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

No. Other than to say that FG have 2 TDs in many constituencies...... they'll lose those 2nd seats now...

What They actually said.. was that FF and FG have too many candidates and that 2 T.d's in the same party could be fighting each other for the one seat

Mortelaro wrote: »
    What They actually said.. was that FF and FG have too many candidates and that 2 T.d's in the same party could be fighting each other for the one seat

FF don't have many constituencies with 2 TDs.......but FG do.

They also said that FF have played the best strategy with running candidates and will likely come out with the most seats.

Time will tell.

Philip B Hayes just tweeted this, SF's percentages since he started covering elections.

‘92: 1.6%
    ‘97: 2.5%
    ‘02: 6.5%
    ‘07: 6.9%
    ‘11: 9.9%
    ‘16: 13.8%
    ‘20: 22.3% (exit poll)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

As long as he doesn't spend two years over in the EU. :)

Tis a she, not a he

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

They also said that FF have played the best strategy with running candidates and will likely come out with the most seats.

Time will tell.

Great fun ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Time will tell.

FF have 3 candidates in Tipperary which could gain them 0 if the vote splits

For certain
    Lowry to top poll
    Mattie next
    Kelly (Cahill would normally take this spot but the FF 3 candidate strategy may backfire here)

It’ll be a battle for the next 2. With that exit poll you can’t write off Browne of SF could possibly do it which would be a first for Tipperary in recent times. It’s literally open for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Time will tell.

FF have a lot with 2
    At least half their T.d's share constituencies eg Wexford,Wicklow,Carlow Kilkenny, cork northwest kildare North,sligo Leitrim,Laois Offaly,Donegal ,cork south central, cork north central,cavan Monaghan

The vast majority of the SF surplus vote will go to other left parties but what little is left after that will mostly go to FF alright
    I wouldn't want to be relying on it though

Tomorrow will be fascinating for election geeks

• Advertisement

FF have 3 candidates in Tipperary which could gain them 0 if the vote splits

For certain
    Lowry to top poll
    Mattie next
    Kelly (Cahill would normally take this spot but the FF 3 candidate strategy may backfire here)

It’ll be a battle for the next 2. With that exit poll you can’t write off Browne of SF could possibly do it which would be a first for Tipperary in recent times. It’s literally open for anyone.

I'd imagine FG will lose seats in Mayo and Galway west. FF could lose seats in Donegal and Mayo. But FG have a lot of constituencies in Dublin and commuter counties with 2 TDs.....so Regina Doherty, Eoghan Murphy etc are in trouble.

We'll have a better understanding in a couple of days...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Well that escalated dramatically, biggest political party in the country now from the looks of it.

How did Fine Gael get it so wrong????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bladespin wrote: »
    Well that escalated dramatically, biggest political party in the country now from the looks of it.

How did Fine Gael get it so wrong????

To quote a senior party rep.

"Those D4 boys fúckéd it up again".

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Wonder will FF or FG change their approach? Clearly the excluding them completely will further destroy their credibility

Front bench FF saying a FF SF government is inevitable and Mark McSharry refusing to be drawn on it.

Wind is going out of the Never Never sails.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

We have a party here that's core voter is lower income. With that the policies are driven I.e. the richer middle class will pay for everything and the taxes will continue to tumble in. Let's look at northern Ireland 21 years under their control. Last year the UK gave 10 billion in prop up money. That's 10 billion for 1.5million people approx, every year the British public pay for Northern Ireland. Could Sinn fein actually manage a much larger country with a different majority tax payer ? While we all have a choice on who we vote for it's a case of careful what you want , there are no free lunches

Well FG couldn't, FF didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wonder will FF or FG change their approach? Clearly the excluding them completely will further destroy their credibility
    FG can say no as their voters would go along with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Front bench FF saying a FF SF government is inevitable and Mark McSharry refusing to be drawn on it.

Wind is going out of the Never Never sails.

Best option. Fine Gael term is up. 
    I just can't see a Sinn Fein+ FG ministry would work?

FF + Sinn Fein can function collectively to solve housing and health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I said it before and I’ll say it again.
    FF will split if they continue to rule out sharing power with SF.
    Many of them want to do it.
    They were made for each other.

• Advertisement

I said it before and I’ll say it again.
    FF will split if they continue to rule out sharing power with SF.
    Many of them want to do it.
    They were made for each other.

By tonight they'll be jumping ship, wait and see. I said the same as you all along.

How credible is SF trying to assemble a left alliance, I wonder?

Advertisement