Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got the email today!, someone on here from eircom:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Marlow wrote: »
    Or you could pay by direct debit or bank transfer. Wasn't there also an online an post service (haven't looked at it for years), where you can pay your bill ?

Giving them your payment details over the phone is a huge risk now, because most if not all their staff are working from home. So they have no control over, what the employee does with your credit card details. Can you see the implications of that ?

Three and many other providers won't do it either anymore. With Three you can now only pay your bill online via their web portal, if you don't pay by direct debit. And that's because of the fraud risk, that is involved.

You made a choice, not to opt for an automated payment method, even though SEPA now guarantees, that you can pull the payment back for 3 months after. The consequences of that is, that you now have to go to the post office.

Edit: found it .... just a google search away: Found it: https://www.mybills.ie/

There is no excuse for using up valuable support staff time with manual payments over the phone, when they are short staffed as it is.

/M

you can also pay by calling 1901 and follow the recorded prompt for your phone number/account number/bank details.. You type them on the phone keypad when prompted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Yes seen that, but you cant do it until your tax is near due.

I did it about 2 months ago for a car due to be taxed in July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

gipi wrote: »
    I did it about 2 months ago for a car due to be taxed in July
    Changed my wife's car which is due end of this month , but my car due end of July, no joy will try nearer date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Got the email this morning. 15 years worth of mails to sort and change to Gmail by July 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Parents not received the email, but will have to look to migrate them elsewhere.

Currently they get their emails via Outlook, which is handy and straightforward for them to use on the home computer.

In terms of an alternative, what is the best choice? Gmail?
    Can Gmail be set up to have emails come through Outlook?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Parents not received the email, but will have to look to migrate them elsewhere.

Currently they get their emails via Outlook, which is handy and straightforward for them to use on the home computer.

In terms of an alternative, what is the best choice? Gmail?
    Can Gmail be set up to have emails come through Outlook?

Thanks

Yes Gmail can be setup as in Outlook
    All you need is email address and password of Gmail account

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

This is going ahead now, from 1st July
    Eircom wrote:
    Earlier this year we contacted you to inform you of the introduction of a €5.99 monthly subscription for the use of eircom.net webmail. This monthly subscription will commence from the 1st of July 2020 and will be rolled out to customers on a phased basis. This means you can only sign up once access to your account has been restricted, which will happen between 1st of July and the 15th of July 2020.

Once you sign up you will have access to your new webmail account and will be able to send and receive emails, it may take up to 2 hours for your old emails to migrate across to your new account.

Please note if you are using an email client such as outlook you will need to log in through the eir.ie/email page to sign up to the new service.

If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service you can download your eircom.net email data to your personal storage before the 1st of July 2020, as you will no longer have access to the old service. You will have 60 days to sign up to the new service after the 1st of July 2020 before your email address, account and its data is permanently removed, this step is not reversible once complete.

For more information please visit eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions
    This notice is on top of the 30 and 60 days notice provided earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Spocker wrote: »
    This is going ahead now, from 1st July

Earlier this year we contacted you to inform you of the introduction of a €5.99 monthly subscription for the use of eircom.net webmail. This monthly subscription will commence from the 1st of July 2020 and will be rolled out to customers on a phased basis. This means you can only sign up once access to your account has been restricted, which will happen between 1st of July and the 15th of July 2020.

Once you sign up you will have access to your new webmail account and will be able to send and receive emails, it may take up to 2 hours for your old emails to migrate across to your new account.

Please note if you are using an email client such as outlook you will need to log in through the eir.ie/email page to sign up to the new service.

If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service you can download your eircom.net email data to your personal storage before the 1st of July 2020, as you will no longer have access to the old service. You will have 60 days to sign up to the new service after the 1st of July 2020 before your email address, account and its data is permanently removed, this step is not reversible once complete.

For more information please visit eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions
    This notice is on top of the 30 and 60 days notice provided earlier this year.

I got that message for the first time today. I thought/hoped it was a phishing scam exercise.

I left Eircom years ago but kept the e-mail address: first with BT and then with Virgin Media. I pay for my internet services with Virgin Media. But I take it I will have to pay Eir to continue with the same e-mail account and address. This seems grossly unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

An alternatine to Gmail would be an outlook.com or an outlook.ie email address which work well and are very easy to set up in Outlook Desktop, Mail for Windows 10 and the Outlook Phone App

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

vinby wrote: »
    An alternatine to Gmail would be an outlook.com or an outlook.ie email address which work well and are very easy to set up in Outlook Desktop, Mail for Windows 10 and the Outlook Phone App

Thanks, is it much of a muchness between a Gmail & Outlook account?

Would outlook have more spam/junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

I would consider outlook as having less privacy concerns than Gmail.
    However check online for outlook versus gmail comparisons

If Thunderbird is removed from internet will it retain all the eircom mails. Or do they have to be copied to a local folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

What about hotmail.com? Would that work okay as a viable alternative, considering you want to import your own e-mails and your contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I got that message for the first time today. I thought/hoped it was a phishing scam exercise.

I left Eircom years ago but kept the e-mail address: first with BT and then with Virgin Media. I pay for my internet services with Virgin Media. But I take it I will have to pay Eir to continue with the same e-mail account and address. This seems grossly unfair.

Why?

I pay Tesco for my milk so the pub should give me free beer?
    What about hotmail.com? Would that work okay as a viable alternative, considering you want to import your own e-mails and your contacts?

Dunno why you'd go to hotmail over Gmail. If you're super privacy concerned pick someone like Proton, otherwise Gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Does the email charge apply to existing eir customers with home phone/broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Does the email charge apply to existing eir customers with home phone/broadband?

Yes it also applies to existing eir customers with home phone/broadband

The €5.99 a month charge from July 1st applies to anyone who wants to keep their eircom email address active

You need to login using eir webmail on eir website from July 1 to July 14th to setup payment

Details in link below
    https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions-00001/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Surprised it took them so long to do this.

Standard practice to charge for email accounts that don't monetise it other ways - google put adverts/promotions and use the tracking data to sell to third parties (read the agreement - its scary what you agree to)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Does this only apply to "Webmail" or does it also apply if you use Outlook to access an Eircom.net address? Their website refers to "Webmail" not "Email". For example: "Why are eir charging for Webmail? In order to provide a better service we will charge €5.99 from 1st July."
    I am not familiar with the technical terms, and I don't know if they mean all use of eircom.net email addresses or only eir webmail.

I never got any email about this the first time around, and I didn't get any this time either. I use Outlook.

P.S. In any case I am already set up with another email address which I have now added to Outlook. So all my old eircom.net emails will still be there for reference, and I am using the new address now, and informing contacts and companies of the change. It's very easy to click into either the old account or the new one in Outlook whenever required.
    The reason for doing this was because my eircom.net sent emails were getting blocked as spam, but it is just as well now if the eir charges are going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

emanresu wrote: »
    Does this only apply to "Webmail" or does it also apply if you use Outlook to access an Eircom.net address? Their website refers to "Webmail" not "Email". For example: "Why are eir charging for Webmail? In order to provide a better service we will charge €5.99 from 1st July."
    I am not familiar with the technical terms, and I don't know if they mean all use of eircom.net email addresses or only eir webmail.

I never got any email about this the first time around, and I didn't get any this time either. I use Outlook.

The charge will apply to the use of an eircom.net or eir.net email address regardless of how you access it.

• Advertisement

emanresu wrote: »

P.S. In any case I am already set up with another email address which I have now added to Outlook. So all my old eircom.net emails will still be there for reference, and I am using the new address now, and informing contacts and companies of the change. It's very easy to click into either the old account or the new one in Outlook whenever required.
    The reason for doing this was because my eircom.net sent emails were getting blocked as spam, but it is just as well now if the eir charges are going ahead.
    which is good one? I know the free hotmails are OK for not very important mail

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

which is good one? I know the free hotmails are OK for not very important mail
    Gmail's the one I'm familiar with; It's widely used and accepted, and more secure than Hotmail. It's not the only good choice; that might depend on your setup and circumstances. There's plenty of advice on the web (keywords relevant to your case can home in on what you need). I use Advanced Search for this kind of thing, as it can eliminate out-of-date results, cut through the sponsored ones, etc.

I believe Hotmail's quite vulnerable to hackers, and while Googling a website problem yesterday I read about people locked out of their websites (and even their devices) because a hacker got hold of one of their details somewhere, used it to access somewhere else and so on. So if you use a Hotmail address for something it's probably not a good idea to use it anywhere else, even as a secondary email in case of login problems.

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Gmail's the one I'm familiar with; It's widely used and accepted, and more secure than Hotmail. It's not the only good choice; that might depend on your setup and circumstances. There's plenty of advice on the web (keywords relevant to your case can home in on what you need). I use Advanced Search for this kind of thing, as it can eliminate out-of-date results, cut through the sponsored ones, etc.

I believe Hotmail's quite vulnerable to hackers, and while Googling a website problem yesterday I read about people locked out of their websites (and even their devices) because a hacker got hold of one of their details somewhere, used it to access somewhere else and so on. So if you use a Hotmail address for something it's probably not a good idea to use it anywhere else, even as a secondary email in case of login problems.
    i wouldn't have gmail or google. Scanning mail to serve ads .Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah that's why nearly every university in the country is using them.

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

They haven't scanned email since 2017 apparently https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-reading-personal-emails-privacy

Some of us choose to accept adverts in exchange for using some Google services without paying, just as with buying papers and magazines at affordable prices.
    Spocker wrote: »
    They haven't scanned email since 2017 apparently https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-reading-personal-emails-privacy
    That explains it (the adverts I see still assume that as an older person I must be a technophobic 'easy listening' fan)!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Boarder Man

ED E wrote: »
    Why?

I pay Tesco for my milk so the pub should give me free beer?

Well, they should give you free water at least as a basic public service. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Fogmatic wrote: »

That's not the case. Hotmail is not known to be significantly more or less secure than Gmail.

A lot of people misunderstand hacking, it's not really possible to hack one account, if you can hack one you can hack them all and you can sell that hack for millions if not hundreds of millions. Nobody who can hack email accounts are targeting individual regular users.

If someone "got hold of their details" then they specifically didn't hack, if you have the details it's not hacking it's called logging in. Sometimes people enter their details into shady websites or reuse their email address password somewhere else and that's how someone takes over the account. They just log in and change the password. And that's no more likely on any one email provider over another.

If you set up 2FA to send a code to your phone when logging in that can't happen. It might even be mandatory in Gmail and Outlook/Hotmail/Live Mail/Microsoft Mail (They really love to rebrand).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

If you're running Outlook on your PC, Microsoft Outlook runs well with it and is easy to setup.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    That's not the case. Hotmail is not known to be significantly more or less secure than Gmail.
    I must have got the wrong impression from somewhere years ago.

And thank you for the clarification re hackers; I just used the words the writers did (instead of thinking about it). It was of course the login type of attack I'd read about; very targeted, and especially disastrous because of the way the various accounts involved were 'daisy-chained' together by some credential used more than once here and there.

That's hard to avoid if it's an email address I suppose (hence the care needed with them). But at least one of the victims realised too late that they could have prevented the whole saga by taking a few seconds to opt into the two-step verification one of the websites had offered. It's now compulsory when logging in to my bank's website and some others to enter a code sent to my phone, and (assuming it's effective) it feels such a neat system to me that I don't understand why it's not used more. But as for rebranding, I won't get started on that (too much to do, including battling the aftermath of rebrandings).

Advertisement