Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revival: Yay or Nay

Options
  • 01-02-2020 2:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Revival have once again requested their releases, and have rejected new contracts worth 700k a year each.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't know what WWE see in them to offer them that much.

Two of the most average looking dudes who can't do promos in a division WWE seemingly doesn't care about. Pissing away money. I wouldn't cross the street to watch them so it's not like they'd be a draw for AEW.

"But workrate though" They've worked with New Day, Usos, The Bar and haven't had a memorable match.

WWE is full to the brim with overrated crap like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

They could fit into NWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Revival have once again requested their releases, and have rejected new contracts worth 700k a year each.

Rejected 700k holy crap one of the most bland tag teams around at the min cant see them getting half that any where else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

They could fit into NWA.

The NWA do things in a way where there's a clear top star in each division and hierarchy.

Aldis in the heavyweights.

Rosa in the women's.

Stroke daddy/Aaron Stevens in the mid division.

Tag team is the one division they don't have a clear top star....but there's no chance Revival are going there. They're made for the AEW spot fest circle jerk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think everyone knows where they would go and that's exactly the reason the WWE don't want to let them go and offer them such money to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Revival had consistently great matches in NXT.

American Alpha and DIY stand out. As do the authors of pain and DIY triple threat.

Compelling stuff, great tag team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Wrestling wise there really good everything else there meh

Eventually when they go to aew after the feud with the bucks they’ll be used similar enough to the main roster run

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sirsok wrote: »
    Revival had consistently great matches in NXT.

American Alpha and DIY stand out. As do the authors of pain and DIY triple threat.

Compelling stuff, great tag team.

Year.

Them going to AEw and feuding with Lucia Bros, Young Bucks and others will be incredible.

They’ve been massively mismanaged since they got called up from NXT. Legit one of the best tag teams in the world, but because they’ve been booked horrifically, people write them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

sky88 wrote: »
    Wrestling wise there really good everything else there meh

Eventually when they go to aew after the feud with the bucks they’ll be used similar enough to the main roster run

This is just fundamentally untrue.

No-one in AEW is used similar to how the Revival have been used in their main roster run because AEW isn't presented in the same way as WWE. It doesn't have the same silly tone/ Wrestling is the primary feature of the promotion. You can portray that as a positive or a negative depending on your tastes, but it separates them from WWE.

They'll have good matches every week that will get a decent amount of time and have good finishes. On PPV's they will get on the main card and have long matches that will feel important.

I don't like the way the teams in AEW all exchange wins with such regularity but let's not pretend every Dynamite doesn't have multiple tag team matches that are given time, or that tag team wrestling is not clearly a substantially higher priority in AEW than WWE.

Monokne wrote: »

No-one in AEW is used similar to how the Revival have been used in their main roster run because AEW isn't presented in the same way as WWE. It doesn't have the same silly tone/ Wrestling is the primary feature of the promotion. You can portray that as a positive or a negative depending on your tastes, but it separates them from WWE.

They'll have good matches every week that will get a decent amount of time and have good finishes. On PPV's they will get on the main card and have long matches that will feel important.

I don't like the way the teams in AEW all exchange wins with such regularity but let's not pretend every Dynamite doesn't have multiple tag team matches that are given time, or that tag team wrestling is not clearly a substantially higher priority in AEW than WWE.

Orange Cassidy.

The Librarians.

A dinosaur and his midget pals.

Isn't Kris Statlander supposed to be alien or something?

Brandi's split personality/cult/hair collector gimmick.

The Dark Order cult.

Sonny Kiss' whole androgynous, twerking thing.

Cody receiving 10 lashes.

Should I go on? Defend AEW by all means but don't put it up on a lofty, more worthy perch when it doesn't deserve to be there.

Anyway, silly isn't a dirty word. Orange Cassidy half-raising a thumb is infinitely more entertaining than 90% of super-kicking work-rate merchants.

• Advertisement

I don't even think AEW is substantially better than WWE, nor is it on a perch. Silly is not a dirty word, and you raise fair points about their product, so I will clarify.

There are comedic aspects to AEW but broadly it's closer to NXT in tone than WWE. And crucially, in WWE, wherever you are on the card, you are still expected to engage in the silliness. Vince presents a variety show and wants to wink-wink nudge-nudge you and let you in on the silliness. He's embarrassed to present the idea that it's real within the body of the show itself to the point he's banned the word wrestling from a wrestling show. It's as important to him to present Lana-Lashley and that hot mess as it is the Edge-Orton angle.

AEW has a lot of silliness interwoven but tonally it's broadly more serious and less comedic.

Do we think the Revival will be doing this in AEW:

Reckon we'll ever see Fenix and Pentagon shaving each others backs on Dynamie?

20190429_raw_vid_revival-531603bdaea6bb995fb1c9826de9b729-1-960x540.jpg

Or how about the classic WWE standby where the babyfaces photoshop the heel into a bunch of embarrassing situations and make the audience watch the big screen, while they sit in silence as the announcers feign near death by fake laughter?

My point is that they will be presented as serious wrestlers, with a serious goal, and they'll wrestle in matches where there are actual finishes 90% or more of the time. It is not as though they were not proven successes in that role already. They were great in NXT and would be great if they went back there, so they will do just fine in AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

They have zero charisma, they are vanilla ice cream. some people like it, but that says more about the people who like vanilla ice cream than how good the actual ice cream is

You get me?

they are boring, let them go and watch them drive the crowd mild!

They have zero charisma, they are vanilla ice cream. some people like it, but that says more about the people who like vanilla ice cream than how good the actual ice cream is

You get me?

they are boring, let them go and watch them drive the crowd mild!

I find stuff like this confusing. I presume you don't/didnt watch NXT? They drove the crowd wild. I was live at a couple of their Takeover matches and the crowd were going nuts. Their tag match with DIY in Toronto was as good a tag as I've ever seen. They even got a good match out of Enzo & Cass. They are brilliant.

I don't think they are tremendous personalities nor are they particularly good on the mic. They are tremendous workers though, and that's enough to get over with most of the modern wrestling audience. They're not drawing new people in but absolutely they could tear the house down with the Bucks, Lucha bros etc.

And I love vanilla ice cream.

This isn't really news. The McMahons' contracts are public record and Shane is only contracted as a TV performer. He's still earning money, he's just off TV.

He earned $2.81 million in 2018, and given how much he wrestled in 2019, probably more than that again. He will still be getting a cheque every week now.

I don't think he's ever had a role as an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

I meet your confusion with confusion. Driving 400 people wild is very different to 20000. NXT in full sail is horrific for wrestlers, same audience every time. When they get to the main roster, they cant use the same tricks on a diff audience every week. Enzo made more money than those 2 combined, he had charisma. they do not. 'Workers' as you call them, never make the big money. They have never sold a tshirt or a ticket. Let them go anywhere, no loss at all

I find stuff like this confusing. I presume you don't/didnt watch NXT? They drove the crowd wild. I was live at a couple of their Takeover matches and the crowd were going nuts. Their tag match with DIY in Toronto was as good a tag as I've ever seen. They even got a good match out of Enzo & Cass. They are brilliant.

I don't think they are tremendous personalities nor are they particularly good on the mic. They are tremendous workers though, and that's enough to get over with most of the modern wrestling audience. They're not drawing new people in but absolutely they could tear the house down with the Bucks, Lucha bros etc.

And I love vanilla ice cream.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Moved from the News thread as this amount of posts kind of goes against the no chat (even though it really means make a thread for it if it's getting this much discussion in many ways) rule.

So The Revival Hot or Ucey Hot (Not) ?

Also Vanilla Ice cream is great!

I meet your confusion with confusion. Driving 400 people wild is very different to 20000. NXT in full sail is horrific for wrestlers, same audience every time. When they get to the main roster, they cant use the same tricks on a diff audience every week. Enzo made more money than those 2 combined, he had charisma. they do not. 'Workers' as you call them, never make the big money. They have never sold a tshirt or a ticket. Let them go anywhere, no loss at all

The matches that I referred to took place in front of the sold out Air Canada Centre which is 18,000 seats, and the sold out o2 arena in London in front of 12,000 people. Also worth noting the match in the air canada centre was the night before survivor series in the same building and got much bigger reactions than anything on that show.

I am not suggesting WWE keep them. Vince can’t use people with their skillset well but then again you can say that about almost anybody these days unless they are a monster. WWEs only reason to keep them is to stockpile talent so AEW can’t have them.

If they walk away from all that money l would be somewhat surprised. I can’t believe AEW can pay them that much so they would be putting job satisfaction ahead of financial security.

We're in an era where 75% of WWE's roster are probably capable of putting on a banger of a match.

So many more teams can do what The Revival does with more razzle dazzle and charisma.

And like it or not, wrestling is about appearance too and you wouldn't even look twice at those two if they passed you in the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

give them back their mechanic gimmick and have the mechanics vs the butcher and the blade in AEW haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

700k each!? thats crazy.
    Geez take the money lads. They wouldn't get that in AEW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

1000 % Yay. There are old school tag team wrestling but in a modern time. They are my favourite Tag team at the moment and regardless of where they end up i'll still be a fan as they do Tag team wrestling correctly and not like the dog and pony show stuff that happens in most american wrestling promotions including WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lord TSC wrote: »

It's incredible that people who ZERO people are paying to see would get paid that much. I like their old school tag antics but I wouldn't miss them if they weren't around. I guess you'd only leave for creative fulfillment, but if I were them, I'd take the 700k and save, save, save.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I think they would be crazy to turn that money down myself, even if it means more great stuff like shaving each others backs.

As a fan though I would love to see them outside of WWE. Lucha Bros, Bucks, G.O.D, Roppongi 3K, Rascalz, Villain Enterprises, Strong Hearts, Contra Unit, Injustice etc., the possibilities are endless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

700k each!? thats crazy.
    Geez take the money lads. They wouldn't get that in AEW.

There's not a hope that's each is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

Nay for me completely

A reminder that Gallows and Anderson are also getting paid 700k each - this is from Ryan Satin, who works on the WWE on Fox show, Meltzer, and Mike Johnson of PWInsider so it is well sourced.

Say what you want about the Revival, but they have much better matches than those two.

Neither team is worth $1.4 million a year but then given there are maybe 3 or 4 actual difference makers in the industry, you can hit almost anyone on the roster with that stick.

We are no longer in the era where WWE wrestlers are paid to draw money. They are almost all paid purely to be characters on a TV show and a live event act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Maybe having 300+ people on the roster but only being able to push like 12 acts, is why WWE are getting record low ratings. Paying wrestlers to keep from being in other companies is both hurting WWE and the fans who watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

J. Marston wrote: »
    We're in an era where 75% of WWE's roster are probably capable of putting on a banger of a match.

So many more teams can do what The Revival does with more razzle dazzle and charisma.

And like it or not, wrestling is about appearance too and you wouldn't even look twice at those two if they passed you in the street.

I think it is noreworthy the matches that people are remembering were in NXT, at special events.

Key word special. Crowd were primed, viewers were primed, matches were booked in a certain way to deliver those pleasing bouts.

What made NXT special was the way they set out to have those matches but also the sense that such matches would never happen again in WWE. They were of the moment and must see.

I also agree, with your point that a high number of WWE contracted people could have been in the matches in their place.

To be fair to the two lads they were the ones there and if that is what they want more of they will never get it in WWE again.

What happens in AEW or now NXT has ruined itself with the 2 hour weekly shows, they produce certain type of matches that no longer feel special. In NXT for example, last week Priest and Dijakovic had a stupid match that bordered on a parody, the type of match that featured big spots for the sake of them.

In the same week we had Edge and Orton showing the very best of wrestling that draws people into a feud. Words, interaction, an RKO and a prop, it was perfect.

Booker knows:

EP9_5G0X4AAHi33?format=png&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Book is right.
    Here's the thing I always felt about wrestling... It's all about the money. Don't get me wrong. Accolades are nice. Achievements are nice.
    But when you are 55 and your knees are rattling that bank balance is going to make it all worth it. So you can look after your family. Put your kids through college.

Advertisement