Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

gipi wrote: »
    The charge will apply to the use of an eircom.net or eir.net email address regardless of how you access it.

You were correct about this.
    My eircom.net address is no longer usable through Outlook since 29th July.
    Webmail already stopped a few weeks ago when the payment sign-up page
    appeared there, but emails could still be sent and received by using Outlook.
    But now the end has finally come and it doesn't work for Webmail or Outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I am considering paying the charge, when I enter my username and password it doesn't let me login to my emails (I didn't expect it to) but I also get a not found error when I select manage my account. Am using the below link

https://www.eir.ie/email/login/

I thought it was 60 days from the start of July to when your account was permanently deleted - is counting to 60 yet another thing that Eir can't do right?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I am considering paying the charge, when I enter my username and password it doesn't let me login to my emails (I didn't expect it to) but I also get a not found error when I select manage my account. Am using the below link
    https://www.eir.ie/email/login/
    I thought it was 60 days from the start of July to when your account was permanently deleted - is counting to 60 yet another thing that Eir can't do right?

I was able to get to the payment notice page previously, but I will not be signing up. Having seen your post, I tried it again now and I am getting "Login error".

The email said "This monthly subscription commenced on the 1st of July 2020 and is now available for you to sign up to. . . .
    You have 60 days to sign up to the new service from the 17th of July 2020 before your email address, account and its data is permanently removed, this step is not reversible once complete."

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VicMackey1

emanresu wrote: »
    I was able to get to the payment notice page previously, but I will not be signing up. Having seen your post, I tried it again now and I am getting "Login error".

The email said "This monthly subscription commenced on the 1st of July 2020 and is now available for you to sign up to. . . .
    You have 60 days to sign up to the new service from the 17th of July 2020 before your email address, account and its data is permanently removed, this step is not reversible once complete."

I got the exact same message and cant reach the sign-up page either. I sent them an email Thursday morning but haven't received a reply yet. When I tried to sign up to their app on android, it failed, saying that my Eircom email address didn't exist. I hope they haven't botched it and deleted email accounts early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

August payment declined

There is no issues with my debit card to cause this to happen

Myself and a lot of customers getting email from eir webmail about failed payment today
    I did not use the link in the email just in case it was scam email
    I went to webmail website direct instead and logged into manage my account and seen listed today date 18/08/2020 payment declined

Other customers have posted same issue on Eir Facebook and Eir twitter

Webmail Account
    July payment is listed as paid
    August is listed as declined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Daffodil in Spring

paulboland wrote: »
    August payment declined

There is no issues with my debit card to cause this to happen

Webmail Account
    July payment is listed as paid
    August is listed as declined

Same here.

Received an another email short time ago saying 'payment processing error' on eir's part.

"Dear Customer

You will have received a communication from us in the past 24hrs in error indicating that your webmail payment was unsuccessful. Please accept our apologies as this was a payment processing error on our part and your service remains unaffected. Your payment will be processed as soon as possible.

Regards
    The eir webmail team"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They really are hopeless, aren't they!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I would love to know what % of eircom email users stayed signed up with the new charge, wouldn't have thought it was that many?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I would love to know what % of eircom email users stayed signed up with the new charge, wouldn't have thought it was that many?

I did but just to for time to allow for change over to an owned domain email service as no matter how I tried subscriptions would pop up that necessitated the eircom address to transfer over.

Once I get a run of a few months that nothing relies on it anymore, Eir can pick a window!

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Payment for August has been taken Today

Beware of lot of phishing emails failed charge notice that comes from info@eir
    This is a fake eir email address has nothing to do with Eir Webmail
    Do not click on the link in that email if you receive it

Legit emails from Eir Webmail come from noreply@eircom.net or no-reply@mails.eir.ie

You check your Eir Webmail Account use https://www.eir.ie/email/login/
    Click manage my account to see payment details you added and to check payment history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A pure fcuking shambles. But I expected no less.

25/08/2020|PAID|€5.99
    18/08/2020|DECLINED|€5.99
    17/07/2020|PAID|€5.99

• Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

Just out of curiosity what has been included in the promised new "improved eircom.net email service" for which they charge €5.99 per month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Same here (though I suppose data protection/company secrets will get in the way).
    I didn't, and apart from my low budget, another reason was wondering if there'd be enough payers to keep it up anyway. (The only reason I hung onto my eircom address was that it felt increasingly cool to have bagged myname@the national provider, as was possible 20 years ago!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I didn't sign up but I'm still receiving email into my Eircom accounts (via GMail) - when are they actually turning it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Imbusy22

I had to sign up for one month to migrate my Microsoft account to Gmail. It states the contract length is one month on FAQ page. However I was billed 5.99 again this month, and when checking in personal account information, there is no way to delete card details. The only way to cancel is a long phone call to 1800 number.........

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

loyatemu wrote: »
    I didn't sign up but I'm still receiving email into my Eircom accounts (via GMail) - when are they actually turning it off?

After the deadline.

(The most precise date I've been able to figure out, anyway).
    Mine & Spouse's were turned off a few days after it, within 2 days of each other (probably ruling out an alphabetical sequence though, with our surnames starting with J...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Seem to be rejected from my Eir account from this morning. Indigo one still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My Eircom account 15 years finally came to a end yesterday ,cant sign in anymore, , don't care now, all transferred to Gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Signed up for 5.99 webmail just to be sure I got my email sorted out.
    How do I cancel the service now?
    Payment is being taken from my Revolute card?
    Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I hope many people used this as an opportunity to buy a domain name for their email,

Bought a domain for my personal email in 1999 and have changed email providers numerous times but I always have the same email.

Well worth it for less the 20e a year :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Cabaal wrote: »
    I hope many people used this as an opportunity to buy a domain name for their email,

Bought a domain for my personal email in 1999 and have changed email providers numerous times but I always have the same email.

Well worth it for less the 20e a year :)
    I was contemplating doing something like this, both for myself and at work.

I'm using Gmail at the moment.

Are you able to have the emails hosted online or are they all downloaded locally? So that multiple devices can see the same emails.

When you change providers, does it not entail a bit of work to set up new mailboxes or whatever?

Sorry for the probably silly questions! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

When you buy your own domain you create your own email address, you are the email provider.

Your domain has to be hosted somewhere & that's any hosting company of your choice.

If at any point you decide to change your hosting provider, your email addresses don't change, they remain the same except they are channeled through a different hosting company.

You can check your email on your own domains email service or via any third party software such as Outlook.

Example:

If you bought a domain name called Black.com all your email addresses would be something@black.com

Tom@black.com

mary@black.com

Admin@black.com

Info@black.com

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

lots free email
    Gmail outlook etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    lots free email
    Gmail outlook etc

Yes there are but you are missing the point here.

Owning your own domain & your own email address leaves you free of ever finding yourself in the situation that eir put many in after many years of building contacts via an address that eventually became shut down if you didn't pay to keep.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When the product is "free", you are the product.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭lukin

Increased to €10 from the 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

:)
    lukin wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

lukin wrote: »

They really just want this email service and it's users to go away

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Dempo1 wrote: »
    They really just want this email service and it's users to go away

I'm surprised that @indigo.ie is still working. Is it not part of the Eir stable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mav11 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that @indigo.ie is still working. Is it not part of the Eir stable?

Was that not Ireland on line? not sure, Eir want rid of eircom.net, I'm not sure why they just haven't closed it down, there must be some regulatory obstacle. Who in there right mind would pay €5 pm let alone €10pm for a s**** email service, I get why some initially had to hold on due to verifications, logins etc but no excuses anymore

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement