Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 12 Leaks

Comments

will it still have the notch i will upgrading from the 6s Plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’ve had every iPhone model and the 4 was the best one loved that design. Pity about the notch I assume it will reduce in size.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

will it still have the notch i will upgrading from the 6s Plus

Some reports are saying it's being reduced into the bezel.. I guess that's a lot of hoping... but we can wish! :)

This report is the bezel / no notch claim.
    Marty Bird wrote: »
    I’ve had every iPhone model and the 4 was the best one loved that design. Pity about the notch I assume it will reduce in size.

100% man, the 4 was the last one I bough outright.. but have had them all until the 11, which I have skipped as my XS Max is grand to get me to the 12. Also, I am mid upgrade cycle with VF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭gmacww

Marty Bird wrote: »

Have to disagree. I hated the glass back. I know it's completely personal opinion but for me the 5 is still the best design they've come up with. That thing was just gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

gmacww wrote: »
    Have to disagree. I hated the glass back. I know it's completely personal opinion but for me the 5 is still the best design they've come up with. That thing was just gorgeous.

I thought the 5 was exact same as the 4 just a little taller no?

Are you sure your not talking about the 6?

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a bit bigger, but the back was stainless steal and not glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

gmacww wrote: »
    I know it's completely personal opinion but for me the 5 is still the best design they've come up with. That thing was just gorgeous.

I'd agree with you on this. I actually found my iPhone 5 recently while doing a clear out and it made me realise how good a design it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭gmacww

pad199207 wrote: »
    I thought the 5 was exact same as the 4 just a little taller no?

Are you sure your not talking about the 6?

No the 5 was a very different design.

4: Glass front and back with an alu band around the outside
    4S: Same as 4 with some very minor changes

5: Taller and thinner with a single piece alu casing for sides and back. Lightening port introduction also. A stunner in black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Being back the home button!

Gekko wrote: »

Not a fan of gestures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gekko wrote: »

No way, have the 11 since launch and don't miss the home button at all.

More screen is much better and gestures are easy and work well.

murpho999 wrote: »
    No way, have the 11 since launch and don't miss the home button at all.

More screen is much better and gestures are easy and work well.

Totally agree Murph. It'll be interesting to see if they get rid of the notch in the 12 or if it's just internet waffle.

I would have complete faith that the hardware is going to be excellent, so keeping Face ID and going with USB-C and I’d be happy enough to stick with Apple after my venture into it this time round with the 11.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I like FaceID, but prefer TouchID so I really hope it makes an appearance in the future.

USB-C, hopefully - if they did it with the iPad Pro and Macbook's I don't see why they don't do it with iPhones. Total pain having to have 2 cables / dongle.

I’d like to see both if they are going with TouchID. FaceID is just far too handy to dump.

USB-C must be a given. Everything has it now and it’s so handy on the iPad for plugging in a memory stick or something.

Agree, love FaceID 95% of the time, but TouchID was a lot easier for Apple Pay and unlocking when the phone was on a flat surface.

A sensor in the side power button would be ideal if not under screen :)

Under the screen would be great if the tech has improved. I suspect Apple never did it before because it was so bad; I had it on a P30 Pro and something else I can’t recall and it was woeful. The one in the power button works very well on the S10e and it’s very natural.

I wear a lot of hairnets and beard snoods for work in places and it’s the only time Face ID is an annoyance for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’m hoping they add a high refresh rate display to this years iPhone. After seeing the iPad Pro’s display I could instantly notice a difference. That’s top of my list.

I’m in the iPhone 4 boat too, it was by far the most striking phone of its time, still looks good even 10 years on. Hoping they bring back a similar design. Also a fan of FaceID, not having to actually physically do anything is a lot easier for me. Works 90% of the time, other time’s are mostly while it’s charging.

Don’t see how they can get rid of the notch though, even if they dropped FaceID which is unlikely there wouldn’t be anywhere for the camera. I’ve the X at the moment so having all the features from the last two phones with a new design and high refresh screen would be ok with me.

I can’t see it on the iPad Pro at all, nor could I see the 90Hz on the Pixel 4 either. I think some can and some just can’t notice the difference. They definitely all seem to be going that way though.

The idea would be the sensors and front camera housed under the screen. Oppo / Xiaomi have confirmed they are working on releasing future phones with it:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/26/18759380/under-display-selfie-camera-first-oppo-announcement

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/6/5/18654365/xiaomi-camera-under-screen-no-notch-transparent-display-technology

No doubt this is the future, but Apple are never first out with new tech - they'll be behind the other players once it's totally perfected and up to FaceID levels.

Yeah exactly, plus from what I read the camera quality is affected by having an under display camera. Apple’s front facing cameras are already a little underwhelming compared to others so I’d say they need to keep things at least level.

One other thing to keep in mind, Apple have positioned the notch as almost like a marketing tool. It’s easy to distinguish the iPhone from other phones because not many have a similar notch design. When they dropped the home button they pushed the notch as the replacement. It would be hard to see Apple completely drop it.

I see a lot of people looking to go to USB-C, clearly a lot of folks still plug their phones in.. Personally, they could get rid of it as far as I am concerned, since wireless charging and I got wireless headphone / airpods, I never use the lightning port.

I'm the same, I don't think I've used the lightning port in the last year. I'd still prefer the switch though, handy to have one universal connector in the event you need to use the cable.

• Advertisement

CarPlay needs the cable.

CarPlay needs the cable.

That's brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah its only recently started to work wirelessly with newer cars

That's brutal.

Depends on the car but the vast majority do, Android auto is the same. Usb-c would be handy for me not to have to have both cables in the car depending on which phone I’m using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I have to say I prefer fingerprint ID to Face ID. It's a cool gimmick but it's not always that easy to interact with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Xertz wrote: »
    I have to say I prefer fingerprint ID to Face ID. It's a cool gimmick but it's not always that easy to interact with.

It's a bit more than a gimmick in fairness. Very secure and works well, even in low light.

Only draw back is that touchid could be activated as you take phone out of your pocket and ready to use by the time you're viewing the phone where as with Faceid you have to view phone and then swipe up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

For me the 4 was the most striking when it was launched as it was so so superior to anything else at that time, alas Apple have gone backwards as their new phones can’t keep up with Android phones.

Can't keep up? In what regard? Apple's A Processors destroy the Snapdragons.. so I would say they're "keeping up" just fine...
    That’s bad news for Samsung. The A12 Bionic in last year’s iPhones easily outperforms the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chip in many of this year’s Android flagships, including the Galaxy S10. The A13 positively blows it away.

On the Geekbench 5 test of overall system performance, the iPhone 11 Pro hit a multi-core score of 3,509, better even than the Galaxy Note 10 (2,640).

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/iphone-11-pro-vs-galaxy-s10

The comparisons (especially benchmarks) are largely irrelevant these days. They’re all quick enough and perform well enough so it just comes down to which OS you prefer to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement