Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭MB05

adrian92 wrote: »
    Excellent point.

I have given my email to my bank.

I should have asked the bank why they wish to have my email?

Perhaps the same has happened to others or I am stupid?

I know Ulster Bank send emails similar to Paypal etc saying your latest statement is ready or in the case of the recently updated online security measures banks would have forewarned their customers to log on to their accounts and make sure their details were up to date as your phone would now be used to verify transactions you are making on your online account.

Your email address is just like your home address to me. If you do things electronically your notifications are sent to your email account. If you request paper notifications they are posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

To me email's the best way for bank notifications, as for many other messages (fast but not an interruption). I think Ulster Bank's make a point of not containg links (can't see at the mo, due to inbox deletions), though I always go to their website.(among some others) by typing in the URL anyway (it's about as short as any).

I might equally choose SMS (if it's an option), but maybe not if I was in public places a lot.

Some of my websites are taking several days so far to update. Once the crucial ones are done, maybe a good idea to next start the process at any remembered as slow to sign up at in the first place!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Absolute rubbish to suggest folks are "using the internet inefficiently" if they try to send file attachments larger than 18MB...

I have to disagree. Email is a horribly inefficient file sharing mechanism. If you need to share large files, there are much, much better ways to do so.

True, but email is still the easiest way for small files between many people.

I never did seem able to send any attachment directly from eircom/eir webmail though (no problem via a 3rd-party viewer, for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have to disagree. Email is a horribly inefficient file sharing mechanism. If you need to share large files, there are much, much better ways to do so.
    If you read the full paragraph I said "and correlate that with the high prices charged by US ISPs".

I reject the assertion that "inefficient use" of email will drive us towards US prices.

I agree that email was not designed for, and is not efficient for, sharing files. Nonetheless it is useful for small single documents which is what most folks would be using it for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

To the topic at hand, I wonder if the move to charge would coincide with outsourcing the email operation entirely to, for example, Google and the fee is just recovering the per-user fees involved.

BT outsourced their old IOL / Ocean / etc emails to Blacknight last year, Blacknight will start charging sometime this year but will have given a year free at that stage.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Blah. The old business email is on Eir been using our own for maybe 6 years but still get a few quotes in on the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Trying to send email using my @eircom.net address from my iPhone using cellular (Vodafone) is not working and no error message.

My SMTP settings are mail.iol.ie port 25 SSL off

Anyone else experiencing issues? What SMTP settings are you using?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My eircom account has been dead for a couple of weeks now. Just won't log in. A few people I know are in the same boat. Contacting Eir over this seems to be a totally pointless exercise.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Trying to send email using my @eircom.net address from my iPhone using cellular (Vodafone) is not working and no error message.

Why are you using an IOL server?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

notahappycamper; could it just be a dip in your cellular signal?

Why are you using an IOL server?

As Vodafone have stopped their relay since 2018 and the IOL one worked.

I subsequently changed to Eir’s mail1.eircom.net and it’s working over Vodafone cellular. Will test tonight over Vodafone broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

BT outsourced their old IOL / Ocean / etc emails to Blacknight last year, Blacknight will start charging sometime this year but will have given a year free at that stage.

We haven't made a final decision on that yet.

We will let people know in advance if we do decide to start charging this year

Michele

mneylon wrote: »
    We haven't made a final decision on that yet.

We will let people know in advance if we do decide to start charging this year

Michele

Thanks for the update. I was basing that on the email I got when the service transferred over.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Yes. Same with me, and probably many more

adrian92 wrote: »
    Yes. Same with me, and probably many more

Using mail1.eircom.net works for me on cellular with Vodafone but not on their home broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Thanks for the update. I was basing that on the email I got when the service transferred over.
    Fair enough.
    We basically said we'd offer it free for at least a year, so we'll let you all know if there's any changes.

Michele

Internet down all day here. Wondered if it was a countrywide congestion problem, and there seems a consensus that it is (as far as I can tell from the people with any leisure to post on Boards!).

If it stays this congested, I wonder if eir will consider deferring the eircom.net deadline? Especially as some of the most vulnerable people now are the most likely to be on the old addresses (and some might still have not heard about it). I don't know how much the healthcare system uses email to contact patients, but would guess that many of the addresses they might have are eircom.net ones.

No cellular signal here this morning either, but it's recovered enough (for the moment) to use cellular data for slow internet in one room.

Our internet came back sometime after 5.50, just the date & time I guessed it would be busiest! (Maybe the systems are more robust than I realised).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

I think they are all shut down now. A few months ago I used a third party outgoing server called SMTP2GO. Worked well and free for basic amounts of email. But have since moved to outlook.com and changed my email address altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Despite changing it a couple of weeks back had an email today from our electric company on the eircom address I had previously used.

Went back to the site to see if the change had somehow not been done but the contact email is listed as the gmail one I switched it over to.

I guess parts of their system haven't been updated yet.

The username for the account was the old eircom address which might explain why they were still sending to that but I've now changed that as well (didn't spot it could be changed before).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This webmail charge is being put on hold due to the COVID-19 situation so gives everyone a bit more time to cancel this account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Eir website has updated change of date the charge will apply

In order to provide a better service we will charge €5.99 from the 2nd April 2020.

https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

paulboland wrote: »
    Eir website has updated change of date the charge will apply

In order to provide a better service we will charge €5.99 from the 2nd April 2020.

https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions/

i thought it was from end of March anyway?

Either they think 2 days are going to make all the difference or it's one of their mistypes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

It’s such a chaotic time for eircom to be disconnecting people from their email addresses and their contacts.

they couldn’t have chosen a worse time. It’s very upsetting and disruptive for older people

They should really reconsider this move. It won’t be forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I cannot access my eircom email.
    Perhaps a local issue.
    I wonder have anyone else experienced this difficculity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Given the current state of the planet and of its commerce, that this €5.99 thread is still going is, at best, amusing.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

The main issue now is that eir DEFINITELY DID NOT INFORM all its eircom.net users of the fact that their email address would be removed if they did not sign up for the new service.
    Many eircom.net users are not aware of this change.

It would be most irresponsible of eir if they proceeded with this change under the present circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Is eircom email actually working? Sent out mails to some friends and all delivered, except for the @eircom ones - returned saying server error.

Advertisement