Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

I pay Eir €1,000 every year

To pay extra for email now seems a bit rich.

I wonder if everyone contacted Eir to ask when their contract is up - would Eir reverse the decision?

I am changing from Eir unless Eir reverses this additional charge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

adrian92 wrote: »
    I pay Eir €1,000 every year

To pay extra for email now seems a bit rich.

I wonder if everyone contacted Eir to ask when their contract is up - would Eir reverse the decision?

I am changing from Eir unless Eir reverses this additional charge

Which equates to "You're leaving eir".

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

nagel wrote: »
    Mygovid don't allow email changes as per their website the only option is to set up a new mygovid account

I noticed that too, I'd assume the only way to sort it would be a visit to the nearest Intreo office and start the registration process all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Some poster mentioned earlier in this thread that they use Lastpass.

Now there's a real problem if they decide to ever pull the plug, they are owned by Logmein & we all know what they done with their free remote access.

Anyone using lastpass should use the export feature to backup their usernames & passwords just in case.

I moved all my login & recovery options that used any eircom (eir) emails long ago, I had so many accounts over many many years and expected this day might come albeit I thought they would just shut it down.

What I done at the time was, I exported all my lastpass details & it was really easy to use the search feature to locate anything with an eircom address from that file, I then went to those accounts and used an email address from my own domain.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

- Gets service for free for up to 30yrs-ish

- Complains when finally being asked to pay for said

Its an email address, you don't get friggin adverse possession. Always had a good laugh at how amateur Mickstourbus@eircom.net always looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think its the amount people are being asked to pay that they are baulking at. Are you actually saying that Eir never priced in the cost of providing an email service from the outset!!! Anyone who actually believes that need to take a raincheck. This is a rip off plain and simple.

swoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Also the lack of notice and complete contempt they are showing for their customers - still no word from Eir.

I'm a paying Eir customer by the way.

I think you'd change your tune quick enough if Google gave you a few weeks' notice that they were going to start charging a ridiculously exhorbitant fee for GMail?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

Also the lack of notice and complete contempt they are showing for their customers - still no word from Eir.

I think you'd change your tune quick enough if Google gave you a few weeks' notice that they were going to start charging a ridiculously exhorbitant fee for GMail?

Gmail gets money from you alright, they just don’t charge you upfront for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

emffb1 wrote: »
    When you've had the same email address for over 20 years and also an eir address for work it's not so easy do.

Do you mean it's for your own business? Genuinely not being smart but having an eircom.net/eir.ie as a business email is very unprofessional imo. I can't understand when I see vans driving around with eircom.net emails. It's so simple to set up a professional domain and email address. Info@johnnysbusiness.ie etc

Again not trying to be smart. It could be the kick you need to change it. Set up a new one. Keep.the eircom.net one for a year and have an auto reply for the year. That should hit anyone who uses that email while you transfer over.

Edit: I see people have covered this already. I literally jumped in with a rage after reading first few posts 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Mormegil wrote: »
    Ha, just spent the last two hours scrolling back through 10 plus years of emails doing the same thing.

And that was just making the list, going to the websites and updating will be a job for another day :D

'Select All'

'Foward to Gmail"

Done :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 vinby

It would be helpful if eir should specify how they intend to improve the service so that customers can make an informed decision on whether or not to opt for their paid service.

I also use eircom.net via outlook and a mobile phone app and it works fine as long as I remember to send emails via webmail when not at home on eir broadband.

It would appear however that eir have been downgrading their service for years, and issues are not being addressed e.g.
    • New eircom.net addresses can no longer be added.
    • There are no instruction on the eir support site on how to configure eir email on a mail client such as outlook of a mobile phone’s email app.
    • If using a email client such as outlook or a mobile phone’s email app it is not possible to send an email unless you are connected to an email server (i.e. not possible to send from wi-fi in hotels, public places etc. unless the outgoing server is changed, which is not practical)
    • The version of Zimbra Web Client, the software used for their webmail service is 6 years old.
    • After signing into webmail, the screen hangs until “ Switch to the Standard (HTML) version “ is selected.
    • Eir webmail do not have a mobile app.

Also it is €5.99 per email address or per A/C holder if an A/C holder has more than 1 email address ?

Also it’s a bit strange that they are giving free Amazon Prime Video (worth €5.99) and have now deciding to charge €5.99 for their email service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Yet again eir continues to confirm my opinion of them as being the greatest amateur shower of f***s that ever landed on this planet. Thanks for the 4 weeks notice by the way. You really know how to treat your customers. And what do you know the one account I couldn't change to my new email address yes!!!!!!! you've guessed it

Eir themselves

Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Google don't need to charge for gmail. You are the product and they get all they need from your use of their service to make money. You are comparing oranges to carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

ED E wrote: »
    - Gets service for free for up to 30yrs-ish

- Complains when finally being asked to pay for said

Its an email address, you don't get friggin adverse possession. Always had a good laugh at how amateur Mickstourbus@eircom.net always looked.

Was always included in price of internet and eventually broadband.

A lot of small businesses that used eircom.net email were early adapters of email and advertising online and would be relatively old these days and not particularly tech savvy. An example is my uncle who is an excellent electrician who uses an eircom.net email address on his business cards and van. He was one of the first people I knew who had internet access back in the late 90's/2000's. The advance of tech got far ahead of his comfort level and he was happy to stick with what he knew, and more importantly, what worked.

Your joy at condescendingly laughing at these sort of people just makes you look like a sad snob.

But will we all just complain ?

Or leave Eir

They know it is quite a hassle for us to notify so many a new email address that most will just pay them

I hope that some of you can find the time to change.
    Not so easy, I know

Which equates to "You're leaving eir".

Well, maybe Eir will reverse this if enough people tell them that they will leave Eir.

I shall stay with Eir if this proposed charge is not introduced

+1

When I got Eircom Broadband over the old dial up all those years ago, part of the package was the email account that came with it.

Now thay want people to pay extra for something that was included in the original contract is pretty tasteless and greedy :mad:

I'm not paying extra on what I'm already supposed to be getting as per of original contract.

So I will be cancelling my Eircom Broadband , bye bye greedy Eircom

Agreed. Greedy Eir. My 1,000 every year to Eir is gone elsewhere

You can get a domain of your own and email hosting from Blacknight for under €21 a year. Makes paying Eir €83 a year for a crappy service on their domain, not yours, look totally ridiculous.

Oh and yeah I'm well aware that with Google services you are the product, that's why I don't use any of them

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I am leaving Eir.
    Can anyone suggest a provider for TV and internet ?

Been with Digiweb for years and find them very good.

As for TV, with Freesat and Saorview I have more stuff recorded than I have time to watch, €0 a month :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the vast majority of eircom.net addresses are not Eir customers and probably haven't been for years.

Vodafone got rid of their service some years back, there wasn't even an option to pay to keep the address, they just shut it down. ISPs don't want to run email services, they can't compete with the likes of Google and Microsoft and they don't make any money from it.

Back in the 90s it was expected that your ISP would give you an email address; for them it was just a matter of spinning up an Exim or Qmail box and attaching some storage. Now the storage requirements are potentially huge, you need 3rd party AV and spam services and a slick web frontend that will nonetheless never be as good as Gmail. And support.

I expect Eir will establish if there's any real demand for the paid service and if there is (which I doubt) they'll outsource it, otherwise they'll shut it down completely after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

On original p.o. the Tribune article gives a link to Eir support supposedly for more info, however, there's no info there that I can find.
    Have an eircom email address since before computers were invented, I use eir broadband, how do I cancel my email address so they don't charge me automatically when this comes into play???
    I can't see any way of actually cancelling it

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

On original p.o. the Tribune article gives a link to Eir support supposedly for more info, however, there's no info there that I can find.
    Have an eircom email address since before computers were invented, I use eir broadband, how do I cancel my email address so they don't charge me automatically when this comes into play???
    I can't see any way of actually cancelling it

As I understand it from their site once you log in to webmail after 31/03/20 you will be directed to a payment portal to set something up. It does not look like an existing BB/phone/TV customer will have the new charge automatically tacked onto their bill. So if you do nothing then it will cease to exist after 60 days. However clearer info is likely in coming weeks.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the vast majority of eircom.net addresses are not Eir customers and probably haven't been for years.

Vodafone got rid of their service some years back, there wasn't even an option to pay to keep the address, they just shut it down. ISPs don't want to run email services, they can't compete with the likes of Google and Microsoft and they don't make any money from it.

Back in the 90s it was expected that your ISP would give you an email address; for them it was just a matter of spinning up an Exim or Qmail box and attaching some storage. Now the storage requirements are potentially huge, you need 3rd party AV and spam services and a slick web frontend that will nonetheless never be as good as Gmail. And support.

I expect Eir will establish if there's any real demand for the paid service and if there is (which I doubt) they'll outsource it, otherwise they'll shut it down completely after a while.
    I am an Eir customer. 1,000 yearly. They confirmed I must pay them more to retain the email address

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I’ve imported all my emails to Gmail. Was actually easy enough. But changing all my accounts to my new address is a pain in the h*le. I’ve been meaning to get away from Eir mail for ages. It’s been giving a bit of bother on and off recently. This was the excuse needed. It wouldn’t be worth 10cent a month never mind the price they now want to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭gooseygander

medoc wrote: »
    I’ve imported all my emails to Gmail. Was actually easy enough. But changing all my accounts to my new address is a pain in the h*le. I’ve been meaning to get away from Eir mail for ages. It’s been giving a bit of bother on and off recently. This was the excuse needed. It wouldn’t be worth 10cent a month never mind the price they now want to charge.

How did you import, I have just set up a new gmail account and am fairly cluelees on all things tech so step by step info would be a great help, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

How did you import, I have just set up a new gmail account and am fairly cluelees on all things tech so step by step info would be a great help, thanks

On a PC/Laptop if you click on the little “cog” symbol on the right and click settings. There is an import tab. Enter your Eircom address and password. It asks do you want to leave the emails on the Eir server after transfer or delete them. I imported about 1.9 gb of emails going back years. They come into your gmail box as unread. Click all and mark as read. I’m describing this from memory. Any issues and I’ll be on pc tomorrow and describe it in detail if needed.

I wonder if the Eir Marketing Manager will receive a bonus for this step to drive existing customers away from Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I wouldn't mind paying if there was to be an improvement in the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭MB05

medoc wrote: »
    On a PC/Laptop if you click on the little “cog” symbol on the right and click settings. There is an import tab. Enter your Eircom address and password. It asks do you want to leave the emails on the Eir server after transfer or delete them. I imported about 1.9 gb of emails going back years. They come into your gmail box as unread. Click all and mark as read. I’m describing this from memory. Any issues and I’ll be on pc tomorrow and describe it in detail if needed.

Did you have your old emails in folders or just in the inbox? Just wondering do you now have to re-sort them into various folders or did the folders come over too. And how did the sent items come in?

Advertisement