Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechatronics IT Sligo. Advice.

Options
  • 04-02-2020 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Looking for advice/information on the Mechatronics online course in Sligo.
    There is a few topics on here about it but nothing up to date.
    Im working in a factory at the moment in my mid 30s looking to progress. Have recently completed a Certificate in Industrial automation at GMIT.
    Past students - Have you found this course beneficial?
    What jobs or employment have you gained from it?
    Its a 4 year online course... was it a tough 4 years & was it worth doing if you are willing to give 4 years of your time up for it?

Look any advice on this will be a help to me.
    Im paying my own money for the course & I dont want to be wasting my time or money if its not worth it.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

Sorry I'm no good to you about the mechatronics course but i see you done industrial automation in gmit....how did you find that and would you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bcoll05

fastrac94 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm no good to you about the mechatronics course but i see you done industrial automation in gmit....how did you find that and would you recommend it?

Well it depends in where you are working.
    The factory I work in at the moment its no good to me as of yet. There's no technician roles.
    A few of the lads that were doing the course worked in Boston, Creganna, Medtronic & they said it would stand to them when looking for a job as a technician in those places.
    As for the course its pretty much all about plcs & writing out a program from an electrical drawing & installing it into the plc to operate. It sounds complicated but as the course goes on you will understand it as long as you pay attention for the 4 hours you are in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

bcoll05 wrote: »
    Looking for advice/information on the Mechatronics online course in Sligo.
    There is a few topics on here about it but nothing up to date.
    Im working in a factory at the moment in my mid 30s looking to progress. Have recently completed a Certificate in Industrial automation at GMIT.
    Past students - Have you found this course beneficial?
    What jobs or employment have you gained from it?
    Its a 4 year online course... was it a tough 4 years & was it worth doing if you are willing to give 4 years of your time up for it?

Look any advice on this will be a help to me.
    Im paying my own money for the course & I dont want to be wasting my time or money if its not worth it.
    Thanks.

With your existing cert it would likely be 2 years online for level 7/ BEng.

Not being smart, but it enables you to apply for positions requiring a degree.
    After that, your experience, competence and work ethic come in to play.
    I would say, from an engineering perspective, it is a no-brainer.

Have u not got a level seven already from the automation course in the gmit?

Have u not got a level seven already from the automation course in the gmit?

No its a special purpose award.
    Only worth 30 credits.

• Advertisement

Andrea B. wrote: »

Hi Andrea B. Thanks for the reply.
    What do you mean by this? I don't fully understand what you are saying?

When I done my apprenticeship I got a level 6 certificate.how does the credit system work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When I done my apprenticeship I got a level 6 certificate.how does the credit system work?

Have a look here:

https://nfq.qqi.ie/

1. The Mechatronics L7 in Sligo should only be 2 years as you have the GMIT and industrial experience under your belt.

2. With L7, it opens up much more possibilities wrt to applying for roles/ promotions etc.

3. The fact that you would be undertaking the degree, under your own steam and funding reflects very well with employers.

4. Much of what you will study, you may never remember and/or use again. You will however have proven your ability to have learned and qualified.

Go do it. You will likely never, ever, regret it.

1. The Mechatronics L7 in Sligo should only be 2 years as you have the GMIT and industrial experience under your belt.

2. With L7, it opens up much more possibilities wrt to applying for roles/ promotions etc.

3. The fact that you would be undertaking the degree, under your own steam and funding reflects very well with employers.

4. Much of what you will study, you may never remember and/or use again. You will however have proven your ability to have learned and qualified.

• Advertisement

Wise words Andrea.
    Thank you for all that. It has highlighted a few points I hadn't considered. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Wise words Andrea.
    Thank you for all that. It has highlighted a few points I hadn't considered. Much appreciated.

I just completed the L7 & L8

I don't regret it, it was a very tough 4 years! Opportunities are there now in my company and in others.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't regret it, it was a very tough 4 years! Opportunities are there now in my company and in others.

Agree 100%

There are a lot of opportunities there.

HopsandJumps.
    Had you any engineering background before this course?
    How many hours a week would you say you put in to keep on top of the course?
    The online learning, if you had a question what would you do or how do you get it answered?

Im going to apply for the course I am determined to do it. I just want to have an idea of what is ahead.
    Have myself prepared a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

HopsandJumps.
    Had you any engineering background before this course?
    How many hours a week would you say you put in to keep on top of the course?
    The online learning, if you had a question what would you do or how do you get it answered?

Im going to apply for the course I am determined to do it. I just want to have an idea of what is ahead.
    Have myself prepared a little.

Don't be discouraged by what i'm about to say, none of these courses are easy. Its a long slog and you will feel lost a lot of the time but the Sligo class whatsapp group is an absolute godsend, it really helps with motivation and answers.

I had a L6 in electronic and computer eng form about 15 years ago, I currently work in semiconductors.

Most of the lecturers are useless, they say to send them an email for answers but you are sending an email into a black hole. Figuring the stuff out over whatsapp with the class is the only option. the course co-coordinators teach subjects, they are brilliant as is the L8 controls lecturer.

I got in done in 4 years, nobody else did. It takes a lot of dedication unfortunately

Apply ASAP, the course is normally full by march.

Mech L7 Y1 - The easiest year of the whole lot. About 8-9 hours a week for the year. SCADA was the toughest subject for me and for most of the group. Zero help from the lecturers on this on.

Mech L7 Y2 - Hardest year out of the 4 for me. Maths and control systems in the one year along with other subjects and a project to complete. about 18-25 hours a week then the project hit. Had to take a few weeks off work for that. I got grinds for maths all though the year.

Mech L8 Y1 - about 10 hours a week for the year. I got maths grinds a lot that year too, the maths steps up a level but not a huge about to the L7. few other waffly subjucts with it.

Mech L8 Y2 - about 20 - 25 hours a week. For the until Christmas I had a day in the library a week for the project literary review, then into the project build after Christmas. Control systems was murderous, power electronics was fully doable, half theory and half calculations. The calculations are the same as the notes. A full day between those subjects and few hours during the week.

Don't be discouraged by what i'm about to say, none of these courses are easy. Its a long slog and you will feel lost a lot of the time but the Sligo class whatsapp group is an absolute godsend, it really helps with motivation and answers.

I had a L6 in electronic and computer eng form about 15 years ago, I currently work in semiconductors.

Most of the lecturers are useless, they say to send them an email for answers but you are sending an email into a black hole. Figuring the stuff out over whatsapp with the class is the only option. the course co-coordinators teach subjects, they are brilliant as is the L8 controls lecturer.

I got in done in 4 years, nobody else did. It takes a lot of dedication unfortunately

Apply ASAP, the course is normally full by march.

Mech L7 Y1 - The easiest year of the whole lot. About 8-9 hours a week for the year. SCADA was the toughest subject for me and for most of the group. Zero help from the lecturers on this on.

Mech L7 Y2 - Hardest year out of the 4 for me. Maths and control systems in the one year along with other subjects and a project to complete. about 18-25 hours a week then the project hit. Had to take a few weeks off work for that. I got grinds for maths all though the year.

Mech L8 Y1 - about 10 hours a week for the year. I got maths grinds a lot that year too, the maths steps up a level but not a huge about to the L7. few other waffly subjucts with it.

Mech L8 Y2 - about 20 - 25 hours a week. For the until Christmas I had a day in the library a week for the project literary review, then into the project build after Christmas. Control systems was murderous, power electronics was fully doable, half theory and half calculations. The calculations are the same as the notes. A full day between those subjects and few hours during the week.

Thanks for all that. You didn't sugar coat it. It sounds tough. Im glad you were fully honest tho.

Ya the maths frightens me. Haven't done anything like that since school 15 years ago.

There is a fair bit of studying to it. I was in contact with someone else friend of a friend of a friend. He said to keep on top of the course work it is tough but manageable.

We are all different & grasp things differently. Applications are open Monday so going to apply then anyway.

Ya the maths frightens me. Haven't done anything like that since school 15 years ago.

I returned to college later in life to do a degree and maths was the biggest challenge for me too. For me it was 19 years since I had studied maths. I had to get a lot of grinds but it was doable. Due to other qualifications (time served electrician + other related courses) I had an advantage in other areas so this freed up some study time.

If you are determined enough this is achievable.

At work I am finding that an increasing number of degree qualified engineers have a trade behind them.

When I served my time (early 1990) the maths required for an electrician in college was the equivalent of what I see now for Junior Certificate. I am basing that on what I see now when giving maths grinds to my kids that are doing or have done the Junior Cert. very recently.

By contrast when doing my degree we were dealing with material that I never covered when I did maths in my Leaving Cert. from the very start. It is a very different ball game. Having said that I only did pass maths in the Leaving, so that did not help.

My advice is dump your previous performances with maths.
    You will have changed + the resources available for explaining concepts compared to years back are excellent.
    Consider splitting L7 Y2 across 2 years if really worried.

Thanks 2011 & Andrea B for the posts.
    All advice is appreciated.

But ya maths 15 years ago I didn't have the head or patience for it then. Now everything can be explained through the internet if needs be + my attention span is a lot better in my mid 30s than in my mid teens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement