Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Was that not Ireland on line? not sure, Eir want rid of eircom.net, I'm not sure why they just haven't closed it down, there must be some regulatory obstacle. Who in there right mind would pay €5 pm let alone €10pm for a s**** email service, I get why some initially had to hold on due to verifications, logins etc but no excuses anymore

No, Eir own and run the Indigo service. Black Knight got the IOL email service, among other legacy services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Spear wrote: »
    No, Eir own and run the Indigo service. Black Knight got the IOL email service, among other legacy services.

I’m still using it, I find it useful for signing up to things that I don’t intend to use for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭lukin

Who in there right mind would pay €5 pm let alone €10pm for a s**** email service, I get why some initially had to hold on due to verifications, logins etc but no excuses anymore

Because some people (like me) have had their eir email address for about 20 years and it's not really a runner to just use another email address in it's place.
    Ransomware by stealth really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

lukin wrote: »
    Because some people (like me) have had their eir email address for about 20 years and it's not really a runner to just use another email address in it's place.
    There's a strong possibility that Eir are going to shut the service down permanently anyway in the short-to-medium-term. You're likely just putting off the inevitable, and paying handsomely for the privilege

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Spear wrote: »

Not sure why I thought indigo was iol, gosh that's a plast from the past, genuinely didn't know it was still active, thanks for clarification :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I appreciate that but surely there must be alternatives (free), I understand some are nervous about Gmail but I've never had any issues, there are occasional bursts of spam but the filter catches them, I'm no IT expert but obviously would not open emails from unknown sources, click on links etc. But I do appreciate changing email address not always straight forward.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

But I do appreciate changing email address not always straight forward.

In hindsight it took me a good 6 months to move everything to gmail. You would be surprised at the number of services that will not allow a change, particularly if using your email address as your user name.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

While people still using eir email accounts but intend to let them go, make sure to remember to check you are not using those addresses as the secondary address for account recovery options with any other provider or Apps.

If you have any, now would be a good time to change them.
    As someone else said, it is like ransom

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Similarly the parents have had a family eircom email address for over 20 years. When the initial 5eur a month charge came I paid it with the intention of transferring them over to another provider but still have not got around to it.

Going to have to move them now, I know they use the email address for airlines, golf clubs and probably loads more.

Is gmail the best alternative?
    How hard to transfer all their emails across?
    On the house pc they use outlook app to access their emails so I presume I can set gmail up there if I go with gmail?

Eir definitely want out of the email/webmail or else they see lots of older people they can target who will pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Dear eircom.net customer,

We are writing to let you know that the monthly charge for webmail is increasing by €4.

These changes are effective from the 1st July 2021.The new amount will be applied automatically after the 1st of July 2021, no further action is required.

If you do not accept these changes you may cancel your account with us by logging into your account management page on the webmail login page as below and selecting cancel. Please note if you cancel you will no longer have access to your sent or received emails or webmail account.

eir remains committed to providing webmail for its customers.

€9.99 per months - wow - what a bargain :rolleyes:

I've everything moved a good while but hadn't bothered cancelling - this focuses the mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Similarly the parents have had a family eircom email address for over 20 years. When the initial 5eur a month charge came I paid it with the intention of transferring them over to another provider but still have not got around to it.

Going to have to move them now, I know they use the email address for airlines, golf clubs and probably loads more.

Is gmail the best alternative?
    How hard to transfer all their emails across?
    On the house pc they use outlook app to access their emails so I presume I can set gmail up there if I go with gmail?

Eir definitely want out of the email/webmail or else they see lots of older people they can target who will pay it.

I weighed Gmail up against Outlook at the time, but as I use the Outlook app on the PC I went with that. Well I think that was the reason anyway.

My main point being that it was easy to transfer all the existing emails over and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Service has been patchy for weeks. Finally deleted the last of my emails. But of course the 'Cancel subscription' button doesn't even work. Wouldn't expect anything less from Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Down for the last 12 hours, "- will be down for a little while pease try again later"

Advertisement