Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

I also have myname@eircom.net as one of my email addresses and its a pity to lose it. I have had a share of negative experiences with Eir but I can see it from their point of view. They might be trying to keep to their core business from now on. Losing bt sport from the Eir sport package last August could see that go too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll probably keep it for a year, and see where it goes from there. I'm thinking that 50% of the email accounts have been dormant for some time, and they want to get rid of them. Heck, a few people I know just have the email forwarded to their Gmail account, so don't even visit the Eir site. Once the numbers drop to decent levels, they may do a low yearly fee.

Interestingly, my Eircom.net email did not receive an email about this.

Looked at https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions/ but don't see HOW I CAN FCUKING PAY, which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭MB05

the_syco wrote: »
    I'll probably keep it for a year, and see where it goes from there. I'm thinking that 50% of the email accounts have been dormant for some time, and they want to get rid of them. Heck, a few people I know just have the email forwarded to their Gmail account, so don't even visit the Eir site. Once the numbers drop to decent levels, they may do a low yearly fee.

Looked at https://www.eir.ie/support/webmail/webmail-frequently-asked-questions/ but don't see HOW I CAN FCUKING PAY, which is annoying.
    The email they sent out said that when you log in after 31/03/20 you will be redirected to where you can pay. The subject line also said First Reminder so I reckon you will get more phased info as the deadline gets closer. I wish they would put a link or an instruction on how to transfer all your old emails to a new email account. The papers mentioned google support page but I think eir should publish some of the options on their website if they truly want to get rid of the service. I tried to make a list of all the institutions or websites I use the email address on tonight. The list seems endless as it's been my main email address since I started using email. It's a nightmare but no way am I paying that kind of money for it. Maybe 5.99 a year but not a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

MB05 wrote: »
    The email they sent out said that when you log in after 31/03/20 you will be redirected to where you can pay. The subject line also said First Reminder so I reckon you will get more phased info as the deadline gets closer. I wish they would put a link or an instruction on how to transfer all your old emails to a new email account. The papers mentioned google support page but I think eir should publish some of the options on their website if they truly want to get rid of the service. I tried to make a list of all the institutions or websites I use the email address on tonight. The list seems endless as it's been my main email address since I started using email. It's a nightmare but no way am I paying that kind of money for it. Maybe 5.99 a year but not a month.

Ha, just spent the last two hours scrolling back through 10 plus years of emails doing the same thing.

And that was just making the list, going to the websites and updating will be a job for another day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

tototoe wrote: »
    a business having an eircom.net email to me looks a bit cheap.
    shanec1928 wrote: »
    Nothing more unprofessional than business using free email services imo.
    java wrote: »
    Anyone in this day and age that has their business running from a free eircom.net email address doesn't value their business much!

Thanks for the wake up call. I truly hadn't realised that ones email address was a badge that displayed to all how cheap & unprofessional one was. I naively thought it was the quality of the service provided that mattered most to clients. It's quite the wonder that I'm still in business at all after 30+ years. ;)

I'm now a handful of years from spending the days sipping Aperol Spritz on the beach and I'm deliberately reducing workload. This is just another headache I can do without. I'll probably go with it initially and see how it goes. If indeed their plan is to shut it down then it will be a pain but will have to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 conor86

I loved my eircom email and have a broadband account with them. €72 a year is extremely bad valve compare to other email provide.
    I’m create outlook account, but also looking at Protonmail? The only other thing now is to cancel my broadband with them, Joke of company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Mav11 wrote: »
    Still have a name@indigo.ie and name@gofree.indigo.ie accounts. Anybody remember those? Wonder where they are being hosted??

Indigo were bought out by Eircom back in the 90s and the email is still hosted by Eir. I expect any Indigo addresses will also be 5.99 a month if you want to keep using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I was still using my old Eircom address as the login for multiple websites. Fortunately as I use Lastpass to manage my logins I was able to go through the list and remove any dead sites, or sites I hadn't used for years, and then go through the remainder and change them over to using my Gmail address.

The one I ran into problems with was Tesco; you can't change your email address with them and they only way to contact them is by phone! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭gipi

the_syco wrote: »

I have my eircom.net email forwarded to Gmail because I can't access it via the eir site - haven't been able to log into eir webmail for years. Didn't get an email about the changes either, saw it in the newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scummy way to treat people from Eir.

No email received from them as of very late last night, but they were able to talk to the fecking Indo yesterday :mad:

Treating the freeloaders in this way is one thing, but treating paying phone/BB/mobile customers like this is disgraceful. Will consider moving my mobile provider now.

6.99 a month is an utter rip-off, far better and cheaper paid options out there. I've kept the eircom.net address as my main one for 20 years, refuse on principle to sign up to Gmail so some sort of decent paid service it is - or get a vanity domain!

Will be a complete and utter PITA to register a new address with every fecking website I've ever used.

Thanks for nothing Eir.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Scummy way to treat people from Eir.

No email received from them as of very late last night, but they were able to talk to the fecking Indo yesterday :mad:

treatng paying phone/BB/mobile customers like this is disgraceful. Will consider moving my mobile provider now.

Will be a complete and utter PITA to register a new address with every fecking website I've ever used.

Thanks for nothing Eir.

+1

When I got Eircom Broadband over the old dial up all those years ago, part of the package was the email account that came with it.

Now thay want people to pay extra for something that was included in the original contract is pretty tasteless and greedy :mad:

I'm not paying extra on what I'm already supposed to be getting as per of original contract.

So I will be cancelling my Eircom Broadband , bye bye greedy Eircom

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Email says :

'If you decide not to avail of the new eircom.net email service from the 31st of March 2020 you will need to download all the data you have saved within your eircom.net email account to your personal storage before the 31st of March 2020, as the old service will no longer be available.'

When I log on to webmail.eircom.net, my email only goes back to 2/9/2018.

As I will not be availing of the new paid service, how can I get a full download of my email archive data, which goes back many years prior to 2018 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

My electricity account has my eircom.net user name as the user name. I will have to keep using that name as the log in name not withstanding that they will be sending my bill to my new E-mail account! A bit strange to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

My electricity account has my eircom.net user name as the user name. I will have to keep using that name as the log in name not withstanding that they will be sending my bill to my new E-mail account! A bit strange to say the least!

I just checked my provider and you can log in using either email or username. My username is my eircom email also. However you can :-
    - change email for billing and keep username as eircom email or
    - change email for billing and change username to something else entirely.
    So you can probably change the username also.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

Can someone help please? Has anybody any idea how you bulk download/export your eircom mail history either to another mailbox e.g Gmail
    It's for my folks & they would have previous emails that they'll need to search through & access in future. Thanks

I thought that was the case but they were explicit in Electric Ireland that you had to use the original log in details which contains my eircom.net user name
    Stratvs wrote: »
    I just checked my provider and you can log in using either email or username. My username is my eircom email also. However you can :-
    - change email for billing and keep username as eircom email or
    - change email for billing and change username to something else entirely.
    So you can probably change the username also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

swoofer wrote: »
    Can COMREG do anything?

Comreg has no say in the matter, as Eircom PLC nor Eir retail is a state owned entity. They are a private corporaton.

Email is not a regulated product or service either.

And they can charge whatever they want for it. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Can someone help please? Has anybody any idea how you bulk download/export your eircom mail history either to another mailbox e.g Gmail
    It's for my folks & they would have previous emails that they'll need to search through & access in future. Thanks

Sounds like a tricky one. I don't have access to my eircom online account any more so I don't know what options there are online. You might be able to synch.

If you setup outlook (or other email program) on your PC and configure it to pull in your eircom emails, it will certainly bring in any new ones, until you get a chance to switch over.

I've just switch over to outlook.com myself. Synched it with outlook on my PC and all seems to be working well. My email address has changed of course, but that's it now, I'm finally free of eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

I contacted comreg and got this back.

Dear Habanerocat,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that though Comreg regulates Eir's broadband, landline, and mobile services, we would have no remit their, or any, email services. As such, though we cannot guarantee your desired outcome to dispute the charges in relation to the changes being introduced to Eir's email service, we would encourage you to follow our complaints procedure to address your complaint.

To lodge a complaint I would advise that you proceed as outlined below:

1. Contact your service provider’s customer care department by telephone on 1800 200 481 or via email at ccm@eir.ie
    2. State that you have been advised by ComReg to lodge a complaint
    3. Request details of a unique reference number to identify and track the individual complaint
    4. Give the full details of your complaint

Please be advised that your service provider must acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days and provide a time frame for response, resolution and any other escalation steps in the process.

If your service provider does not respond to your complaint within 10 working days or you feel your service provider has not adequately addressed the issues you have raised you can contact ComReg with the complaint reference number (if this has been supplied to you). We will review your complaint and refer the matter to your service provider if appropriate.

We will keep track of the progress of your complaint and when your service provider confirms that the issue is resolved with you we will examine the resolution of your case and close as appropriate.

Should you have any other queries or require any other assistance you can call our Consumer Care Team on 01 8049668 or email consumerline@comreg.ie

Yep ... that's standard procedure for all regulated or non-regulated telecommunications and internet related complaints with Comreg.

They will mediate with the provider.

But in all honestly, the email service is not mandatory, nor regulated and is free (until now). Yet it is cumbersome for Eir, as spam and abuse of said services have become a real hassle.

And for anyone that has locked themselves in to using an email-address on the domain that they own .. all I can say: it's your own fault. Nothing lasts forever. No private company will give you a service for free without having some other means of compensation. No private company will be running at a loss voluntarily .. that's for sure.

That train left the station 20 years ago, when the government privatised Telecom Eireann.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

Mygovid don't allow email changes as per their website the only option is to set up a new mygovid account

nagel wrote: »
    Mygovid don't allow email changes as per their website the only option is to set up a new mygovid account

That's just incompetence on their behalf. The same incompetence, that led to the privatisation of the national telecommunications network.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Marlow wrote: »
    Yep ... that's standard procedure for all regulated or non-regulated telecommunications and internet related complaints with Comreg.

They will mediate with the provider.

But in all honestly, the email service is not mandatory, nor regulated and is free (until now). Yet it is cumbersome for Eir, as spam and abuse of said services have become a real hassle.

And for anyone that has locked themselves in to using an email-address on the domain that they own .. all I can say: it's your own fault. Nothing lasts forever. No private company will give you a service for free without having some other means of compensation. No private company will be running at a loss voluntarily .. that's for sure.

That train left the station 20 years ago, when the government privatised Telecom Eireann.

/M

Did you mean "Don't own"?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Subscribers Posts: 41,468 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I switched from my very long term Eircom.Net address last year.
    It has become a nightmare for both spam and for inconsistent sending, lots of emails ending up in spam folders

However forwarding to my new email address in outlook has been very hit and miss... Every so often the "rule" just doesn't work, so I have my Eircom.net address included in windows 10 mail.

Can anyone tell me how they intend to charge?? Are they automatically adding it to my eir bill?? If so, do I have to cancel the address altogether or can I leave it as a dormant account to simply be forwarded at all times?

Did you mean "Don't own"?

Jup .. vindictive dictionary backfired on me there.

/M

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how they intend to charge?? Are they automatically adding it to my eir bill?? If so, do I have to cancel the address altogether or can I leave it as a dormant account to simply be forwarded at all times?

If you do not sort out a payment method within 2 months, the email address will simply be deleted. End of story.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

As regards charging this is what the email contains.

"At eir we are always looking to improve the service we provide to our customers. To be able to provide an improved eircom.net email service eir will be introducing a charge of €5.99 per month. When you log onto your eircom.net email account from the 31st of March 2020 you will be redirected to a payment page where you can sign up for the new service. The charge will be used to invest in the maintenance and improvement of the service going forward. "

swoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

Sounds like a tricky one. I don't have access to my eircom online account any more so I don't know what options there are online. You might be able to synch.

If you setup outlook (or other email program) on your PC and configure it to pull in your eircom emails, it will certainly bring in any new ones, until you get a chance to switch over.

I've just switch over to outlook.com myself. Synched it with outlook on my PC and all seems to be working well. My email address has changed of course, but that's it now, I'm finally free of eircom.

Thanks
    I found how to do it on Gmail. This should do the job https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?hl=en&visit_id=637163430054565592-3620857148&rd=1&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&oco=2

Will you leave us know if you are successful, I tried it earlier but made a hames of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have emails coming through, but still nothing from Eir...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement