Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

65535 wrote: »
    eir has taken the decision to put the subscription charge for the eircom.net email service on hold for the foreseeable future. This means there will be no changes to how eircom.net email customers access their emails - our priority during these challenging times is the maintenance of essential communication services for all eir customers.

Mine no longer works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Mine still working this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Dear eircom.net user,

eir has taken the decision to put the subscription charge for the eircom.net email service on hold for the foreseeable future. This means there will be no changes to how you access your emails.

Our priority during these challenging times is the maintenance of essential communication services for all eir customers.

For more information please visit www.eir.ie/email

Regards
    The eir webmail team

Got emailed this morning. "Foreseeable Future".........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Mine still working this morning.

Just checking!!!

Are you trying to access via eircom.net? This address doesn't reroute to eir.ie any longer! I have to access this way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Spouse got one of those emails from eir today (and it's 14 years since we stopped being their "broadband" customers).

Better late than never I suppose, for those who've been out of the country etc and assumed they'd missed the boat (and for some who never heard about this whole thing to start with, probably).

Wonder whose "foreseeable" this future is? (Hopefully not eir's!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would imagine to do with how long covid-19 is around then it may be removed.

prodsc wrote: »
    Just checking!!!

Are you trying to access via eircom.net? This address doesn't reroute to eir.ie any longer! I have to access this way!!

Yes Eircom.net the same way i always have, funny just got a email from Eircom telling me the fees are now suspended due to covid19, i never got a email telling there was going to be a charge in the first place.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I would imagine to do with how long covid-19 is around then it may be removed.

Yes, but couldn't help picturing eir's usual thinking ahead could shorten this amnesty considerably. (Whiskey in the house unusually, clarity and good taste out the window - sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

... funny just got a email from Eircom telling me the fees are now suspended due to covid19, i never got a email telling there was going to be a charge in the first place.

I got the same! No initial email about the charges, just one to tell me it had been suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

It looks like eir this time sent email to all eircom net address

With subscription idea suspended for now it's no longer an issue but they will need to contact all eircom net email address again if this changes at a later date

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

paulboland wrote: »

With subscription idea suspended for now it's no longer an issue but they will need to contact all eircom net email address again if this changes at a later date

It looks that way but no, first time around my wife got the info about charging and this time around she's heard nothing but I got the info about postponing charging :rolleyes: both emails I set up on one account.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

paulboland wrote: »

I got neither one.

Still getting the daily cryptocurrency spam though.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Neither of us got the original email, only Spouse got the recent one (later than most have reported here). Both long-time ex customers.

Though the pressure's off, I've gone back to finishing the email updating. I put it aside due to a health issue, promptly complicated by start of coronavirus crisis. With said health issue issue now in the lap of the Gods, I'm determined to get out of at least this bracket!

Hotblack; though eir/eircom was flooded with spam in the early days, I've found it pretty good at filtering in recent years (with just the occasional false positive). Maybe I've just been lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone having issues getting into their eircom email for the past week or two? Reset password, but it's not taking it 24 hours later, even though the page said it'd only take 40 minutes!

Slightly different point but Eir no longer will accept payment over the telephone.

I must go to the post office to pay my bill - against health guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

adrian92 wrote: »
    Slightly different point but Eir no longer will accept payment over the telephone.

I must go to the post office to pay my bill - against health guidelines

Or you could pay by direct debit or bank transfer. Wasn't there also an online an post service (haven't looked at it for years), where you can pay your bill ?

Giving them your payment details over the phone is a huge risk now, because most if not all their staff are working from home. So they have no control over, what the employee does with your credit card details. Can you see the implications of that ?

Three and many other providers won't do it either anymore. With Three you can now only pay your bill online via their web portal, if you don't pay by direct debit. And that's because of the fraud risk, that is involved.

You made a choice, not to opt for an automated payment method, even though SEPA now guarantees, that you can pull the payment back for 3 months after. The consequences of that is, that you now have to go to the post office.

Edit: found it .... just a google search away: Found it: https://www.mybills.ie/

There is no excuse for using up valuable support staff time with manual payments over the phone, when they are short staffed as it is.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Or you could pay by direct debit or bank transfer. Wasn't there also an online an post service (haven't looked at it for years), where you can pay your bill ?

Giving them your payment details over the phone is a huge risk now, because most if not all their staff are working from home. So they have no control over, what the employee does with your credit card details. Can you see the implications of that ?

Three and many other providers won't do it either anymore. With Three you can now only pay your bill online via their web portal, if you don't pay by direct debit. And that's because of the fraud risk, that is involved.

You made a choice, not to opt for an automated payment method, even though SEPA now guarantees, that you can pull the payment back for 3 months after. The consequences of that is, that you now have to go to the post office.

Edit: found it .... just a google search away: Found it: https://www.mybills.ie/

There is no excuse for using up valuable support staff time with manual payments over the phone, when they are short staffed as it is.

/M

Many thanks, Marlow, for your help. I'll follow up your suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Boarder Man

Here's the direct link to confirm the change in plans:
    https://www.eir.ie/support/latest-updates/in-light-of-the-covid-19-outbreak-eir-has-decided-to-put-eircom.net-email-subscriptions-charges-on-hold/

I never got the first email, but did receive the more recent one about the subscription plans being cancelled for now. Weird how inconsistent this is for different people, with some getting one, the other, both, or neither emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Here's the direct link to confirm the change in plans:
    https://www.eir.ie/support/latest-updates/in-light-of-the-covid-19-outbreak-eir-has-decided-to-put-eircom.net-email-subscriptions-charges-on-hold/

I never got the first email, but did receive the more recent one about the subscription plans being cancelled for now. Weird how inconsistent this is for different people, with some getting one, the other, both, or neither emails.

For anyone who didn't get an email this is back on again from the 1st of July.
    Dear eircom.net user,

Earlier this year we contacted you to inform you of the introduction of a €5.99 monthly subscription for the use of eircom.net webmail. This monthly subscription will commence from the 1st of July 2020 and will be rolled out to customers on a phased basis. This means you can only sign up once access to your account has been restricted, which will happen between 1st of July and the 15th of July 2020.

Once you sign up you will have access to your new webmail account and will be able to send and receive emails, it may take up to 2 hours for your old emails to migrate across to your new account.

Please note if you are using an email client such as outlook you will need to log in through the eir.ie/email page to sign up to the new service.

If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service you can download your eircom.net email data to your personal storage before the 1st of July 2020, as you will no longer have access to the old service. You will have 60 days to sign up to the new service after the 1st of July 2020 before your email address, account and its data is permanently removed, this step is not reversible once complete.

For more information please visit eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions
    This notice is on top of the 30 and 60 days notice provided earlier this year.

Regards
    The eir webmail team

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

email mentioned by Mormegil in post 380 not received by either of the eircom.net users in this household, and presumably also not received by many other users.

• Advertisement

Nope - thank you Mormegil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Two accounts here..no notification of imposing charges!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think you will find that eir will be a bit more subtle this time, on the website I clicked on webmail and got the following.

https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions-00001/

I am in the process of migrating away from eir webmail before 30th June.

I got no new email either but I am not surprised.

i am trying to change my email address on motortax.ie from eircom.net following instructions but keep getting,
    This vehicle is not eligible for online taxing. Please contact your local motor tax office.
    anyone else have this problem?
    i also have not received any email from Eircom on update on when they will start charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

disgrace of a company..

i am trying to change my email address on motortax.ie from eircom.net following instructions but keep getting,
    This vehicle is not eligible for online taxing. Please contact your local motor tax office.
    i also have not received any email from Eircom on update on when they will start charging.

You request a new PIN as far as I can remember, and you can change your email address at that stage.

Got no updated information from eir about the July changes, but it might have gone to spam!

I managed to change email on my wife's car,which had got reminder by email as her tax is up at end of month, guessing i couldn't change email address on my car because its not due for renewal yet.

Yes - plenty of us got thrown off track, as we can't log in to motor tax online until our earliest date for paying in advance, and are locked out again the moment we've paid it. But we can get our email address changed without logging in, by emailing them.

As their 'change of personal details' link is only re postal address or surname (and requires sending our registration certificate in the post for replacement), I emailed them asking how to do our email addresses, and got their standard initial reply, with the same selection of links that are on their public website. A few emails (and non-sequiturs!) later, it transpired that down below the links in that standard reply (where I'd assumed it would just be data protection statements etc), there's an instruction to reply to 'this email' to get a specific (individual) response. That mattered as it turned out, as it came from an email address that was slightly different from their public contact one (which I only noticed much later!).

Anyway, the key is to contact them at the email address published on the website (from any email address convenient to you). This is only to get the automatic reply to that address, so no details needed yet, and I guess any brief query would do (maybe even a bit of gibberish). Then replying directly to this auto reply enables requesting a change of email address. As well as the old and new email addresses, they need the car registration number, and name and postal address of the registered owner as they appear in the registration book (which should save unnecessary emails all round). Once they've done it they send confirmation to the new email address. (I sent my reply about 9pm and got their confirmation about 9 the following morning; that was before the lockdown, but at least it means the only delay should be any that the lockdown may be causing).

My old eircom address is on my registration book, and there was no mention of email addresses in the online info re informing the registration department. But I don't think it matters (guess email addresses are just too fleeting for the authorities to bother with, and more so with eircom.net ones!).

This screen is displayed when you open motortax.ie and tells you how to change your email address

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    This screen is displayed when you open motortax.ie and tells you how to change your email address

Yes seen that, but you cant do it until your tax is near due.

Advertisement