Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Sinn Fein actually run a country ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Don't see why it should if they are top dogs. My sense is FF grassroots would vastly prefer a minority FF government propped up by FG than any sort of deal with SF...

FF supporters dont want to hold up FG anymore

They have struggle in this election to free themselves from the bad press FG are getting

FG are hoping FF will jump on bandwagon with them, one of them on Virgin already saying it.

If FF had any sense they would run a mile and jump in with SF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Best option. Fine Gael term is up. 
    I just can't see a Sinn Fein+ FG ministry would work?

FF + Sinn Fein can function collectively to solve housing and health problems.

Totally deluded to believe that they can solve the health problems.

Neither will make the tough decisions to gut the HSE, because both are populist And SF in the extreme.

AFAIK per capita we have one of the best funded health service in Europe.
    Yet it is a fooking mess and throwing even more of taxpayers money at it is not going to fix it.
    And yes whoever comes in are stuck with the NCH mess created by FG and previously to some degree by ff.
    That alone is going to screw the rest of the HSE and Dept of Health spending for years.

Housing is solved by building more houses and building upwards in Dublin.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I said it before and I’ll say it again.
    FF will split if they continue to rule out sharing power with SF.
    Many of them want to do it.
    They were made for each other.
    If they split they'll be no use to any government on numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

jmayo wrote: »

Simplistic in the extreme if you've ever looked into housing in any depth. But, that's also pretty much FG policy (and at that, they're failing at their building targets) and they got a thumping yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    FF supporters dont want to hold up FG anymore

They have struggle in this election to free themselves from the bad press FG are getting

FG are hoping FF will jump on bandwagon with them, one of them on Virgin already saying it.

If FF had any sense they would run a mile and jump in with SF

I sincerely hope that FF do form a government with SF, might give FG time in opposition to reorganise themselves as some kind of vaguely conservative party

Ditch Leo too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

is_that_so wrote: »
    If they split they'll be no use to any government on numbers!

I’m saying it’s join them in Government or split. Obviously if they cannot agree to form a Govt then they’ll split and have little or no chance to be in any form of Govt for many many years to come.

I can see MM being ousted too.

I’m saying it’s join them in Government or split. Obviously if they cannot agree to form a Govt then they’ll split and have little or no chance to be in any form of Govt for many many years to come.

I can see MM being ousted too.
    It depends how they do. If they get into the forties he'll stick around, if not he may step down himself. No guarantee there is any level of support within FF for any deal with SF, just because of few voices wondering aloud.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that FF do form a government with SF, might give FG time in opposition to reorganise themselves as some kind of vaguely conservative party

Ditch Leo too

harris on Virgin earlier saying they wouldn't ditch Leo.......

is_that_so wrote: »
    It depends how they do. If they get into the forties he'll stick around, if not he may step down himself. No guarantee there is any level of support within FF for any deal with SF, just because of few voices wondering aloud.

More than a few voices imo.

Housing would be quicker and cheaper to solve by moving people away from Dublinand to other parts of country. Stop the concentration of companies been based in Dublin

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Simplistic in the extreme if you've ever looked into housing in any depth. But, that's also pretty much FG policy (and at that, they're failing at their building targets) and they got a thumping yesterday.

They failed because they left it to private interests or kept the cr** where people that should be in public owned housing are put in private owned housing.

Supply needs to be upped to meet demand no matter what way you try and swing this.

You have to try meet supply, and that is supply of affordable both by private and public entities.

The huge problem with housing in Ireland is that ordinary workers cannot now afford to buy or even rent.
    And I think that is where SF got a lot of their new votes.

It is not about the perennial homeless who would be living on the streets anyway or the chancers gaming the system to try jump up the housing lists.

EDIT : Shefwedfan also has very valid point above about concentrated development in Dublin.
    If Dublin is to continue being centre of everything and our "European world city" then it better start developing upwards like other nations cities.

Housing is solved by capital spending.
    The health system is not solved by capital spending nor throwing even more money into one of the HSE current expenditure money pits.

More than a few voices imo.
    From the top of both they say no and that is how I expect them to approach the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

They failed because they left it to private interests or kept the cr** where people that should be in public owned housing are put in private owned housing.

Supply needs to be upped to meet demand no matter what way you try and swing this.

You have to try meet supply, and that is supply of affordable both by private and public entities.

The huge problem with housing in Ireland is that ordinary workers cannot now afford to buy or even rent.
    And I think that is where SF got a lot of their new votes.

It is not about the perennial homeless who would be living on the streets anyway or the chancers gaming the system to try jump up the housing lists.

Housing is solved by capital spending.
    The health system is not solved by capital spending nor throwing even more money into one of the HSE current expenditure money pits.

Simplistic, wrong and is an opinion tainted by right-wing angryman garbage.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Simplistic, wrong and is an opinion tainted by right-wing angryman garbage.

Why not tell us how it should be done or will you adopt the shinner tactic of shouting down everything and promising the moon and the stars for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Tbh even people who don't like SF have little time for Harris's over-the-top obsessional hate for Irish nationalism and republicanism.

I didn't hear his rant but I'd say it will benefit SF if anything.

As I predicted. SF should now troll Harris by taking out adverts in the newspapers to thank him.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I'd say ISIS are sorry they didn't run a few candidates to, if people want real change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Totally deluded to believe that they can solve the health problems.

Neither will make the tough decisions to gut the HSE, because both are populist And SF in the extreme.

AFAIK per capita we have one of the best funded health service in Europe.
    Yet it is a fooking mess and throwing even more of taxpayers money at it is not going to fix it.
    And yes whoever comes in are stuck with the NCH mess created by FG and previously to some degree by ff.
    That alone is going to screw the rest of the HSE and Dept of Health spending for years.

Why is it misguided? This view is why we seeing nothing getting done. People are in corridors of the hospitals, which surely means a lack of rooms to put people into. So the obvious thing to do is develop the hospital out and the government might have to buy up people property to make room or build higher number of floors on top of what already there? If the Chinese can erect a hospital in a week what stopping us?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Why not tell us how it should be done or will you adopt the shinner tactic of shouting down everything and promising the moon and the stars for everyone.

They all promised the moon and stars.

Why is it misguided? This view is why we seeing nothing getting done. People are in corridors of the hospitals, which surely means a lack of rooms to put people into. So the obvious thing to do is develop the hospital out and the government might have to buy up people property to make room or build higher number of floors on top of what already there? If the Chinese can erect a hospital in a week what stopping us?

You dont seem to understand the issue

The hospitals have bed, just no doctors or nurses to look after the bed in the beds. We don't need another hospital, we need staff to look after the beds in the hospitals already

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You spelt ‘ruin’ wrong in your thread title, OP.

Yes. Yes they could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

bladespin wrote: »
    Well that escalated dramatically, biggest political party in the country now from the looks of it.

How did Fine Gael get it so wrong????

Arrogance and entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I'd say ISIS are sorry they didn't run a few candidates to, if people want real change.

Are you saying Sinn Féin are basically ISIS? Because that's quite pathetic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

The hospitals have bed, just no doctors or nurses to look after the bed in the beds. We don't need another hospital, we need staff to look after the beds in the hospitals already

Individuals with no medical education are employed to do senior home care all the time. With some guidance and education people can be hired to do care activity after surgery. Nurses workload can be cut down. Wasting time is what disrupts productivity.  

Doctors: that probably a pay issue or the education system not pushing people to do these kinds of jobs? I not sure i never really researched too deeply the health issues people are complaining about.

MM has now come out and said he is not ruling out forming a Govt with SF or any other party. Not what he said earlier in the week.

Goes to show how the craving for the wee bit of power makes them change their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MM has now come out and said he is not ruling out forming a Govt with SF or any other party. Not what he said earlier in the week.

Goes to show how the craving for the wee bit of power makes them change their minds.
    Or a clever ploy to keep SF (who would refuse any offer from FF) out of government and prevent them from making an utter balls of everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

To an extent; the greater issue is of “delayed discharges”, people who have no medical need to be in hospital but for whom home care or a nursing home is not available. Every time I see a comparison of bed blocking delayed dischargees vs people in trolleys, there would be fewer on trollies.

More facilities are needed to deal with planned procedures (cataracts, knees, hips etc) and if these were in dedicated hospitals there would be shorter waiting lists. More staff yes but not to the extent some believe. Greater resources and better allocation thereof certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd imagine his words are meaningless, I can't imagine him being leader by the time the next dail takes its first session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

If anyone has garden benches or patio chairs left outside, its advisable to bring them in.

Apparently, Sinn Fein are taking seats all over the place this evening. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Then again the final figures will tell what adds up to a magic 80. That or maybe no stable Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

piplip87 wrote: »
    Eat of luck to you all. Remember Shinnerbots

1) Proportional Representation robbed you of this election.... It's not fair......

2) Too many people voted in pencil. The establishment robbed you.

3) Met Eireann are in cahoots with FFG by announcing a weather warning on polling day.... All those people who spent the past few weeks shouting about SF on social media where to afraid to leave Thier social houses on that weather.... It's the same excuse used for job interviews ... Maybe there not really full time mad Bastards after all.....

4) Biased media, how dare they ask question of the manifestos not adding up, SF voting to increase pension age up the North

5) The Quinn Family only speaking out now to hurt SF....

Most importantly guy get plenty of rest it's going to be a long 5 years with 25 seats moaning about everything.......

This post but.

Advertisement