Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did it take you to decorate your house

Options
  • 04-02-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Im in 2 years 2 months now and still working on it.
    It's a very old house, circa 100 years, and i did a major renovation project last year with builders in for 3 months.
    I also seem to have extreme decision making difficulties.
    I have done 80% of the work in all rooms but some rooms im not happy with the paint colour and theyll have to be redone.

Friend of mine who bought a house last week is painting the whole house in one go next week and has already ordered couches floors and furniture.

How long did it take you to decorate your house and is there something wrong with me??!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

16 months in a new build and still decorating.

We’ve done the majority of it but still figuring out what we like and don’t like.

We’ve a list that we try to knock something off each month but we’re constantly adding to it to so it’s a bit of a moving feast to be honest.

Don’t be worrying about other people and what they do. A friend of mine bought recently and got the whole place done in the first 2-3 weeks and now a year later wants to change it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

4 months.
    Got the place rewired and plastered before I moved in, as it had no work done on it since the 70's.
    Then took advantage of lack of furniture to blitz the painting before the house filled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Still decorating after 7 years, the dogs and cats constantly destroy things so it's an ongoing battle...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

20 years in my house. I thought we were finished after about 18 months, but my wife thinks we are still not done :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

It never ends, go room by room and pretty sure when I get to the last one I'll be back to redo the one I started with.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Here two years this Thursday :D

The place was painted white to prep for sale, the advice everyone gave me when I moved in was to wait a year before deciding what to paint etc... WTF?! The all-white was cracking me up after a few weeks, after 6 months I painted my own room and the living room and bought a new couch to replace the scabby €50 second hand one I had to tide me over to begin with. I’ve been picking up bits of furniture bit by bit since to replace the other second hand/loaner stuff I had in the living room.

The kitchen table was left behind in the sale, it’s fine with a pretty oilcloth and the 6 secondhand chairs I was given are doing just fine for now too. The kitchen itself is awful, trying to save a bit to get the whole lot ripped out and redone but if I’m doing that I’ll be doing floors too. Downstairs is all open plan so that’ll be a big enough job.

Getting the bathroom redone in the next few weeks as it was given a slap-dash tidy up job to prep for sale. Got tiles, shower tray, door and shower unit in the sales over the last few months, just waiting on the tiler.

The garden was an overgrown mess and I’m in a mid-terrace so I spent last summer dragging an almost interminable amount of garden waste through the very narrow hall. Now that the worst of it is done I might look to paint the hallway this summer.

It sometimes feels like it’ll never end (and it probably won’t) but for the most part I’m enjoying making the place my own. Best of luck with yours.

caff wrote: »
    It never ends, go room by room and pretty sure when I get to the last one I'll be back to redo the one I started with.

Thats the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I manage a furniture shop. I've had people come in & make instant decisions, furnishing their entire house in one visit.
    I've also had customers that have called in multiple times, spending hours each time, even taking sample books home just to pick the fabric on scatter cushions... Everybody is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

We started shopping in September for all our furniture and fixtures. Got our keys on December 10th and had the house floored, painted, furnished and unpacked by December 21st last year. Would not recommend this approach as it almost resulted in an early grave for both of us :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

We're in a new build about 18 months and it's an ongoing process. House came with white goods, most tiling and we paid for our flooring, carpets, blinds etc. We had some other furniture that we had previously bought that we took from the house we rented. Then we had to get a side gate (got a dog) and garden shed. Had nearly run out of money by then but received a generous cash gift from family which allowed us to get a kitchen table and basically furnish two bedrooms. Still need to paint properly (an off white base coat is already on), sort garden, convert attic and get some built-in units for the sitting room but that will take a while. It's still a bit bare in places but happy with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement