Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can still login. The screen has a new look I notice so something has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I can no longer log in. The pay scheme appears to have gone live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭kala85

How do I sign up for the paid scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Thrill wrote: »
    I can no longer log in. The pay scheme appears to have gone live.

Still able to log in here, got another webmail account over to Gmail just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

kala85 wrote: »
    How do I sign up for the paid scheme
    leeside11 wrote: »
    Still able to log in here, got another webmail account over to Gmail just now.

When I try to log in I get redirected to the offer page.....

https://www.eir.ie/email/offers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I've finished migrating anything important from our eircom.net addresses, but have just tried the webmail login out of curiosity, and the screen had changed design. But I could still log in, and open and read an email I'd left there. Ditto a test email it's just received ok (also readable).

If I remember right, the plan was always to give us 30 days (or was it 60?) after the deadline in which to pay up or be removed. During which we'd still be able to see the titles of our messages, but wouldn't be able to read them (or do anything else there) without paying up. (I don't know what happens re receiving). I also read somewhere once that our email would be frozen (if that's the right word) from today, which I took to mean not all in one go. If that's right it might explain today's varied experiences.

Who knows if it's taking hours, days or what to get all our accounts frozen, but for any leavers who couldn't get all the work done by last night (or would like to check their inbox for forgotten contacts), it could still be worth trying the login (you could be lucky!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I've finished migrating anything important from our eircom.net addresses, but have just tried the webmail login out of curiosity, and the screen had changed design. But I could still log in, and open and read an email I'd left there. Ditto a test email it's just received ok (also readable).

If I remember right, the plan was always to give us 30 days (or was it 60?) after the deadline in which to pay up or be removed. During which we'd still be able to see the titles of our messages, but wouldn't be able to read them (or do anything else there) without paying up. (I don't know what happens re receiving). I also read somewhere once that our email would be frozen (if that's the right word) from today, which I took to mean not all in one go. If that's right it might explain today's varied experiences.

Who knows if it's taking hours, days or what to get all our accounts frozen, but for any leavers who couldn't get all the work done by last night (or would like to check their inbox for forgotten contacts), it could still be worth trying the login (you could be lucky!).

It's still working fine for me too, luckily! :P

I've just logged in and there was my Motor Tax renewal reminder sitting in my inbox! I had never even thought of changing that email address!

It's still working fine for me too, luckily! :P

I've just logged in and there was my Motor Tax renewal reminder sitting in my inbox! I had never even thought of changing that email address!

You've just hit the window when you can now log in to the motor tax website (it closes again the moment you've paid).

I've changed email there, and only surname or postal address can be changed via links on the site, and those are linked to the vehicle's registration document (which has to be sent off to be changed). Changes of email address are by request to their general email address for enquiries given on the site (without having to log in, I think).

As well as old & new email addresses, they need reg. number, postal address and name (exactly as on the registration doc). I got a very prompt and cheery confirmation (had the sense that his job was a bit boring). My eircom address is on my registration doc, and they can't be changed but I don't think that matters (guess they get changed too often to rely on for ID).

Still works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Motor tax had a message on their website during the week, specifically for Eircom account holders explaining how to change email address, it involved going through “ forgot your PIN” section
    I did this and changed email
    I checked Eir late last night just out of interest and my tax renewal email was sitting there, a duplicate hasn’t gone to my new email so their method obviously hasn’t worked

I need to see this am which works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

Hi, doubtless been asked before but is there a eir URL to pony up on if you want to keep the @eircom address ?

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Motor tax had a message on their website during the week, specifically for Eircom account holders explaining how to change email address, it involved going through “ forgot your PIN” section
    I checked Eir late last night just out of interest and my tax renewal email was sitting there, a duplicate hasn’t gone to my new email so their method obviously hasn’t worked

Forgot to mention before (re changing email address by email) that I'm pretty sure my confirmation email came to the new email address, so there was no hurry after all! Couldn't check that though, as I've been deleting confirmation emails as soon as they've served their purpose, with being so many (other emails would have got a bit lost!).

It was only about 2 weeks after eir first announced this business, and my man at motor tax wasn't yet aware of it (I did wonder how he'd cope when the news really spread!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I got that too, and when I changed my email address, my PIN was sent to my new email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

I followed the motortax.ie instructions in April for a car due to be taxed at the end of July. I got the renewal notice to my new email address yesterday evening. I wonder if the email notices were prepared by motortax.ie in advance, before you made your change?

worded wrote: »
    Hi, doubtless been asked before but is there a eir URL to pony up on if you want to keep the @eircom address ?
    Have you tried looking in this thread from the beginning? (Seem to remember quite a lot of links & quotes there). There have been a several threads on the subject that I could easily link to if it helps (kept a notification from each).

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

worded wrote: »

Just log in to your eir webmail and you'll be brought to the page to sign up for payment. If you can still log in to webmail without being brought to a payment page, then they haven't transfered you to the paid email service yet. I just noticed that mine got transfered earlier today. I'll pony up for a month while I get all things over to a new address but that's the last penny eir gets from me.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

During which we'd still be able to see the titles of our messages, but wouldn't be able to read them (or do anything else there) without paying up.

Talk about holding people to ransom.

I've changed email there, and only surname or postal address can be changed via links on the site, and those are linked to the vehicle's registration document (which has to be sent off to be changed). Changes of email address are by request to their general email address for enquiries given on the site (without having to log in, I think).

That's not true and as soon as you hit the motortax.ie website, there's a massive pop-up saying otherwise.
    Important Notice Eircom E-mail Customers

If you are an eircom e-mail customer and wish to amend your e-mail address for future electronic reminders you can do so now on www.motortax.ie select Motor Tax and then Forgot Your Pin?

Input all your details on this page including your new e-mail address and hit submit. You will be e-mailed a pin number to your new e-mail address to confirm but will not be able to tax your vehicle until its due for renewal.

You will subsequently be e-mailed an electronic reminder to your new e-mail address during the month of tax expiry.

If you are an owner of a commercial vehicle (previously taxed in your name) then you will on next renewal be issued with a paper reminder which will contain your pin number and you will be able to tax online and submit your new e-mail address as part of taxing.

I did this for 3 vehicles and it works exactly like they say. None of them was within the window to be actually able to pay tax at the time, either.

BTW I can still receive on my eircom.net address via POP and send via SMTP (and that's definitely through Eir's servers as it's over Eir mobile data) - has anyone actually been cut off yet?

Edit: webmail (old version) still works too

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Talk about holding people to ransom.

That's not true and as soon as you hit the motortax.ie website, there's a massive pop-up saying otherwise.

I did this for 3 vehicles and it works exactly like they say. None of them was within the window to be actually able to pay tax at the time, either.

BTW I can still receive on my eircom.net address via POP and send via SMTP (and that's definitely through Eir's servers as it's over Eir mobile data) - has anyone actually been cut off yet?

Edit: webmail (old version) still works too

The changeover is taking place between the 1st and 15th of July, you must be in a later batch.

I was cut off on the 1st as i've not had any emails to any of my eircom addresses since 11pm on the 30th (never bothered changing some stuff).

Edit
    Looks like I was wrong, just sent an email to one of the eircom accounts and it came though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

gipi wrote: »
    I followed the motortax.ie instructions in April for a car due to be taxed at the end of July. I got the renewal notice to my new email address yesterday evening. I wonder if the email notices were prepared by motortax.ie in advance, before you made your change?

I think so
    I’m still able to login to Eircom so I just paid it now but the receipt came to my new address

I know now from other postings that they have that notice now, but I was describing what I knew from when I did it, which was in March, and apologies if I didn't make that clear enough. I was just trying to reassure someone about it (and hoping to make my rather head-banging session with the website a little more worthwhile!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

If any of you are last minute like myself and want access to webmail.
    Block Javascript on chrome here: chrome://settings/content/javascript (paste it into address bar)
    Open https://www.eir.ie/email/ in another tab
    Allow Javascript again and login

Not sure how long eir will leave this as a redirect but might be of use to some people for the time being.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

My facebook is eircom.net and my PSC card is same.
    Will I lose Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

Ryanair booking using eircom email address
    I'm awaiting a refund from Ryanair for May flights cancelled (fingers crossed). The flights were booked in Feb using my eircom address. I now have a new email address and have updated my Ryanair profile accordingly. However emails relating to the cancellation/refund still go to my old eircom address as that is associated with the booking. I requested Ryanair via webchat to update the booking with my new email adress but they are unable to do so or offer ssistance. I do not plan to continue with eircom email, hopefully the refund will come through regardless.

Is anyone paying the 5.99 and keeping their account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is anyone paying the 5.99 and keeping their account?

I wonder if its possible to set up a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Mormegil wrote: »
    The changeover is taking place between the 1st and 15th of July, you must be in a later batch.

I should add, I never got any emails at all about the changeover.

I'm an eir mobile customer, I wonder does that matter.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

vinby wrote: »
    Ryanair booking using eircom email address
    I'm awaiting a refund from Ryanair for May flights cancelled (fingers crossed). The flights were booked in Feb using my eircom address. I now have a new email address and have updated my Ryanair profile accordingly. However emails relating to the cancellation/refund still go to my old eircom address as that is associated with the booking. I requested Ryanair via webchat to update the booking with my new email adress but they are unable to do so or offer ssistance. I do not plan to continue with eircom email, hopefully the refund will come through regardless.
    It's not just Ryanair. Aer Lingus and British Airways are the same despite changing email address with them months ago. Can't understand it at all -continuing to contact passengers using wrong email addresses and, in the case of eircom, addresses that will not exist fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

dubdaymo wrote: »
    It's not just Ryanair. Aer Lingus and British Airways are the same despite changing email address with them months ago. Can't understand it at all -continuing to contact passengers using wrong email addresses and, in the case of eircom, addresses that will not exist fairly soon.

I changed mine ages back the first time around but back then it was AXA insurance that kept sending email to the wrong old eircom address. I quick email to them sorted the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I changed mine ages back the first time around but back then it was AXA insurance that kept sending email to the wrong old eircom address. I quick email to them sorted the problem.
    Thanks but I think you miss the point. The airlines refuse to change the email address applicable to the original booking to your new one - it's not just me - it's their policy, not an oversight.

• Advertisement

My facebook is eircom.net and my PSC card is same.
    Will I lose Facebook?
    I might be wrong (and can't remember much about changing email there), but have a feeling that Facebook offers another way(s) of accessing an account if we have problems; something like using Google credentials, for instance. (And as others have said, don't forget to check any secondary/account recovery addresses for eircom/eir ones!). Perhaps someone here will know the score re FB?

I can't see any email address on my public services card, but when we first got ours 3 years ago at our local public services centre, they helped us register at the MyGov website while we were at it, and we did use our eircom email addresses for that. I looked into this in mid March, and (short story!) they didn't keep our email addresses in their records, and they were used once only, for the confirmation email for MyGov registration. (Possibly also for the PSC setup - I can't remember).

If you want to find out for sure, it's the Welfare system you want. Don't bother searching the Public Services Centre website for anything about Public Services Cards, unless you want to pass the time with a quest game. I spent fruitless hours battling its odd structure, cryptic links and inconsistent terminology (before finding that their enquiries number wasn't snowed under as I'd expected, and they hadn't heard of the eir webmail change!).

A few departments and non sequiturs later I learned that PSCs were under Welfare; same building, but a completely separate organisation. Someone dug out their number for me, and the very helpful man who answered it knew the system but spoke plain English, and immediately understood and answered the query. If it helps, I found a note that the PSC registration places were called INTREO centres (some not very helpful acronym), and sometimes SAFE registration centres (maybe just meaning face-to-face).

Advertisement