Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE 2020: Meath East

Options
  • 04-02-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

The twelve candidates in Meath East are
    Joe Bonner (Ind),
    Thomas Byrne (FF),
    Regina Doherty (FG),
    Deirdre Geraghty Smith (FF),
    Annie Hoey (Lab),
    Andrew Keegan (Sold PBP),
    Sharon Keogan (Ind),
    Sean McCabe (Green Party),
    Seamus McDonagh (Workers Party),
    Helen McEntee (FG),
    Darren O'Rourke (SF) and
    Emer Toibin (Aontu).

The outgoing TDs in this three seat constituency are Fine Gael ministers Regina Doherty and Helen McEntee as well as Fianna Fáil’s education spokesman Thomas Byrne. At the last election in 2016, Fine Gael polled a combined 35 per cent, with Fianna Fáil on 26 per cent. Sinn Féin’s Darren O’Rourke lost out to Doherty for the last seat.

What do people think will happen this time around? I think SF might gain a seat at the expense of one of the FG canidates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Byrne, McEntee, and Bonner in my opinion.

Byrne will sail in. Far to much FF backing in the area to not get in. FG don't have enough to maintain 2 seats and McEntee too strong for Doherty. O'Rourke off to Europe in a few weeks so that should impact his ability to get elected. Leaving it down to the 2 independents for the 3rd seat. Bonner is the far stronger of the independents in my opinion so I think he'll just about squeeze the last spot but it'll be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Byrne
    McEntee
    Geraghty Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

How strong is McEntee? I'd guess she's the safest but not sure, parts of the constituency are in open revolt against FG from what I'm seeing.

bladespin wrote: »
    How strong is McEntee? I'd guess she's the safest but not sure, parts of the constituency are in open revolt against FG from what I'm seeing.

I'd completely agree about the open revolt against FG and I don't think you can blame them either. That is why I think they'll lose a seat but I think they'll only lose the 1. I think it's McEntee's strength that gets them the seat in behind Byrne. She has a very loyal following that I think will see her through easily despite the FG connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Prediction is Byrne, McIntee, O'Rourke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Byrne, McEntee, O'Rourke would be my guess.

FG taking a pasting and Doherty is little more than a mouthpiece for the civil service, and while the same could be argued against McEntee the DFA are playing a blinder.

Bonner and Hannigan had half O'Rourke's 1st preference last day out and SF's tide appears to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭This is it

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Byrne
    McEntee
    Geraghty Smith

Would be very surprised to see Geraghty Smith get in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

O'Rourke looks a lock, the rest... *shrug*

https://twitter.com/RTEmeathEAST/status/1226471062470352897

TheChrisD wrote: »
    O'Rourke looks a lock, the rest... *shrug*

https://twitter.com/RTEmeathEAST/status/1226471062470352897

Yeah, it's all to play for in the hunt for that 2nd and 3rd seat. The SF backlash country wide is quite amazing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Byrne, McEntee, O'Rourke would be my guess.

FG taking a pasting and Doherty is little more than a mouthpiece for the civil service, and while the same could be argued against McEntee the DFA are playing a blinder.

Bonner and Hannigan had half O'Rourke's 1st preference last day out and SF's tide appears to be in.

Good prediction there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement