Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service you can download your eircom.net email data to your personal storage before the 1st of July 2020, as you will no longer have access to the old service.

How does one download this data?

I've reactivated a gmail account and diverted my eircom.net email to it and that's working fine. But I have a lot of stuff in older emails that I need to keep. I also thought this was a scam initially as there have been quite a few pretending to be eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

Radio 5 have you got an e mail client like windows live? What OS do you have? Im windows 8.1 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Those that are migrating elsewhere, what email provider are you going to?

Gmail, Outlook or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I went with Gmail. Fingers crossed. The biggest pain about all this is informing/amending all the parties that need to know the change of e-mail. We get so much by e-mail these days. Paper bills never had this problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All ready had a gmail account so this is now my main email, had to change from standard view though, found it runs better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

I'll probably have to help the aul lad get his e-mails to safety and set him up with something else before this kicks in. Does anyone know if this will work? https://www.howtogeek.com/436947/how-to-import-an-old-email-account-into-gmail/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

All ready had a Gmail account which i never used,so this is now my main email, had to change from standard view though,find now it runs better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got my own domain, €6.95 a year and €9.99 a year for email hosting with Blacknight.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

swoofer wrote: »
    Radio 5 have you got an e mail client like windows live? What OS do you have? Im windows 8.1 and 7.

No.
    I have Windows 10 Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Got my own domain, €6.95 a year and €9.99 a year for email hosting with Blacknight.

get rid of Blacknight email and host your domain at Zoho for free which is a far superior email service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'll probably have to help the aul lad get his e-mails to safety and set him up with something else before this kicks in. Does anyone know if this will work? https://www.howtogeek.com/436947/how-to-import-an-old-email-account-into-gmail/

Yes, that's what I did, following advice on another thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112897411&postcount=48

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Yes, that's what I did, following advice on another thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112897411&postcount=48
    Re the tip about having eir email open as well, I've found it helps a lot with the whole migration to have it ready opened in a second browser, so as not to leave either page. Most of the websites I use have sent their confirmation emails to my new address, but some send them to the old eircom/eir one, and some have only been valid briefly. (There doesn't seem to be any pattern to which type of website does what!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

BailMeOut wrote: »
    get rid of Blacknight email and host your domain at Zoho for free which is a far superior email service.

Can you host an existing Blacknight domain on Zoho for free?

Is there much involved in transferring one over from Blacknight?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BailMeOut wrote: »

If I wanted a dodgy 'free' email service I'd have gone with Gmail.

Remember, if you're not paying for it, you are the product...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I diverted my eircom years to Gmail but I've stopped getting mails since 14th May. Anyone else having same problem? I can't remember my login details and security questions so I'm totally locked out. Tried contacting eircom but due to covid they not supporting email queries
    Disaster cause someone putting up fake reviews on my amazon and of course that's registered to my amazon so account and no access to eircom so I can't change passwords

Does this mean that your eircom address won't be valid anymore ? So any emails sent to eircom.net after July won't be diverted to gmail at all... Will they just bounce back to the sender as 'not valid' ?

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Radio5 wrote: »
    Does this mean that your eircom address won't be valid anymore ? So any emails sent to eircom.net after July won't be diverted to gmail at all... Will they just bounce back to the sender as 'not valid' ?

Thats correct, unless you pony up the money

dave1982 wrote: »
    I diverted my eircom years to Gmail but I've stopped getting mails since 14th May. Anyone else having same problem? I can't remember my login details and security questions so I'm totally locked out. Tried contacting eircom but due to covid they not supporting email queries
    Disaster cause someone putting up fake reviews on my amazon and of course that's registered to my amazon so account and no access to eircom so I can't change passwords

Just change your Amazon account to your gmail email address? Or you can't because you have to verify via eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Spocker wrote: »
    Just change your Amazon account to your gmail email address? Or you can't because you have to verify via eircom?

Can you log into amazon and see if their customer service can help you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Spocker wrote: »

Yep can't cause need verify via eircom. Was onto amazon nd they want nothing do with it

• Advertisement

Yep can't cause need verify via eircom. Was onto amazon nd they want nothing do with it

Signup for a month, to allow the emails to flow through, and then you can cancel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Any chance you have an old device like a laptop with the email client like Outlook that you used to connect to eircom and then use the old style show password tools to find the password?

Alternatively if you said yes to chrome saving the password when you set the "Check mail from other accounts:" dialog in gmail then there is a chance you can find it in Chromes password list.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

dave1892; I'm still getting my eircom email, also a gmail account that pulls in my husband's eircom.net messages is till working (latest message June 9th - normal for him as his emails are infrequent anyway).

Presumably you're still receiving other types of Gmail message? (if not, it could be a Google space problem).

I don't suppose you have a Kindle, and a note of those credentials? (The same credentials are shared by Amazon shop, Appstore and Kindle).

Are you using a phone for this? I found the passwords I'd agreed to saving in my Android one by enabling what it calls 'Developer options' (sort of Admin mode) in the phone settings. (It required some kind of phone security lock before it would show the passwords; a PIN sufficed in my case).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Parents currently mostly access their emails on a desktop at home which has the Microsoft Outlook application.

When abroad they would log onto the eircom webmail website and access their emails this way.

Looking at migrating them to Gmail, but I noticed in the desktop computer Microsoft Outlook application they have multiple subfolders for categorising their emails and have emails going back a few years.

However when I log into their email account on the eircom webmail site (Zimbra) they don't have all the subfolders and all the emails as per the desktop.

Is there a way to migrate the emails from the desktop Microsoft Outlook application as that seems to have all their emails whereas the eircom webmail site does not.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I have been unable to send emails since April, I get incoming mails ok but outgoing does not happen?

REXER wrote: »
    I have been unable to send emails since April, I get incoming mails ok but outgoing does not happen?

If you have changed your internet provider then and aren't using eir broadband anymore then you will have to change the SMTP mail server you use to send outgoing email. A lot of ISP's have closed their SMTP servers so best option is to use eir's webmail.

Parents currently mostly access their emails on a desktop at home which has the Microsoft Outlook application.

When abroad they would log onto the eircom webmail website and access their emails this way.

Looking at migrating them to Gmail, but I noticed in the desktop computer Microsoft Outlook application they have multiple subfolders for categorising their emails and have emails going back a few years.

However when I log into their email account on the eircom webmail site (Zimbra) they don't have all the subfolders and all the emails as per the desktop.

Is there a way to migrate the emails from the desktop Microsoft Outlook application as that seems to have all their emails whereas the eircom webmail site does not.

Thanks

Try this: https://www.agnesscott.edu/its/files/documents/131203_Gmail_Personal_Folders_Migration.pdf

Some other links I found:
    https://sites.google.com/a/tc.columbia.edu/tcapps2/outlook
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/01/moving-pst-files-into-gmail-you-can-try-this-at-home/34209/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rainbowshimmer

Can anybody who has imported emails to gmail tell me how long the process took about? I’ve been telling my parents to sort through their emails so that I could forward any that they wanted to keep but they haven’t, so I want to import them all in case they have anything important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

an alternative I saw a report on in the Irish times is hey.com

It's a paid service too, but has huge number of features and you can stop spam very easily. Basically you have to approve all new senders.

Also as its new, you can get a lot of short addresses. I even got my first name and herself got her first name too - We both have reasonably unusual names

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    an alternative I saw a report on in the Irish times is hey.com

It's a paid service too, but has huge number of features and you can stop spam very easily. Basically you have to approve all new senders.

Also as its new, you can get a lot of short addresses. I even got my first name and herself got her first name too - We both have reasonably unusual names

NO THANKS at $99 a year compared to €72 for Eir its making Eir look like a bargain. At first glance hey.com looks like a rip off and at that price it doesn't get a second look.

Advertisement