Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

GinSoaked wrote: »
    NO THANKS at $99 a year compared to €72 for Eir its making Eir look like a bargain. At first glance hey.com looks like a rip off and at that price it doesn't get a second look.

everyone to his/her own. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be utterly boring. This new email suits me because I despise gmail and how many adverts it shows / how much tracking it does.

Can be good to know what options are out there rather that just diss on them cos they don't suit you.

Remember there is noth free in the world of tech - you are paying somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

silver2020 wrote: »
    everyone to his/her own. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be utterly boring. This new email suits me because I despise gmail and how many adverts it shows / how much tracking it does.

Can be good to know what options are out there rather that just diss on them cos they don't suit you.

Remember there is noth free in the world of tech - you are paying somehow

Did you end up paying VAT on the $99?

For that sort of money you'd have change from registering you own email domain and paying for a basic hosting package plus have full control of your email addresses. Thats why its a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

silver2020 wrote: »
    an alternative I saw a report on in the Irish times is hey.com
    Important thing to note about hey.com: it does not support IMAP or POP (and never will, according to their CTO). That means you can't use any other clients like Outlook or Thunderbird, nor can you use any third-party mail apps on Android or iOS. You are locked in to only using hey.com's ecosystem. Also (and because of that), if you ever do decide to move away, it will be a nightmare far worse than Eir's.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Is there a way to migrate the emails from the desktop Microsoft Outlook application as that seems to have all their emails whereas the eircom webmail site does not.
    I don't know if there's a way to move existing emails to another service (just that the Gmail method pulls in only new ones as they arrive, not earlier ones). But is there any need?

I've never used Outlook, but it's a traditional email 'client' like e.g. Firefox, meaning that it downloads the emails into the computer, where they stay until the user chooses to delete them (regardless of whatever happens outside that computer). So your parents won't lose the emails, just won't be able to reply to them directly (though can always use copy & paste)

Assuming Outlook, like other email clients, has the option of whether to leave copies on the server when downloading them, it sounds as if your parents either didn't know about that or opted not to (it didn't take long to fill the allotted space at the eircom server anyway!). In that case, if it's just the latest emails you're seeing on the server, they'll be the arrivals since Outlook was last checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Can anybody who has imported emails to gmail tell me how long the process took about? I’ve been telling my parents to sort through their emails so that I could forward any that they wanted to keep but they haven’t, so I want to import them all in case they have anything important.

Transferred mine to Gmail this morning, took about 10 minutes I'd say. Had to do it on a laptop, very straight forward..

• Advertisement

leeside11 wrote: »
    Transferred mine to Gmail this morning, took about 10 minutes I'd say. Had to do it on a laptop, very straight forward..
    Ah - I didn't realise it worked with mail already receieved! It didn't arise in my case, having started by extracting what I wanted eircom emails and deleting them (but then I only had about 200 to deal with).

I then got Gmail to import new ones, and that setting worked instantly I think, using my phone (no accessable computer at the time).

I think the simplest answer to downloading to Gmail is if you log into Eir webmail then you can download any email you see there to gmail if its not in webmail you can't download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

I’m currently trying to forward some emails from my eircom account to my new gmail account I’ve set up but nothing is happening

I’ve had a lot of problems sending from the Eircom account long before this changeover was mentioned so I’m wondering if anyone else is having this problem?
    Otherwise I’m going to have to resort to screen shotting individual messages which is tedious
    Im regretting leaving til last minute now ��

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    I’m currently trying to forward some emails from my eircom account to my new gmail account I’ve set up but nothing is happening

I’ve had a lot of problems sending from the Eircom account long before this changeover was mentioned so I’m wondering if anyone else is having this problem?
    Otherwise I’m going to have to resort to screen shotting individual messages which is tedious

If you log into https://www.eir.ie/email/ you should be able to send them OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

Originally Posted by JimmyCorkhill - extract:
    "Parents currently mostly access their emails on a desktop at home which has the Microsoft Outlook application.
    I noticed in the desktop computer Microsoft Outlook application they have multiple subfolders for categorising their emails and have emails going back a few years"

I presume that it's Office Outlook on their desktop.
    The subfolders in Outlook are probably Offline Storage Folders which will remain in Outlook.
    I would suggest they also set up their Gmail account in Outlook, then cut and paste all the emails from the eircom folders to the Gmail folders. Outlook will sync with Gmail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

vinby wrote: »
    "Parents currently mostly access their emails on a desktop at home which has the Microsoft Outlook application.
    I noticed in the desktop computer Microsoft Outlook application they have multiple subfolders for categorising their emails and have emails going back a few years"

The subfolders in Outlook are probably Offline Storage Folders which will remain in Outlook.
    I would suggest they also set up their Gmail account in Outlook, then cut and paste all the emails from the eircom folders to the Gmail folders. Outlook will sync with Gmail.

I had fierce problems with getting outlook to work with Gmail. Have a Google to set the problems

Gmail will work with Windows mail. But some issues with Gmail being deleted by accident using that app.

Have a Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

vinby wrote: »

I had fierce problems with getting outlook to work with Gmail. Have a Google to set the problems

Gmail will work with Windows mail. But some issues with Gmail being deleted by accident using that app.

Have a Google.

NutmegGirl wrote: »

I’ve had a lot of problems sending from the Eircom account long before this changeover was mentioned so I’m wondering if oanyone else is having this problem?
    I recently composed a new message in eircom/eir webmail for some reason, but the Send button now has no effect, apart from a little indication of being pressed. (I don't know how long it's been like that, as I hadn't composed a new eircom one for some time). Replying directly to an eircom email is still working for me though (fortunately for changing email address at the websites that email confirmation links to the old address!).

Some of my contacts have been not receiving my eircom emails for years (and it's not just me), but that's because some ISPs have blacklisted eircom/eir due to longstanding (like, 20 years) spam problems.

I hope you don't have a huge number of screenshots to do, but hopefully you're able to use a computer for that (I've had to do all this migrating from eircom via a phone with limited memory space - ordered a new laptop a while ago but it only arrived last week because of the Covid delays!).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ronankan

I cant seem to access my emails at all on Eir this morning - the change does not happen till tomorrow - is anyone else experiencing problems accessing their emails

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭amlinopta

ronankan wrote: »
    I cant seem to access my emails at all on Eir this morning - the change does not happen till tomorrow - is anyone else experiencing problems accessing their emails
    Very same for me, need access today, change is meant to be tomorrow. And true to form impossible to contact anyone by phone or webchat

Webmail isn't working for me but I still seem to be able to connect to the server for POP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

P.S. For those looking for alternatives, I would recommend a Gmail account if you're not too concerned about Google's business model. The Gmail interface and search capability makes finding old emails a whole lot quicker than in Outlook. Though if you prefer to have access via an offline client then you can also log in to it via IMAP using a client such as Thunderbird (simple to use like the Outlook Express of old, with an "auto-detect" feature for setting up new accounts making it easier for those less technically savvy, but still powerful and a much better search function than Outlook. I've also found it useful in the past for backing up emails, and moving/syncing them between different accounts).

For those looking for better privacy I would recommend ProtonMail.

I followed that advice a few months ago and am very happy with the free version of protonmail. One has to pay for the bells and whistles element, but the free basic service meets my needs very well and is a handy backup to gmail.

I also find the free VPN product that protonmail offer very useful whenever I'm using public broadband.

I'm not a complete cheapskate though - I did make a small contribution to their running expenses!

I finally killed off my eircom account last night after using it for about 25 years; It felt great! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

amlinopta wrote: »
    Very same for me, need access today, change is meant to be tomorrow. And true to form impossible to contact anyone by phone or webchat

Yes same here just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

And same here

Just tested there now and while webmail still doesn't work I've sent some test emails and any mail that I POP off to Outlook is arriving.

• Advertisement

Just tried the webmail, and login button having no effect for me either (using phone or laptop or any browser). Maybe there's just too much of a rush on the website just now. Haven't used POP for years but will try that (if I can set up an email client quickly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The eircom outages map is looking a lot redder than usual!

https://downdetector.ie/status/eircom/map/

Once again let's have three hearty cheers for Mammy O'Rourke who privatised Telecom Eireann all those years ago!

(Anyone else still have their valueless eircom share certificates?)

Not forgetting Tony O'Reilly's Valentia Consortium which subsequently ripped the arse out of the company.

webmail back working for me only in the last couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

ronankan wrote: »

Got into my Eir webmail just there now no problem..

webmail back working for me only in the last couple of minutes.
    Oh well! Just installed old friend Thunderbird in new laptop (having waited for Firefox to install after absently pressing that button!), but was going to get Firefox again anyway (old computers out of order and have been doing everything with phone with small memory).

Then sent a test email to my eircom.net address, which appeared in Thunderbird immediately, so might as well carry on this way, with the eir site being so congested. (I guess the POP method must use less resources at the website? And maybe help ease the congestion if enough people are able to do the same?)

I'm lucky enough to have only about 40 least important useful websites still to update out of the hundreds on my list, but the more I can do today the fewer re-registrations to do later at those that send confirmations to the old address!

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Oh well! Just installed old friend Thunderbird in new laptop (having waited for Firefox to install after absently pressing that button!), but was going to get Firefox again anyway (old computers out of order and have been doing everything with phone with small memory).

Then sent a test email to my eircom.net address, which appeared in Thunderbird immediately, so might as well carry on this way, with the eir site being so congested. (I guess the POP method must use less resources at the website? And maybe help ease the congestion if enough people are able to do the same?)

I'm lucky enough to have only about 40 least important useful websites still to update out of the hundreds on my list, but the more I can do today the fewer re-registrations to do later at those that send confirmations to the old address!

Don't forget to change any email accounts that point to eircom.net for lost passwords.

Don't forget to change any email accounts that point to eircom.net for lost passwords.
    No. Especially with important sites like banking, medical and other officialdom. And where account retrieval can be fiddly, such as Amazon (especially if you're a seller, I gather). And for browser(s), ISPs & other comms. As I was using just eircom.net and Gmail before this (and not sure how many Gmail addresses we can have with each device/IP address?), I'm now using a Yahoo address I had from somewhere as the secondary or primary one (and the Yahoo Mail app installed in a flash).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That’s what I’m afraid,of,happening

Gael23 wrote: »
    That’s what I’m afraid,of,happening

Happened to me today thats why I thought of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Getting
    HTTP ERROR 502

right now. Probably implementing the new pay scheme.

Advertisement