Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Yes, vinby. And it was the main issue from the start.

That and their ambiguity. E.g. saying all customers 'should have' received an email notification; not clarifying for the non business-minded that 'customer' meant 'people paying us for something', then many of those not getting the email either.

Just like during the last eircom.net policy change about 2 years back. I needed to know what exactly 'access your account' meant in order to to stop ours vanishing. They had a public forum back then (and I dislike giving up especially with possible public interest), but it still took me 2 or 3 weeks to find out. They were obviously not giving their reps enough info - just letting them take the flak. (Meaning some people were still in the dark about that until they tried to take steps about the current shakeup and found their email gone)

I'm lucky, as my husband heard about this one down the pub fairly soon after it was 'announced', because someone had happened on it on a local news website. But I still couldn't resist a rant!

Bow Wow; maybe your friends have migrated to new addresses but not had the time to update all their friends yet? (Most people must have a lot on their plate at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

In light of the COVID-19 outbreak eir has decided to put eircom.net email subscriptions charges on hold
    19/03/2020
    eir has taken the decision to put the subscription charge for the eircom.net email service on hold for the foreseeable future. This means there will be no change to how customers access their eircom.net emails. Our priority during these challenging times is the maintenance of essential communication services for all eir customers.

https://www.eir.ie/support/latest-updates/in-light-of-the-covid-19-outbreak-eir-has-decided-to-put-eircom.net-email-subscriptions-charges-on-hold/

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Dinarius wrote: »
    Given the current state of the planet and of its commerce, that this €5.99 thread is still going is, at best, amusing.

D.[/quote

Point taken, but the tapestry of life continues

Has anyone difficultie accessing eircom email?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭MB05

adrian92 wrote: »

No, seems to be working for me anyway. I checked both my phone and on my laptop and I can access it and I've been getting emails.

In the last few weeks I got the odd error message on my laptop but it's more like a bad command than a problem logging in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

manutd wrote: »
    In light of the COVID-19 outbreak eir has decided to put eircom.net email subscriptions charges on hold
    19/03/2020
    eir has taken the decision to put the subscription charge for the eircom.net email service on hold for the foreseeable future. This means there will be no change to how customers access their eircom.net emails. Our priority during these challenging times is the maintenance of essential communication services for all eir customers.

CNUTS! Just when I'd finished moving over to gmail after using the same eircom account for 25 years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

You've all had your warnings! They've only postponed. Nothing free was ever going to last forever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭trumptheman

GinSoaked wrote: »
    CNUTS! Just when I'd finished moving over to gmail after using the same eircom account for 25 years :(

You were going to have to do it the next few months anyway. At least you have it out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

adrian92 wrote: »

Cannot access it this morning. Saying my username or password are wrong, which they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

jay0109 wrote: »
    Cannot access it this morning. Saying my username or password are wrong, which they aren't.

Yeah, same here. At this stage I’ve moved everything to a different email address and closed the account off my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Yes, same here.

Is it a system problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

dixiefly wrote: »
    Yes, same here.

Is it a system problem?

Gmail can no longer connect to import email. Maybe Eir will fix it....

SSL Security Error.
    Server returned error "SSL error: No path found from the leaf certificate to any root. Maybe an int..."

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Same here, down yet again.

Still down (username or password not recognised).
    I'm what they call an ex 'broadband' customer - are current customers seeing the same?

Anyone in business who has an eircom.net address says the following to me:
    • Totally technophobic
    • Won't actually answer an e-mail if you send them one
    • Wants everything for free
    • Will try to screw you on price
    • Either won't pay at all or be so slow paying it actually costs you money working with them

So yeah maybe they do a great job at a great price for their clients but I haven't seen it. I prefer someone with no email at all.

If your e-mail is so important to your business then surely 5.99 / month is not a huge issue.

If it is, you don't have much of a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Working ok for me now

Thanks jay - back working for me too (just an ordinary glitch then).

But given their announcent just before the current one that the deadline would be deferred for two days, I was holding off passing on the new one to my friends, in case some unfortunate employee had pressed the wrong Delete button! Facebook was crashing my phone last night (some problem at their end), but eir's announcement feels all the more real for being unchanged since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Anyone in business who has an eircom.net address says the following to me:
    • Totally technophobic
    • Won't actually answer an e-mail if you send them one
    • Wants everything for free
    • Will try to screw you on price
    • Either won't pay at all or be so slow paying it actually costs you money working with them

So yeah maybe they do a great job at a great price for their clients but I haven't seen it. I prefer someone with no email at all.

If your e-mail is so important to your business then surely 5.99 / month is not a huge issue.

If it is, you don't have much of a business.

I'd agree 100% on your first point but people like to stick to one email address and not change it.

That can only be the reason for companies that have a website with their own domain name and still have an eircom contact address.

jay0109 wrote: »
    Working ok for me now
    65535 wrote: »
    What's cancelled? (Stiil feeling a bit on guard!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

eir has taken the decision to put the subscription charge for the eircom.net email service on hold for the foreseeable future. This means there will be no changes to how eircom.net email customers access their emails - our priority during these challenging times is the maintenance of essential communication services for all eir customers.

So it's not putting the change on hold for the forseeable future that's cancelled? (Sorry if I wasn't clear - just wanted to double-check!)

Seems that some of us can still access eir email.
    Many others not possible.

Some inconsistencies from Eir

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah, mine's still borked. Has been for weeks, but at least I moved what little traffic was going to it to my own domain. Kinda kept it outa habit. Got shot of the muppets for all services. Good riddance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Motor Tax On-Line have a popup now for anyone with an eir email address who wishes to change it to a new email address.

46853ddbc4.JPG

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Thats good to know ,assuming we don't have to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Motor Tax On-Line have a popup now for anyone with an eir email address who wishes to change it to a new email address.
    I tried to change the Eir email but system came back with "online taxing not for available for this vehicle".
    Strange as it's been taxed online since it was bought? :confused:
    Anybody else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I tried to change the Eir email but system came back with "online taxing not for available for this vehicle".
    Strange as it's been taxed online since it was bought? :confused:
    Anybody else have this problem?

Worked for me and was sent a pin, though don't need to tax 'till end of year.

However, that, I think was the last one I had to change from Eircom to new address. Hopefully, now totally free from Eircom except for mountain of spam I still get, but I think I can now delete eircom address, if I can work out how

I couldn't log in either when I did it; had been taxing online for years and got the same message about online taxing not available for my vehicle. Think logging in must only become available however many weeks in advance it can be taxed.

I found somewhere that their website only has the option to change postal address and/or phone number. I emailed them using the contact address that's visible without logging in, explaining this and giving my old and new email address, and got a prompt reply confirming they'd done it for me. (Sounded like it's the normal way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You never could login to Motor TAX On-Line while you still had a valid TAX disc. Only when your tax is due to expire can you login.

The pop up for changing your eir email states that you click on the "Forgot Password" link, not try to login.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement